Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
My GGF served with the 7th Ga. calvary.He died in 1901 one yr. before my dad was born,was reported as living with one of his sons near Abbeville,Ga. I do not know where his gravesite is.

Ron

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
You are part of American history Sam. Very cool.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My Great Great Grandfather.

Biography

Deas was born in Camden, South Carolina, a son of James Sutherland Deas and Margaret Rebecca (Chestnut) Deas. He was a cousin of future fellow Confederate general James Chestnut, Jr.. He was educated in South Carolina and in Caudebec, France. In 1835, his family moved to Mobile, Alabama, where he initially engaged in the mercantile business. He served in the army during the Mexican-American War. After the war, he became a prominent cotton broker in Alabama and amassed a significant fortune from his speculation. He married Helen Gaines Lyon on May 16, 1853.

With the passage of Alabama's ordinance of secession, Deas enlisted in the Confederate army in the Alabama Volunteer Infantry. He served as aide-de-camp to General Joseph E. Johnston during the First Battle of Manassas. He was commissioned as colonel of the 22nd Alabama Infantry, a regiment he helped raise and equip, purchasing 800 Enfield rifles with gold. He led his men at the Battle of Shiloh, where assumed command of the brigade on the first day of fighting before falling with a severe wound the following day.[1]

After recovering. he commanded a brigade under General Braxton Bragg in the Kentucky Campaign. His command consisted of the 19th Alabama, 22nd Alabama, 25th Alabama, 39th Alabama, 50th Alabama, 17th Alabama Battalion Sharpshooters, and Dent's Alabama Battery. He was appointed as a brigadier general on December 13, 1862, and fought at the Battle of Chickamauga, where his men routed the Union division of Philip H. Sheridan and killed Brig. Gen. William H. Lytle. They also captured seventeen artillery pieces.[2]

Deas continued to lead his brigade through the Atlanta Campaign and the subsequent fighting in Tennessee, where he was again wounded at the Battle of Franklin. He participated in the Carolinas Campaign, but took ill at Raleigh, North Carolina, in March 1865 and had to leave his field command prior to the surrender at Bennett Place.

After the war, Deas returned to his cotton brokerage. He owned a seat on the New York Stock Exchange.[3]

Deas is buried in Woodlawn Cemetery in New York City.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That is cool.....Outstanding service!

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
My Great Great Grandfather.

Biography

Deas was born in Camden, South Carolina, a son of James Sutherland Deas and Margaret Rebecca (Chestnut) Deas. He was a cousin of future fellow Confederate general James Chestnut, Jr.. He was educated in South Carolina and in Caudebec, France. In 1835, his family moved to Mobile, Alabama, where he initially engaged in the mercantile business. He served in the army during the Mexican-American War. After the war, he became a prominent cotton broker in Alabama and amassed a significant fortune from his speculation. He married Helen Gaines Lyon on May 16, 1853.

With the passage of Alabama's ordinance of secession, Deas enlisted in the Confederate army in the Alabama Volunteer Infantry. He served as aide-de-camp to General Joseph E. Johnston during the First Battle of Manassas. He was commissioned as colonel of the 22nd Alabama Infantry, a regiment he helped raise and equip, purchasing 800 Enfield rifles with gold. He led his men at the Battle of Shiloh, where assumed command of the brigade on the first day of fighting before falling with a severe wound the following day.[1]

After recovering. he commanded a brigade under General Braxton Bragg in the Kentucky Campaign. His command consisted of the 19th Alabama, 22nd Alabama, 25th Alabama, 39th Alabama, 50th Alabama, 17th Alabama Battalion Sharpshooters, and Dent's Alabama Battery. He was appointed as a brigadier general on December 13, 1862, and fought at the Battle of Chickamauga, where his men routed the Union division of Philip H. Sheridan and killed Brig. Gen. William H. Lytle. They also captured seventeen artillery pieces.[2]

Deas continued to lead his brigade through the Atlanta Campaign and the subsequent fighting in Tennessee, where he was again wounded at the Battle of Franklin. He participated in the Carolinas Campaign, but took ill at Raleigh, North Carolina, in March 1865 and had to leave his field command prior to the surrender at Bennett Place.

