Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
casually looking at the CZ550 american in 9.3 x 62 yesterday, something I do not need at all found me looking at a close to $800 price tag! A Ruger 338 Compact magnum is almost $200 less, it must be the exchange rate as I just cannot see that the CZ is a better rifle than the Ruger.

HR IC

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
forged vs cast receiver

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
You also should compare guns chambered for the same or a similar cartridge.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I think CZ's are some of the finest built firearms on the planet... as for $200 more than a Ruger, that's all personal preference but I'm sure you could find the CZ at a better price if you shopped around.

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
the alaskan in 375 Ruger is about the same price but sorry I cannot acccept that argument, a 223 Kimber Montana costs more than a CZ9.3 x 62, seems like they were just $600 a couple of years ago!

Last edited by jimmyp; 09/11/09.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
CZ's have gone up 20-30% in the past year or so due to the exchange rate.

Very nice guns, but they are getting spendy.

Life is just one damned thing after another
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
I am thinking exchange rate as well...too bad a nice rifle for $600.

M
mlg Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Glocked_N_Loaded
I think CZ's are some of the finest built firearms on the planet...

Dont know how you could say that. They got poor triggers, rough actions and tolerences are poor. Open sights are ugly and in the lighter calibers (375H&H) they are darned heavy.

I would take a Ruger any day......

I saw a CZ 550 450 Rigby here in Australia a few days ago. Its sells here for $3600 Australian - $3100 USD approximately - and I would not pay &1500 dollars for it. Action was like there was sand in it.

About the only advantage they have is that big deep magazine.

Last edited by mlg; 09/11/09.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
And to think I gave $490 for a new CZ550 just a few years ago.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by mlg
Originally Posted by Glocked_N_Loaded
I think CZ's are some of the finest built firearms on the planet...

Dont know how you could say that.

Thus why I stated "I think", personal opinion based on several experiences, granted more so along the pistol line than rifle. YMMV

Last edited by Glocked_N_Loaded; 09/11/09.
IC B3

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by jimmyp
casually looking at the CZ550 american in 9.3 x 62 yesterday, something I do not need at all found me looking at a close to $800 price tag! A Ruger 338 Compact magnum is almost $200 less, it must be the exchange rate as I just cannot see that the CZ is a better rifle than the Ruger.

Jimmy,

Go for the 338 Ruger Mag. My son was talking to me yesterday about buying one, and I advised him to go for it!!! grin (Another rifle I'll be loading for...LMAO)

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

D
DMW Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I chose my CZ 550 American in .30-06 over a comparable Ruger 77 (pre Hawkeye).

I agree that CZ rifles are getting pricey, but they are one heck of a rifle. However, at the $800 price point i would look at other options along with CZ, but at $500-$600, i think its one of the best available.

To me the Ruger 77 and CZ 550 are comparables in the market, but in my opinion, CZ is a better, more refined copy of the mauser 98, and is of better quality.

Also true is that their actions are not super slick when new, but they wear in nice and are not sloppy like Rugers...i would also say that as far as tolerances go, CZ's are much tighter than Ruger's.

And the SS trigger on CZ's is a great trigger, and gives you 2 in 1. If you want a standard trigger you can adjust out the SS option or simplty not use it. Mine was sent back to the factory and tuned...what i got back is one of the cleanest triggers i have felt, and all that was done was adjustments, no stoning or polishing. It was a little gritty when i got it, but still better than most other factory triggers out there.

Every rifle has faults, i just think CZ is less faulty. My opinion only...

DW

Last edited by DMW; 09/11/09.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
CZ's quality varies, its best to handle the actual rifle in mind. Some feel like a masterpeice, some well....

Still havent ran across one that wont shoot well and feed. As far as the price, the dollar is down. Like others have said, for the $, I like a M70 or a used Sako.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
1. The Chinese are buying them all up.
2. The government won't allow drilling for them in our coastal waters.
3. The recent hurricanes have shut down production.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There is absolutely no comparison in a Ruger vs CZ. Every CZ I have shot, shoots lights out. There aren't as smooth out of the box but they are solid dependable rifles. A little heavier than I like. But I will put up with that any day compared to the frustrations I have had with Ruger rifles. If want to to put some extra time and money into one, they will compete with any rifle out there. They are "best buy" in my book, although the prices have gone up.

I have had problems with about every Ruger Rifle I ever owned. It didn't take me long to figure out to quit buying them, and let the Ruger fans have at them. Just last month, got through working out the bugs on a Ruger rifle my nephew has. I gave it to him for graduation. I tried to talk him into another rifle, CZ or Remington, but he would have nothing of it. He wanted a Ruger like his Dad. Yes, I had to work on that one too, to get it to shoot.

Last edited by CRS; 09/11/09.

Arcus Venator
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by 5sdad
1. The Chinese are buying them all up.
2. The government won't allow drilling for them in our coastal waters.
3. The recent hurricanes have shut down production.

You forgot spending eight years under a bush didn't help, either.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
they are OK in accuracy, my personal copy was good for a FS gun, but rough as a cobb and now for $800! Ruger Alaskan looks more promising, gosh I don't need one of either!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd just kinda found out about CZ's around a year ago. I remember looking at their .22's when they were around 200.00 and was young/dumb enough to think that when other bolt .22's were twice that, that the CZ must be junk.

I picked up a 527 Hornet and a 452 in .22lr last year when they were just starting to jump in price and in that time span they jumped up again.

Even as good as they are, they're starting to price themselves out of some markets.

Life is just one damned thing after another
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by CRS
There is absolutely no comparison in a Ruger vs CZ. Every CZ I have shot, shoots lights out. There aren't as smooth out of the box but they are solid dependable rifles. A little heavier than I like. But I will put up with that any day compared to the frustrations I have had with Ruger rifles. If want to to put some extra time and money into one, they will compete with any rifle out there. They are "best buy" in my book, although the prices have gone up.

I have had problems with about every Ruger Rifle I ever owned. It didn't take me long to figure out to quit buying them, and let the Ruger fans have at them. Just last month, got through working out the bugs on a Ruger rifle my nephew has. I gave it to him for graduation. I tried to talk him into another rifle, CZ or Remington, but he would have nothing of it. He wanted a Ruger like his Dad. Yes, I had to work on that one too, to get it to shoot.
................There are always a few bad apples in every barrel, regardless of rifle maker. Your bad luck Rugers were by chance older models when Ruger was out-sourcing their barrel manufacturing? Or were they the newer versions? From the box, what were your groupings like with factory ammo? With reloads?

Interestingly, both my Rugers (Frontier and Alaskan) with certain powder combos, which have shown to be the best reloading combos for the rifles, consistently shoot moa and less. Between the two, the only modification from NIB, was to replace the Frontier`s trigger assembly, as the factory trigger had a 5# + pull along with some creap, which now has a 3# pull with no creap.

From the box, one friend of mine who bought a new 300 RCM Hawkeye compact earlier this year, has gotten good accuracy results from factory ammo and very good accuracy results from his reloads, while two others, one with a newer 338 Federal Hawkeye and the other with a newer 358 Win Hawkeye are also very satisfied.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I got lucky. I got on the CZ bandwagon very early on. My 550 was not expensive seven years ago. 'Course it was free for me- ahh having great friends is certainly a blessing. Best birthday surprise ever. Another thing I jumped on early was the Meopta scopes. I topped the CZ with a 6x42 Meopta to make a nice Czech pairing. Both are now quite a bit more money. Thinking I did good.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

460 members (1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1234, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 222Sako, 45 invisible), 2,129 guests, and 1,146 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,251
Posts18,504,697
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.