Hop To
Page 19 of 21 1 2 17 18 19 20 21
V
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by derby_dude

Yup, McCain proposed a tax credit for health insurance. That involves the IRS.

A credit is FAR different than having the plan administered by the IRS. Heck, you can get a tax credit for a hybrid vehicle, or a kid, or a set of solar panels and the IRS doesn't run the system for those products.

Big, BIG difference.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by VAnimrod

A credit is FAR different than having the plan administered by the IRS. Heck, you can get a tax credit for a hybrid vehicle, or a kid, or a set of solar panels and the IRS doesn't run the system for those products.

Big, BIG difference.

Yes, they do through audits and regulations. With the IRS you are guilty until proven innocent.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

V
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
V

Big, BIG difference.

Yes, they do through audits and regulations. With the IRS you are guilty until proven innocent.

With the Hussein plan, there is no attempt to prove innocence. You will do as they command; you will have no recourse or appeal.

Again, huge difference.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Big, BIG difference.

With the Hussein plan, there is no attempt to prove innocence. You will do as they command; you will have no recourse or appeal.

Again, huge difference.

Well there is doubt that Obamacare is worst than McCaincare but both are wrong to a con-nationalist.

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
BTW: To truly understand the Federalists Paper, you need to get and read the Anti-Federalists Papers and Constitutional debates of 1787. The Anti-Federalists Paper is the rest of the story.
Here's my tattered copy.
[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Exactly. See Hussein, and his supporters like JeffObama, for PRIME examples.

... and McCain was different in this regard how exactly? [/quote]

Funny, I don't recall a McCain proposal to put the IRS in charge of your health care, determining what is and is not appropriate, what you can and can't have, and how much you ought to pay for it.

Can you?

BTW - there are PLENTY of threads re: your messiah, B. Hussein Obama, the one you championed last year. Please, visit them and enlighten us all as to how wrong we are to think he's a turd and his ideas rubbish.[/quote]

Yup, McCain proposed a tax credit for health insurance. That involves the IRS. [/quote]

And supported semi-auto bans, banning gun shows, bail outs......

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
BTW: To truly understand the Federalists Paper, you need to get and read the Anti-Federalists Papers and Constitutional debates of 1787. The Anti-Federalists Paper is the rest of the story.
Here's my tattered copy.
[Linked Image]

Looks a lot like my copy just not so worn. BTW: I believed you if you said you had one.

BTW: You made go back and look at Ellis's new book that I've been talking about, Ellis does have quotes of Madison and notes. I wasn't reading it like a text book with hi-lighter so I missed the quotation marks.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JasonB

The quote in the quote box ain't me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I read about half way through your first post and thought "I don't want to live there". Here is much better as imperfect as it is. Sorry that was as far as I got.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Originally Posted by HOOKER
Control can be taken by less than forceful means.
Those who hold the gold will always have the ability to control others.Those who lack scruples will take advantage of this ability. The need for basic necessities will always provide them with submissive victims willing or not.

Pat

... and McCain was different in this regard how exactly?

Funny, I don't recall a McCain proposal to put the IRS in charge of your health care, determining what is and is not appropriate, what you can and can't have, and how much you ought to pay for it.

Can you?

BTW - there are PLENTY of threads re: your messiah, B. Hussein Obama, the one you championed last year. Please, visit them and enlighten us all as to how wrong we are to think he's a turd and his ideas rubbish.

I was speaking more in general terms.

Look. Obama wants to bring ObamaCare. That's... scary.

Bush, I mean Cheney, brought us the Patriot Act and the DHS. THAT'S even scarier! I'm supposed to ignore that?

LOOK WHAT 8 YEARS OF REPUBLICANS IN THE WHITE HOUSE GAVE US! THEY SUCKED! IT WAS TIME TO FLUSH THE LYING SOB's!

(deep breath)

My point isn't that Obama isn't a turd; he probably is.