After the war, Deas returned to his cotton brokerage. He owned a seat on the New York Stock Exchange.[3]

Deas is buried in Woodlawn Cemetery in New York City.

[Linked Image]

I see no mention of whether or not he used a toothpick instead of a saber in battle. grin

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congratulations on finding your ancestor Sam. Interesting stuff.

My G-Grandfather is buried in the local cemetery. He was a 1st Lt in Co D Waul's Texas Legion. Was at the battle of Chickasaw Bluff in La. Got sick and was sent home. Never recovered enough to get sent back on active duty but managed as an enrolling officer here in Texas.

He had two first cousins that did get killed. One was in the 13th Mississippi and was killed on the second day of Gettysburg when Barksdale drove in the salient.

The other was in the 40th Mississippi and was wounded and captured at Peachtree Creek outside Atlanta. Died a few weeks later in a yankee hospital in Memphis.

BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Most of my dad's side of the family is buried about 25 miles from here. Includes August Erb, Civil War veteran wounded at Gettysburg. A veteran from the Spanish American War, forgot the name but he served in the 3rd US Volunter Cavalry (Teddy Roosevelt's outfit). The last 3 women in the family that had a certain name; first died old the next two in infancy, no one in the family will even consider using the name anymore.
Also 2 individuals; one marked "Unkown" the other "Died Man Found at Folker's Bridge". Makes me sad to think that their families will never know what happened to them.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
John Moses...made good for the Rebs., and is buried in NEW YORK???? A little ironic! I take no sides on the war...I was born in NH, and still live here. All of my people came to this country after the war as immigrants. Family history is a great thing. The war was a terrible thing. Lost lives and families divided. Horrible attrocities. Not to sound like it will sound, but...I rarely hear of "Northerns" speaking of the war and the "Rebs". I do however hear a lot of "Southern" folk still carrying on about the "Damn Yankees". I wish I could understand it, but I guess it is a pride thing for those who grew up in the south...and really, I mean no disrespect, just an observation. Some day i hope to get a 1-on-1 perspective from a person who is deeply rooted in the south. JC

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by fatjack34
John Moses...made good for the Rebs., and is buried in NEW YORK???? A little ironic! I take no sides on the war...I was born in NH, and still live here. All of my people came to this country after the war as immigrants. Family history is a great thing. The war was a terrible thing. Lost lives and families divided. Horrible attrocities. Not to sound like it will sound, but...I rarely hear of "Northerns" speaking of the war and the "Rebs". I do however hear a lot of "Southern" folk still carrying on about the "Damn Yankees". I wish I could understand it, but I guess it is a pride thing for those who grew up in the south...and really, I mean no disrespect, just an observation. Some day i hope to get a 1-on-1 perspective from a person who is deeply rooted in the south. JC

Both my sides of my family were from the South. I grew up learning southern traditions and history, many times from folks who didn't even know they were imparting that kind of knowledge. It's just how we did things, talked, what we ate, etc. My family on my Father's side left and went west during Reconstruction. My Mother's family nearly all still live in various parts of the old Confederacy.

A defeated people, a devastated countryside, an usurped government, and economic oppression. A way of life gone forever. What else do you want to know?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Many left the South after the war. There was little opportunity for a former "rebel" after being vanquished. New York City was the center of economic activity for the nation. Why not go there? One could sit around lamenting the old days and being bitter about the defeat, or one could move on. Sometimes the "moving on" was literal. My family went to Iowa, stayed about ten years, and then came here in the 1880's. There is no honor in wallowing in self-pity and enduring unnecessary economic hardship. This is especially true if one is married and has children to care for or aged parents. Even if there was honor in it, duty comes first. General Lee said so.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hi Jack,

I don't believe I harp on the War between the States. I saw a thread about folks ancestors that had served in the Confederacy and just made a post.

