Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
The live in female companion of a guy at work is laid off and drawing unemployment benefits. The guy is in the same situation as I am,...one year on the job with layoffs currently happening and another heavy round scheduled for October and December.

He filed bankruptcy 2 years ago.

His unemployed, live in companion took her (very nice) 2002 Dodge Durango down and traded it in on a 2009 Dodge Challenger,....and got the $4500 cash for clunkers deal on it.

I have no idea how an unemployed woman who is living with a man who filed bankruptcy 2 years ago,..and has less than a year in a very shakey job, qualifies for a $30,000 car.

I drive a 5 year old truck that I paid cash for. In fact,..everything I have is paid for,..and the government is taking my tax money and donating it to people who have demonstrated that they can't handle their finances.

The above is the only situation that I'm personally aware of,..but this has got to be the craziest program I've ever heard of.

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
It's called redistribution of wealth. To take some liberties with some song lyrics, we worked hard for her money.

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have wondered from the git-go how many of these cars are being driven away by the very people who defaulted on loans that precipitated the whole credit fiasco.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I traded in a '99 Cherokee that both of my teen kids had learned to drive on. It was in sad shape, blue book was around $1000. It was scheduled to go in the shop on Monday July 27th for around $1000 in repairs when I found out about the program on Thursday the 24th. I traded as soon as the dealership opened on Monday, the 1st day of the program.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's a good thing BHO has secured his future and will likely make millions after his term is up...........because his resume will be riddled with failure and when the dust settles around "Cash for
Clunkers" this one will be near the top !

Will he now bailout all the people who bought into this fiasco and who later find it impossible to keep making payments?

BHO has the band aide approach to fixing what he see's wrong, but when the band-aide falls off the soar will still be there.

Who expects car sales to do anything but plummet after the program ends next Monday?.........The band-aide is about to fall off!!!!

Hunting the "Roar",
Mark Luce

IC B2

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Yeah, but,..these people are belly up busted. Even with the cash for clunkers money, the payment on the car is going to stress their finances,...and if the guy gets laid off,..which is looking to be almost certain, they're not going to be able to pay on the car and will lose it,..and somebody will take the hit.

To top it off,..the total trade in they got on the 2002 Durango, including the $4500 cash for clunkers money, is right at the retail value for the vehicle.

Bottom line,..some car dealer get's a $4500 bonus from the government,..some totally financially irresponsible people get to drive a shiny new car for a while,..and the responsible people get to pay for both the dealer and the inept fools who will dig themserlves another financial hole for a new trinket.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I tried but they wouldn't take Les!

Sassy

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
hey dammit!

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
thought about it.....have a '95 Jeep Cherokee that needs bout $1200 worth of work.......decided i would rather fix the Jeep than having a new car payment......

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
gov't got themselves in the auto industry.Know they need to generate sales

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
IC B3

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I know an older,early 60's, gentleman who traded in a old and in need of repair pick up on a Jeep Patriot. He got 3500 plus 3500 matching from dodge. The only way he would of qualified for the 4500 was to go to a car as the difference in gas milage between what you are trading and buying is what qualifies your level of gov't teat milk.
He paid cash.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Heard that as of today 473,000 cars have been sold in the clunker program

New growth business-- Repo man

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I've looked hard at the Clunker thing, but I can't get the math to work out right for me. With my family size, I've gotta have a full-size SUV, which will only get me a $3,500 Clunker rebate. (Hell, the new model shows only a 1 MPG improvement over my 10 year old truck!). None of the mfgrs are dealing AT ALL on full-size SUV's. So, to save $3,500, I've gotta buy a new $50,000+ SUV, which will suffer $10,000 to $15,000 in depreciation in the first year alone.

Then, they gov't will take my mechanically-sound current vehicle, and destroy it, so the planet will reap the benefit of my 1 mpg improvement. And any poor soul who might've bought my current vehicle for $3,000 to $4,000, and been able to get another 75,000 miles or more out of it, is out of luck.

Exactly who is this program supposed to help?

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Bristoe
I have no idea how an unemployed woman who is living with a man who filed bankruptcy 2 years ago,..and has less than a year in a very shakey job qualifies for a $30,000 car.

I drive a 5 year old truck that I paid cash for. In fact,..everything I have is paid for,..and the government is taking my tax money and donating it to people who have demonstrated that they can't handle their finances.

The above is the only situation that I'm personally aware of,..but this has got to be the craziest program I've ever heard of.

Yep, and those kind of folks are the ones most likely to use this thieving program, and us kind of folks are paying for it, thanks to all the asswipes who voted for Obama. I drive a 99 GMC and it is paid for. I can afford new, but it is well maintained and works. Next truck won't be a GMC though.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
As govt. programs go this was actually one of the better ideas.
Sure there have been glitches, but what govt. program does not. They passed a nearly $800 billion stimulus package months ago. Hundreds of billions went to GM and the banks who pissed it away with million dollar bonuses to their executives. This program got $3 billion of that money and is geared towards middle class people with good jobs and good credit. If the banks loan money to people who cannot pay it back that is their problem and why so many have failed. You would think they would have learned their lesson.

There have been 3-4 threads about the program in the last 3 weeks and I have read many posts where people brag about how they are too proud to accept a Govt. handout. If you cashed the $600 checks GWB sent everyone a few years ago you accepted a handout. If you claim deductions on your taxes on, you are accepting a handout just the same as people who participated in the CARS program.

My home is paid for so I can no longer claim the interest on my taxes. I do not own my own business so I cannot buy a new deisel pickup and claim it as a business expense. My kids are grown so I can no longer claim them as a deduction or claim child care. My youngest is still in college and since I have too much money in the bank we do not qualify for any financial aid. We live a healthy lifestyle and have been lucky with accidents so I have never been able to claim any medical expenses on my taxes. I sleep well at night after finding a program that will save me some of my tax money. I wonder how many people get the amount of taxes they owe reduced by $4500 each year by claiming tax deductions.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
i aint to proud to take it, hell i figure it would be me getting my own money back......but i would rather dump $1200 into fixing my paid off clunker than take on a new car payment.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
As far as idiotic treatises go,......

you've done very well.

"....one of the better ideas.... "

gimme a fargin' break !

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Apparently no one has told you yet that YOUR TAXES being given back to YOU is not a hand-out..............

I have a niece that did this in Spokane after recently being inlisted in the USAF. She traded in some car that wasn't really all that bad, if I remember correctly, for a new Toyota Corolla.

Now she has a payment she didn't have and got rid of car that ran and was getting 30mpg.

My brother failed to teach her anything in the ways of finances.

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
The cash for clunkers deal is going to benefit the car dealers much more than anybody else.

The dealers are going to use the promise of the government money as leverage to offer people virtually *nothing* on their trade ins,..then take the $4500 and run.

The buyers will end up paying about as much for the vehicle as they would have anyway in this market,....maybe even more.

It's just a game the government is playing to get people to buy new cars.

The taxpayers are taking the hit,...the car dealers are putting the money in their pockets,..and the buyers are getting taken for a ride.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
If you cashed the $600 checks GWB sent everyone a few years ago you accepted a handout. If you claim deductions on your taxes on, you are accepting a handout just the same as people who participated in the CARS program.

What a load of [bleep]. Giving me back a fraction of what I paid in is a handout? Then WTF do you call it when illegals get a stimulus check? Tax refund?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

474 members (06hunter59, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 2ndwind, 1badf350, 257 roberts, 48 invisible), 1,754 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,035
Posts18,520,982
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.