My point is that for all intents and purposes, things would play out similarly with either guy in charge. They were BOTH turds. Details might be different, but as viewed from space, as they say... same damn thing.

EXCEPT, Mr. VAnimrod, in ways that your Nimrodia thread has shown that we agree! With Republicans in charge, with Sarah frikkin' Palin a step away from being POTUS, we get more attempts to mix religion and government. We get more "adventurous" militarism. We get MORE hammering on the social conservative issues that you and I agree on!

I chose the guy more likely to NOT hammer those issues anymore. So he's trying to fix our FUBAR health system. Big whoop. I'll take that over a Repub ticket that was going to pretend teenagers don't screw, and put God back in the schools, etc.

And FINALLY. I'm gonna barf if you make us pretend that the Republicans are somehow less big spenders than the Dems. That's BS. Starting with Reagan, we got massive deficits due largly to military spending. I'm sick of that. And again, you and I agree- the military should be smaller, and more defensive in nature. That will NEVER happen with any of today's Republicans. Never!

I'll take a good-hearted attempt to fix the health care system over spending the same damn money on missile defense... or another bullshit invasion...

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
BTW: You made go back and look at Ellis's new book that I've been talking about, Ellis does have quotes of Madison and notes. I wasn't reading it like a text book with hi-lighter so I missed the quotation marks.
Ok, then, let's have those quotes.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DixieFreedomz
This idea that voting is flawed from the get go and enslaves those that lose...

I ain't buying into that.

Take another look at Spooner's The Constitution of No Authority, specifically chapters II and IX. He's making a larger point about the Constitution, but in the process he cogently makes the case that the State is naked force, and the vote is merely the handle with which men wield that force against one another.

I would have to argue that in a society that is striving to sustain a representative republic then that society has to have at some basic level a common "creed" for lack of a better word, some common glue that everybody is working towards. In my mind it used to be the Declaration of Independence, the core ideals articulated there.

A free society, on the other hand, imposes no constraints on the goals, aspirations, or dreams of its inhabitants, other than that they refrain from violating the rights of others.

So in any case; if there is some common ground, tribal blood, religion, belief system, whatever, then elections are just selecting delegated representatives of the people to represent the people as magistrates in government that serves the people. I see nothing sinister in that.

Of course not, not if you win. If you lose (or perhaps more precisely, if you don't win), then someone takes the reins of coercive power against you and uses you and your resources for the benefit of those who did win.

But no way do I have nor do I believe that the voting process is flawed from the get go in its basic theory.

It's more than flawed. Two wolves and a sheep voting on whom to have for dinner? If we weren't all so accustomed to it, and so thoroughly indoctrinated by the State's intellectuals into considering it a holy gift from God, we'd be scandalized by the very idea.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This idea that voting is flawed from the get go and enslaves those that lose...

I ain't buying into that.

Agreed.

In fact, if the process of voting is fundamentally flawed, then no "private court" jury would ever be able to vote on the decision, no "private appeals court" panel of judges would ever be able to vote on the appellate decision...

I can't see any reason for private courts to have juries; can you? Juries are just a clumsy hack attempting to paper over the gargantuan hole in the foundation of State courts: the jaw-dropping conflict of interest between the fact that the State claims to be the injured party in all criminal matters, and the fact that the State claims exclusive monopoly power to try every criminal case.

In a private court, there would be no such conflict of interest, therefore no need for a clumsy hack to distract attention from it; juries would simply be needless expense.

I also don't see much of a need for multiple judges in an appeals court; I'm not sure why an appeals court would be different from any other court.

But I don't have a lot of experience in the area; perhaps I'm missing something.

...no private corporation board of directors would ever be able to vote on corporate directives...

I should have been clearer. The voting I believe is immoral happens when people vote on who will next be victimized by the State, how, and/or through what eagerly prospective official.

Your board of directors, on the other hand, is presumably voting regarding the disposition of their own property, rather than the involuntary disposition of other people at the point of the State's guns. Hence, they have a perfect right to make whatever decision they like (as long as it doesn't violate the rights of others, of course) in whatever way they choose.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Barak asks;

What are lawful taxes?