The Man had to make a living and had lost almost everything he had in the war. He amassed a considerable fortune in New York, which we got none of by the way mad.

After the war, records were intentionally destroyed and folks changed the spelling of their names in order to make a fresh start and keep what possessions they had from being taken from them.

I believe he should have stayed south, as most of his family did. My Great Grandfather did stay in the South and paid a good price for it.

I'm an American.

However, Had I been there, I would have been shooting as many Yankees as humanly possible. If they didn't want to be shot they should have stayed at home. grin

JM.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
On my Mother's side, 6 out of 7 brothers went through the Civil War in the Army of Northern Virginia. All of them survived, and with no wounds as well.
My Great Grandfather, on her side, was the youngest at 10, and stayed home to run the farm.
After the war, he killed two Union Soldiers who, along with a carpet bagger, had come to the farm to 'requisition' cattle and other property. He fired from the barn hay loft when one of the men 'laid hands' on his ma.
For 6 months he hid out in an abandoned coal mine up on Brushy Mountain, The feds never found him, and eventually it was all forgotten. Well, not forgotten by the family. laugh

Sam......

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Many of the records were destroyed in a fire in Richmond.
Local Co seats have a lot of muster records.
Bill

If you're not having fun; you're not doing it right!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Mom has all our family history, by the way that is really cool Mannlicher. Les

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Great thread, Sam, with very cool additions by the gang.

I best look into my great-grandmother's maiden name of Lincoln.

JK!

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
John Moses....Please, I mean no disrespect, and I didn't imply you were ranting...if I did, I didn't mean it to come off that way. Like I said, I don't understand some of the sntiment from my perspective. Although if I had been raised in the South and my family was there for generations and had been on the losing end of an invading army from within, I too would probably be a little sore. It isn't right to pillage and burn cities and farms, even under war time doctrines. But again, I have no direct connection, so i guess that is why I asked about the strong lasting sentiment. thanks again. JC

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Next week, I will be visiting my Great Grandfather's grave. I have never visited before, and just found out recently where it was.
He was born in 1838, and died in 1921. He is buried in Fayetteville Georgia, the CSA Cemetery.

Jack did the entire stretch of the Civil War. He joined with his brother, and his first cousin. All three were lucky, no sickness, no wounds and none of them died.
He never rose above the rank of Private. Company D, 46th Infantry Regiment, Army of Tennessee.
He fought at Jackson, Chickamauga, Atlanta.........
Lee surrendered on April 9th, Jack hung up his rifle on April 26th.
Cool.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think it's great.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Fatjack ... think in terms of Reconstruction (one hell of a misnomer). That part of the Civil War gets short shrift. History, as it is taught by the victors (yankees), and as it has been further subverted by progressive revisionists, portray southerners as evil, uneducated, slavery bent monsters. Your original post mentioned you not hearing northerners referring to southerners as "rebs." But how often have you heard northerners joke about so-called uneducated, backwards (i.e., stupid) southerners, usually told while making fun with an exaggerated southern drawl. Northerners have their fair share of disrespect towards southerners.

If your family lived through Reconstruction, you would have no trouble understanding. Southerners were murdered, raped and pillaged by the folks professing to "preserve the union." Yankees and carpetbaggers were placed in authority and southerners were fair game. If they resisted, they were outlaws. Their land and businesses were stolen. And to this day, most northern folks believe the war was about slavery. States rights ... resistance to federal control (hallmarks of the founding principles to this country) are what the war was about. The slavery issue is disproportionately, and absolutely made to cover over everything else.

That's not to say that southerners hate northerners, generally speaking. There absolutely is a strong difference in culture between the north and south. My Great-Great Grandfather also fought for the Confederacy.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Gringo...excellent dissertation! I can see more clearly some of the deeper rooted issues at face value! Thanks for helping! JC

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

320 members (280shooter, 204guy, 219 Wasp, 17CalFan, 257robertsimp, 1_deuce, 38 invisible), 2,490 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,239
Posts18,485,851
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.