Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by TacticalIntervention
F TR Shooting like that a bunch of us will be glad you stayed in Texas. Thats damm fine shooting.

I think making Master in F TR s the hardest of all the shooting sports. My opinion no one roast me for it.

Thanks. For some strange reason I was just started off shooting great that day which was really weird because I was so tired. I work way too much and travel way to frequently, and I thought I was going to fall asleep or really screw up on the line. But the rifle was shooting superbly and the load is just terrific. At the end of the first 10 shots for record, I was down only 2 and I just tried to stay focused. I lost two more points just towards the end but finished strong with a perfect X. I was pumped. But at the pit change, I got tired and hot and really had a tough time on the second match, 185-2 (I know, pitiful). I was feeling pretty bad but did the pit thing again and tried to calm down. I wanted to get into the 190s again on the third match but only managed a 189-3. That's Expert score for a total, but the first match showed me that I could do better.

I'm not going to roast you or disagree with you on your statement. I happen to agree.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TooDogs
Well, when I go off to a important (to me) match I post somewhere here that I'm off. Might as well post here.
This weekend 9/19-20 is the Racine County Line Rifle Club 600 Yard Mid-Range Regional Tournament. NRA Registered. Two day match. Prone, four gun, Match Rifle, Service Rifle, Palma, & F-Class. I shot this match last year, day one only. It was the first time I shot F-TR. Only had a 10x scope that day. Learned a bunch!
Including that match and the others I've shot (all 600 yard matches) this year my NRA classification card reads "F-Class Mid-Range Expert" as of 7/25/2009. Pretty damn happy about that.
Looks to be good weather for Sat., could be rain on Sun. I've learned a bit about what to do with mirage this summer, hope to use that knowledge this weekend. Here is a link to the Racine program 2009_Match_Programs/090919-20_Racine.pdf

Good weekend to all, Pat

Well, placed 4th overall. Three points away from the podium. Oh well. Due to the small number of F-Class entrants both F-Open & F-TR were combined to shoot for the championship. Two of this states top F-Open shooters, Earl & Karen Liebetrau, took 1st & 2nd. Myself and Dave Z. (both F-TR shooters)had a great challenge against each other. On Sat. I had a good lead going into the fourth match. I fell apart in the fourth, lots of boiling mirage that I handled badly. On this day the wind was minimal in the morning, increasing to a steady 10mph or so from the SE. Wind was not an issue, mirage is a devil! Ended Sat six points behind Dave.

Sunday dawned with wind, 5mph or so, SE direction. Increased thruout the day to steady 12-14mph or so. Again, wind was manageable, mirage again became an issue in the fourth match for me. After three matches I'm ahead of Dave, but, going into forth match I knew I had to shoot at least 190 or better to capture 3rd place (3rd looser?). Dave had shot all four matches by this point. I did not manage mirage well, shot a 187-5x.

My scores:
Saturday: 196-7x, 198-6x, 194-7x, 183-2x (freakin' mirage) 771-22x
Sunday: 197-6x, 197-4x, 193-3x, 187-5x (still freakin' mirage)774-18x

Overall F-Class Match scores:
1st:Earl L. 1581-71x, 2nd:Karen L. 1567-59x, 3rd:Dave Z. 1547-47x, 4th:Pat C. 1545-40x

That's it for WI F-Class matches for 2009. Next year gonna work on 1k yards, still do 600 though.

GOA
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Well done, those are great scores.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Good Shooting TooDogs.

Good to see that Earl L is still out there shooting. Last time I shared a range with him, he was shooting a 300WinMag Prone! What's he shooting for F-Class these days? Hopefully something a little less punishing.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Earl was shooting 6.5-284 in his Brux F-open gun.

GOA
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Also, hey, thanks guys for the kind words.
This was my first year in f-class. Prior to this the longest I've shot was 200 yards with hunting rifles. Steep learning curve. I sure enjoy this discipline. Sign me F-Class Lifer, and forever a student of mirage, lol.

btw, Earl's home club is near Lodi, Wi. He says he's putting together a wind/mirage workshop with some other long range shooting heavies. Should be held before memorial day 2010 at the Winnequah club (site of the 2008 F-Class Nationals). That's the club where I'll get my feet wet at 1000 yards. Am soooo looking forward to it!

GOA
L
Lee24 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
It's been interesting reading all this to see how this event has changed, but I am not going to take the time to build a new Palma rifle, since I have no nearby place to shoot it anymore, few matches nearby, and would have to recruit some more shooters for a team. If I want to compete again, I'll go back to pistol. Much easier to train and compete.

At least I know where the matches are, found the schedules, and could attend one if I am in the area.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by Lee24
I am not going to take the time to build a new Palma rifle. At least I know where the matches are, found the schedules, and could attend one if I am in the area.

lee24, good to see you back. don't need a new rifle, use your old one, that's what i do (it's the same for 25 years). and you do have the schedule, good. gonna come shoot, or were you just blowin' hot air when you made the offer to 'shoot against' me. and what happened to you being a superior rifle shooter? just explain to me what happened and why you no longer want to shoot.....

L
Lee24 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
I no longer have my .308, just a .30-06 single shot with a 30-inch barrel and Redfield International sights.

