Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
For those following the development of the 404/375 Ruger cartridge on the 'Bib Bores Only' forum, I thought you might enjoy seeing some pics and a brief description of the particulars on the use of the 404 on African game. The hunts took place between August 1 and 21 this year. All Moz hunting took place in Coutada 10 from Gert Saaiman's camp and we used the fly camp formerly used by Harry Manners as the Argo launch site when we hunted the swamp.

As the hunts were principally intended to be for Cape buffalo (Mozambique) and elephant (Zimbabwe), the rifle carried continuously was the 404 Ruger African and therefore, used for most shots.

Although no elephant was shot, we saw over 350, mostly cows, calves, and younger bulls. We had several very close encounters in the mopane and riverine growth, including a purposeful massed charge by a herd of ~100+ animals that we narrowly avoided through a running tactical retreat to higher ground. Learned much about elephant hunting strategy, for the next trip.

First buff was wounded by my hunting partner (broken leg at about 80 yds). As the bull tried to rejoin the herd, there were unsuccessful shots at ~100 yds and 150 yds by the hunter and the PH. With permission from the hunter and PH, the 404 spined the buff going away with 1 shot at ~200 yds. It required holding a sliver of light over the tail, as the Swift 400 AFs are zeroed at 125 yds. He dropped to the shot and was shortly finished off. The rifle in this photo is a Rem M700 in 416RM.
[Linked Image]

My buff, shot frontally at ~65 yds. First shot was a midline heart shot, with buff spinning twice in place and standing facing me again at slight angle. Second shot entered at the junction of neck & chest, slightly to the right and coursed through the liver. Couldn't find the bullets in the abdomen, but buff dropped immediately on impact of the second bullet. Many hours of following this small herd's trail through forest and swamp produced the shots at last light. The rifle is the Ruger Hawkeye 404/375 Ruger with a Rimrock stock.
[Linked Image]

Reedbuck taken with the 404. Extent of damage was quite unexpected for me, given the AF's use on such light game, but it worked.
[Linked Image]

This waterbuck was taken in Moz with a 300 WSM rather than the 404.
[Linked Image]

Landing strip and a few fly camp scenes in Coutada 10 showing Senna trackers and camp staff.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i399.photobucket.com/albums/pp77/wildcatter264/AfricaAug2009034.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i399.photobucket.com/albums/pp77/wildcatter264/AfricaAug2009032.jpg[/img]

Kudu taken in southern Zimbabwe at 260 yds with the 404 and Barnes Solids. When opportunity arises while elephant hunting, it's tough to turn it down. The shot was a bit far back, but excellent tracking by the scouts and trackers brought this one to the bag.
[img]http://i399.photobucket.com/albums/pp77/wildcatter264/AfricaAug2009121.jpg[/img]

Hope you enjoy the photos and brief report. Happy days!

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

GB1

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Welcome back. Glad the trip went safely and that the wildcatting project seems to have met your goals.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Outstanding! I am just plain tickled that you carried this through and took it to Africa. Great story and great pictures.

And does this ever bring back memories from my trip to Moz in 2006. My PH and I stayed at Gert's camp and worked out of the same fly camp on the same -- I am sure -- Argoes into the same swamp.

I'm thinking your bull might be a little bigger than the one I shot with my .404 Jeffery... smile.

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great pictures and story. It must be very satisfying to dream up a wildcat, build it and then use it successfully in Africa. Congratulations!!

Kevin Haile
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Wildcatter: Fabulous post and very interesting.Looks like that wildcat has the muscle to do the job! Congrats on a great trip.

What bullets did you use in the 300WSM? Were you happy with the performance of those 400 gr Swift AFrames?

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Great photos, nice trophies, but the rifle in the top photo is a M-70 Win., not a Rem. 700...:):)

Love that 404 Ruger..My latest that I am building this time is a 416 Rem. why not another 416 Ruger? Well,I have about 2000 rounds of loaded 416 Rem ammo and almost that much brass..dammit!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
You sure about that Ray? I squinted long and hard at it and couldn't see the M70 safety or the extractor (assuming it's a blued extractor). I could also swear that I can see the Remington safety slipped to the rear (safe) position but that could be my eyes - and my 17" CRT monitor.

Back to the rifle, did you recover any bullets?

"This duty fell upon me and was the worst job I ever had in my life.
I have known men I would rather shoot than the worst of dogs."

Frank Wild
Second in Command
Endurance 1914-1916
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Outstanding photos and great caliber! How big was that kudu? He looks big! Congratulations on ALL your fine trophies. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
The kudu is an estimated 55", but haven't measured it. I'm happy with him and that counts the most with me. Thanks, Jorge.

Ray, the rifle in the 1st photo is indeed a Rem M700, although the photo may not have been clear enough to show it.

The bullets used in the 300WSM were my usual in this cartridge, the Nosler 180 gn Protected Point Partitions. Very accurate in this rifle and usually do the job. I was very impressed with the performance of the AFs - I'm convinced that they are the right expanding bullet in .423" for DG. No bullets recovered but dead critters in all cases. The proof is in the pudding, although I contributed little to the bullet designers in the way of recovered projectiles, other than confirming that the bullets did the job they were intended for.

Thank you all for the encouragement you provided in the development phases of the project. In particular, Ray for allowing me to draw on his experience with the 404 Jeffery and to Dennis (muledeer) for originating the concept. Cheers!

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That is an EXCELLENT Kudu! I would have shot him too!

What camps and PH's in Zim?

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Hunted out of Nengasha Safaris' Beitbridge West camp with PH Roadie Tourle.

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One of the area's that I wanted to hunt in Zim but thus far have not. The one time that I had that area on my agenda the rains had washed out a Road and bridge into the concession area and Zim being Zim the road had not yet been repaired. I have sent Clients in there and they all had a terrific time seeing lots of game. It seemed as though the poaching problems that had so disrupted things in area's further North and West was not nearly as bad down there. Did you see much evidence of Poaching such as snares etc? See a lot of Game in general in the region? Man, I miss Zimbabwe.....

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
In the Maramani communal area there was some evidence of poaching, with a few snares removed by the scouts. There was game present and we saw PG species every day. Many impala, including some really outstanding rams. Very good kudu, some eland, and other smaller species. The new concession holders in Beitbridge West are working with the rural council to control poaching. In addition, this area has been included in the transfrontier conservation area (Botswana, Zimbabwe, RSA), with a plan to relocate the people and their livestock. Should improve the hunting significantly.

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
VERY glad to hear the good report. Thanks.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Great stuff. And all along I've been told that a Remington 700 just isn't fit for that sort of stuff. Must be the same reason the 700 action is found on hundreds of sniper rifles spread around the world. Just doesn't work, doncha know!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by beechdrvr
Great stuff. And all along I've been told that a Remington 700 just isn't fit for that sort of stuff. Must be the same reason the 700 action is found on hundreds of sniper rifles spread around the world. Just doesn't work, doncha know!

One could argue that, in this case, that the M700 didn't work. wink He'd likely have drifted the buff with a M70 or Ruger.

"This duty fell upon me and was the worst job I ever had in my life.
I have known men I would rather shoot than the worst of dogs."

Frank Wild
Second in Command
Endurance 1914-1916

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 16gage, 160user, 16penny, 50 invisible), 2,850 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,493
Posts18,490,421
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.