Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
So would I.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
It cost too much to get the engines to comply to emission standards. Combine that with the lower acceptance of diesel engines in this country it doesn't make money sence for a manufacturer to R&D a diesel whatever to bring to market for such a small market %. Until a larger market is seen by the manufacturer or demanded by the consumer they will still be niche markets that few dabble in.
As far as Toyota or Ford or whoever getting the buerocrats to accept them, they already have- as long as the engines meet emissions- which is why you do not see them here.
Heck, Chrysler has diesel motors in PT Cruisers, Calibers, Grand Caravans, Town & Country Vans, Liberty, Grand Cherokee, and possibly more that I cannot remmeber. The only one that makes it too this market is the Grand Cherokee and that is all due to emission regulations.
Dodge and GM scrapped the 1/2 ton diesels for now due to lower profitability that R&D would produce- especially being under the microscope after the BK, it wasn't a smart direction to move in. Chrysler and GM spending millions on R&D for a very very small market segment would be all over the headlines. Could you see the headlines for them? "Gm & Chrysler spending millions of taxpayer dollars on new diesle truck while Toyota and Honda produce gas mizers". I don't think I would want to be under fire for that and can't blame them.

Hemi

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
GM Ford and Dodge blocked Toyota from bringing a diesel to N. America years ago.Doubt we'll ever see one for sale for our markets.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by damifinowfish
Ford puts a small diesel in a ranger and exports them.

They also export one that is a true 4 door crew cab. Pizzes me off they wont sell them here.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by 7 STW
GM Ford and Dodge blocked Toyota from bringing a diesel to N. America years ago.Doubt we'll ever see one for sale for our markets.

Have never heard that before. Do you have any links or information? Not busting your balls, really would like to see where you got that info.

Hemi

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
http://www.dieselenginemotor.com/diesel_engine_history.html

It is an interesting read, old Rudolph wanted to design an engine that could be fueled by biomass and had better fuel economy and efficiency than the steam engine. Sound familiar?

NRA Life Member
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Still hear that in the next few years Ford and Dodge were coming out with a Diesel half ton. Ford probably. Dodge since Fiat owns them and they are supposed to become the "Ram" brand who knows what Dodge will do. Had they came out with a Diesel half ton for the 2010 like they said I might have gotten one instead of my 3/4 ton.

I think its viable and probably a great idea for alot of vehicles.

You want a vehicle with great mileage and that scoots along fast try a Diesel Volkwagen Jetta. Last I looked at one it was rated at 44 mpg on the highway.

Dutch Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Get me a compact pickup with that jetta engine, and I'm starting to write the check..... JMO, Dutch.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
No one really makes a compact pickup anymore. They're all midsized.

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The best combo I have found so far is my diesel jetta and a f150 supercrew. A friend just got 56mpg with his diesel Jetta on the highway the other day, I average about 41mpg with mine in summer.

"Jerry is dead, Phish suck time to get a job "
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd settle for the Toyota Hilux diesel.

That Mahindra thing has too much overhang at the rear to be a good off road truck.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The Afghan Border patrol and the Police use the Ford Ranger 4X4 crew cab. It looks mo better than the Hilux toyo, sports a diesel and from what I'm told it's about as indestructable a truck as there is.
Would REALLY like to have one.

When people face the possibility of freezing or starving there is little chance they are going to listen to unfounded claims of climate doomsday from a bunch of ultra-rich yacht sailing private jet-setting carbon-spewing hypocrite elites
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

528 members (1badf350, 2500HD, 1941USMC, 219 Wasp, 1lessdog, 1minute, 51 invisible), 2,444 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,899
Posts18,518,456
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.