Shooting just prone is boring, but not as bad as off the bench.
I like 3 and 4 position, like 50 and 100 meter .22 rimfire, or 300 yard matches, or running boar. Don't have time to shoot any of them these days.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Cause your too busy lying here on the fire.

Hey theres always your imaginary 375. smirk

IC B3

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I no longer have my .308, just a .30-06 single shot with a 30-inch barrel and Redfield International sights.

Shooting just prone is boring, but not as bad as off the bench.
I like 3 and 4 position, like 50 and 100 meter .22 rimfire, or 300 yard matches, or running boar. Don't have time to shoot any of them these days.

lee24,

you were the one that challenged me to a shoot! now you're wimping out because you don't have time? what up wit dat, G????? i was even putting some ammo together! if your superior shooting skills would prefer smallbore, i'm up for that too! i could even come your direction, so long as you bring out the "sc fn .375h&h"

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
"Shooting just prone is boring, but not as bad as off the bench.
I like 3 and 4 position, like 50 and 100 meter .22 rimfire, or 300 yard matches, or running boar. Don't have time to shoot any of them these days." Lee said

Brother not into pissing contests over who has biggest what ever but anyone who ever said shooting Palma Prone is "Boring" has not done it much. Sure its easy to judge a 2mph wind change at 1000 yards if your God or dreaming/asleep but for the rest of us awake mortals its a heck of a challenge.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Mike, thinking he's never shot at Camp Butner...

That place shows no mercy cry

C
C
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
Mike, thinking he's never shot at Camp Butner...

That place shows no mercy cry

Sounds like you were just shooting in the F-class Nationals? It's my home range and it can be gently brutal. 9 you to death all day long!

L
Lee24 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
wmeek, I didn't challenge you or anyone else to shoot.
I've shot against the best in six different disciplines.
I just asked where you shot and what kind of scores are typical. Sorry to bust your bubble.

I don't mean to offend any of the Palma junkies. It's not my passion. Just a matter of taste. I also don't like McMillan stocks or Barnes bullets, and that makes other people hopping mad. Tough nookies. It's just a matter of taste. They would be bored shooting 60 shots slow fire air pistol or free pistol, which I can do every day of the week. I have competed in various international rapid fire pistol events, but don't care for IPSC with all the tricked out race guns.

Don't bother to get off the Palma topic and turn this into a chest beating session where you ask some of the class clowns to help you with insults, because I won't be responding to any of that stupidity.

Now, back to Palma discussion.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I just asked where you shot and what kind of scores are typical. Sorry to bust your bubble.

I don't mean to offend any of the Palma junkies. It's not my passion. Just a matter of taste. I also don't like McMillan stocks or Barnes bullets, and that makes other people hopping mad. Tough nookies. It's just a matter of taste. They would be bored shooting 60 shots slow fire air pistol or free pistol, which I can do every day of the week. I have competed in various international rapid fire pistol events, but don't care for IPSC with all the tricked out race guns.

Don't bother to get off the Palma topic and turn this into a chest beating session where you ask some of the class clowns to help you with insults, because I won't be responding to any of that stupidity.

Now, back to Palma discussion.

Interesting to see that not all palma rifles wear MC stocks, NO one shoots barnes bullets in palma. In fact my closest "palma" rifle at this point is an AR15 Service rifle that placed 3rd in our state palma matches against the bolt gunners....
I like shooting all the events you've mentioned.
FWIW its easy to shoot against the best in almost any competition, now HOW you do is totally different story wise...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W

lee24,

au contraire mon ami. couple months ago in another thread:

Are you doing any Palma match shooting right now?
Maybe I could come shoot against you. Start a thread and post the schedule.

and just minutes ago:

If he qualifies for one of the same events I decide to shoot in, then he will get to shoot against me. Same for you, hotshot.

and my replies:

Originally Posted by wmeek
If he qualifies for one of the same events I decide to shoot in, then he will get to shoot against me. Same for you, hotshot.

lee24,

how quickly we forget? you challenged me at long range high power (ie palma), you announced you were a superior rifle shooter (your exact words), i'm just trying to accomodate your challenge...... why are you now backpedaling and trying to change what you originally said??

Originally Posted by wmeek

lee24,

you also implied that you were a member of the usamu international rifle team when you told me that fort benning supplied you with an isu rifle and ammunition. so if you would rather a different rifle event i would understand, and gladly accomodate that challenge - maybe we could sell tickets!!

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Is Dos Equis a Palma sponsor?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Nice range! The electric targets took some getting used to, seems like I had to wait forever for the target to cycle. I was stuck on the big end for day #3. The light SW wind killed us. We we're scoring in the 130's, those on the small end were shooting mid 140's. Met some great folks down there!!!!

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Is Dos Equis a Palma sponsor?

I just caught onto that one...I think...

Hey Lee24, I shoot a little bit of 10M Air Pistol. I haven't been able to find many matches outside of sectionals. Are there many matches in your area?

Last edited by ChrisF; 10/09/09.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

168 members (7887mm08, 257 mag, 35, 240NMC, 10Glocks, 14 invisible), 1,545 guests, and 859 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,603
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.