I think that is a good question.

Some evangelical writers in recent years have damned the American Revolution as a lawless tax protest. I don't agree at all.

But I would like to hear the opinions of others- what are lawful taxes?

The ones that the citizenry agrees to.

There is no "citizenry," there are only individuals--at least when it comes to moral decisions like who should be coerced and to do what. Unless your vote is completely unanimous, no tax is ever agreed to by "the citizenry."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What you say here is true of certain undertakings a government might endeavor to perform, such as wealth redistribution (e.g., welfare, foreign aid, etc.) and empire building, for example, but if you're talking about legitimate functions of government (maintaining a national defense, funding the operations of the courts, the legislature, etc.), taxing (on general principles) to support these things is not in the least immoral, so long as the collection process is objectively fair and equitable.

You only say that because you agree with yourself about what the legitimate functions of government are.

From your point of view, taxing the productive to pay for the health care of the unproductive is extortion and enslavement.

From my point of view, taxing anybody to pay the salaries of all those God-forsaken slimy weasels in Washington is extortion and enslavement.

From Jeff_O's point of view, taxing people to pay for "faith-based initiatives" is extortion and enslavement.

Whatever you decree to be the "legitimate functions of government," somebody somewhere is going to disagree with you and have an argument about why he's right and you're wrong.

So...either the morality of taxation is relative and subjective (which doesn't sound much like morality to me), or it's absolutely right or absolutely wrong.

The problem with discussing this with you is that you don't recognize as legitimate any form or function of government.

Indeed. But you'd have the other end of the same problem arguing with Steve_NO or isaac.

You also, perhaps perceiving your vulnerability on this point, distort the very definition of the word legitimate in this context, equating it to the word legitimized.

Actually, I prefer "legitimized" to "legitimate."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All taxes are unlawful because they are collected by force.

Now if there was some way to subscribe for those government services I want or think I need, than collecting a tax from me to pay for the services I volunteeringly subscribe to, than that is okay but I don't know of any way to do that.

If you could do that, then the government wouldn't a government at all, but a private service company.

Which would be cool.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Gene L
The idea of turning over a burglar to a 75-year-old widow for justice ignores the rules of law and common sense.

A 75-year-old widow would probably engage a strapping young buck to do the work for her, if she decided there was work to be done. It's unclear whether she'd have to pay the guy for his services or whether he'd pay her for the privilege. If the threat of his ministrations produced a satisfactory bribe from the culprit, one assumes he and the widow would share it somehow.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Interesting, if true, since it entirely contradicts what Madison wrote in Federalist No. 45.

He may be thinking of Hamilton. I'm pretty sure I read a quote almost exactly like that somewhere from Alexander Hamilton, and I sure wouldn't put it past him.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Barak
You only say that because you agree with yourself about what the legitimate functions of government are.

From your point of view, taxing the productive to pay for the health care of the unproductive is extortion and enslavement.

From my point of view, taxing anybody to pay the salaries of all those God-forsaken slimy weasels in Washington is extortion and enslavement.

From Jeff_O's point of view, taxing people to pay for "faith-based initiatives" is extortion and enslavement.

Whatever you decree to be the "legitimate functions of government," somebody somewhere is going to disagree with you and have an argument about why he's right and you're wrong.
The downfall of your argument is that the US Constitution clearly defines the legitimate functions of the US Government, along with a short list of enumerated powers with which to pursue them.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Barak
Interesting, if true, since it entirely contradicts what Madison wrote in Federalist No. 45.

He may be thinking of Hamilton. I'm pretty sure I read a quote almost exactly like that somewhere from Alexander Hamilton, and I sure wouldn't put it past him.
Me either.

Page 19 of 21 1 2 17 18 19 20 21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (41rem, 007FJ, 6mmCreedmoor, 35, 444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 12 invisible), 1,478 guests, and 875 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,311
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.