Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I've been having fun with the new-to-me 9.3X74R which I acquired early in the summer. As some might recall, another Campfire member used one with good results which he reported here.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That rifle now has a new home:

[Linked Image]

and it's a bit farther north...

[Linked Image]

...where the "coyotes" are a bit bigger. (So are the "antelope", but, try as we might, we were unsuccessful in finding one of them that provided more than track soup.)

I didn't know if these boys, especially the 6-year version, had the "stuff" to tramp through the necessary hundreds of yards of fluffy tundra (think hayloft full of loose hay if you're old enough) to get to the scene - and back. But they did. And they waited, not knowing for sure what was happening, while Dad disappeared over tundra and willow, with only the bark and report of the 286 grain bullets - three times- to give them any clue. But they sat as they were told...about 150 yards distant, until it was over. It was a good day for great memories!..........even without a moose.

They aren't simply becoming hunters; they're becoming MY hunters!

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice!

I can't spell... Deal with it...
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Very nice and good seeing the lads out, course I would have used a 223AI....grin

Can't wait to get back to Alaska, because when I get back this time the only way I'm leaving is in an urn.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Really cool lookin' Griz...!
And rifle of course!
Well done! And with a definite classic touch...
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great pics! Between you and docdb, you two are really, really making me think I would like to give those bears a try. Just wish my pocketbook (and wife) would allow...

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'd take the great hunt over a great bear any day - if I have to choose. In this case it was definitely fine in the hunt department. I didn't know if my six-year-old had the mettle for a long stalk over tundra and through willows - it ended up being 3/4 mile; 0.76 mile straight line by GPS. (There's plenty of well-paying hunters that can't do that much hiking across deep, tussocky tundra. But there's something to be said about the reward of bologna sandwiches at the end of the trail!) It all seems easier after the fact. Do it while you can, not when you can afford it - if you will.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Great story and photos, I'm sure Timberline will get a big smile when he reads this one. They're lucky boys. Nothing better than pics of youngsters on a hunt!!

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
VERY cool!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congratulations on a nice bear, and two great hunting partners!

Ted

Last edited by Yukoner; 09/09/09.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
That is very cool all the way around!

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Klikitarik;
Thanks so much yet again for putting up photos of your part of the world. I always enjoy them and especially so when they include your fine family sir!

Congratulations on the nice "coyote" and yet another tip of the hat from me for taking your family out to learn what we love.

Very well done indeed!

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Quick question, just curious...how well does that Ruger shoot?

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'm guessing well enough.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Congratulations to all.

Reading between the lines sounds like there may be an interesting untold story.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
You want to read between the lines? Okay, well, how it shoots had nothing to do with needing three shots nor my own second guessing of what transpired; which, as with many things involving bears, might easily have gone worse.

I don't have time at the moment for any more detail than that, but I will say that I never did feel hampered by "only" carrying a single shot, though that may have had something to do with the fact that I had a Redhawk stuffed with 1880 grains of lead in my waistband.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
I've been having fun with the new-to-me 9.3X74R which I acquired early in the summer. As some might recall, another Campfire member used one with good results which he reported here.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That rifle now has a new home:

[Linked Image]

and it's a bit farther north...

[Linked Image]

...where the "coyotes" are a bit bigger. (So are the "antelope", but, try as we might, we were unsuccessful in finding one of them that provided more than track soup.)

I didn't know if these boys, especially the 6-year version, had the "stuff" to tramp through the necessary hundreds of yards of fluffy tundra (think hayloft full of loose hay if you're old enough) to get to the scene - and back. But they did. And they waited, not knowing for sure what was happening, while Dad disappeared over tundra and willow, with only the bark and report of the 286 grain bullets - three times- to give them any clue. But they sat as they were told...about 150 yards distant, until it was over. It was a good day for great memories!..........even without a moose.

They aren't simply becoming hunters; they're becoming MY hunters!

Those lads have a solid look to them. Tough spirit comes in small pacages too, and those boys have the look of serious hunters. Good job Dad.

Randy

Last edited by medicman; 09/11/09.

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
First off I never questioned how it shoots. Second I never considered your second guessing anything-and didn't imply that in any way-since I was not there. Third from reading your prior posts I also figured you had the experience not to hamper yourself intentionally or unintentionally.

The only intent of my comment was to think that going after a grizzly with a single shot on your own, along with three shots being taken, in what appears to be relatively thick cover, has the possibility of being an interesting tale that others may be interested in.

Guess I'm not the only one guilty of reading between the lines.

Last edited by battue; 09/11/09.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Didn't mean to infer anything negative at all from your post; guess I should have applied an icon or two; and I was answering some other posts in a single reply. No offense intended.

I can promise you that there is some material which I didn't post which might be fuel for second guessing. I do it enough myself without additional help. grin

But as someone else asked, it does shoot nicely, and mean that in a very good, overall way - even in how much it hurts or actually doesn't in a light compact package.

I did have a good idea what you meant. My response does indeed look defensive. (A rather dry sense of humor comes across very poorly when one is looking at things through a computer screen. That was my fault.) My apologies, I was funnin' along with what you were saying, not trying to refute or defend anything.

Last edited by Klikitarik; 09/11/09. Reason: words added

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Klikitarik

I almost pulled my post a couple times, because truth be told after my initial reaction I realized I was guessing. You've given me no reason to think adversely of you.
However, once it was up, I said let it ride. Ego can be a stern master. My apologies returned.

Harry Neil

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
My question was serious, I was wondering if it produced a reasonable group at 100 yards, I have no idea what one of these rifles will do and I am contemplating wasting more money on another rifle I do not need. So my question stands, how does it shoot, 2 inch group or better??

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

252 members (1lessdog, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 117LBS, 219 Wasp, 33 invisible), 2,441 guests, and 1,087 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,446
Posts18,528,771
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.