Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
sharpshooter, I've got a crappy old blank around here somewhere that I guess I could trade ya. Oh wait, that's a two piece. Well in that case, just send the whole gun and I'll send ya a blank so you can start over the right way...

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
mtnman, thank you very much, you are a life saver. Will you split the shipping with me? I wouldn't expect you to pay it all.

Actually, I can't wait to take delivery of this cute little girl. Just a 7 mauser, 7lbs. without the scope. My wife and I are going to take it mule deer hunting in west Texas to break it in.

Here is one of the neatest things on the rifle, I just love this long tang. I want to hunt with it using iron sights only. Should be a trim, quick rifle.

ss

[Linked Image]

No words of mine can hope to convey to you the ringing joy and hope embodied in that spontaneous yell: �The Americans are coming; at last they are coming!�

I hadn�t the heart to disillusion them.

John "Pondoro" Taylor
Africa 1955
L
LRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
There are some really nice stuff here and it is great to see that plastic hasn't completely killed off the people who appreciate mother natures handy work. A ray of hope!

However, beware, I also see a number of the stocks have crossbolts in them and you may be subject to ill comments from the crossbolt policeman.

Save the Earth...its the only planet with chocolate!
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Sharpshooter, all jokin' aside that's a beautiful rig and I'd love to have something even remotely close to that one. I'm working over an old Mauser with the help of a few folks, but I suspect it will never compare to most of the ones I see on here. Love the stainless synthetics for durability, but can't say I don't like the wood blued for "Style". That rig is just flat out spectacular.

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sharpshooter, that is a beautiful rifle! Absolutely stunning.

Just to set the record straight, I only tried to explain the difference between the two cuts. I obviously didn't do a very good job. I don't think I said one was better than the other or claim the mini Mauser stock was quarter sawn. James Anderson (JRGunmaker) is in the middle of building that stock and thinks it's a slight combination of both. The red stocked rifle is a definate slab sawn blank and that's the blank I posted a top picture of.

I only tried to explain to the original poster there would be a slight difference in what he saw from the outside to the inside of the blank once it was turned. This is much more common with slab sawn wood.

Now if we are talking about which I would prefer, I like the idea of using quarter sawn but have enough experience to know they both work just fine.

Now, if you still feel bad about your wood choice I'm sure I've got something in the safe I could trade you for that rifle :^) HA!

Terry

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
TC1, I apologize if you thought I was making a snotty comment to you about wood selection. Another poster on this thread has previously let me know that I got ripped off on this rifle because of the cross-grained wood. I admit that I didn't notice that it was cross-grained, so I guess I'll just take a loss on this rifle and have it re-stocked in some California walnut that has been approved by an expert. I suppose I am stupid to rely on the judgement of the man who stocked the thing.

Actually your wood description was helpful to me, and the stock on your rifle from Dressels is absolutely gorgeous. Sorry I was not more clear.

Mtnman, I appreciate the positive comments on this rifle. I can hardly wait for it to get here. And don't feel bad about building up a Mauser, I have a weakness for good Mausers; especially those with nice wood and well thought out design.

Please keep posting pictures and information, I'm learning from all of ya'll's projects.

Take care,
ss

No words of mine can hope to convey to you the ringing joy and hope embodied in that spontaneous yell: �The Americans are coming; at last they are coming!�

John "Pondoro" Taylor
Africa 1955
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
By the way, here is a full side-on picture of this single shot. Sorry the picture is so small, it does not do it justice.

ss

[Linked Image]

John "Pondoro" Taylor
Africa 1955
L
LRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
416 Rigby
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

C
CWG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
hubba hubba
yanno, the best thing about building such a firearm (from the standpoint of the builder) is the likely hood that piece of him, or her will be around 100 years from now admired by someone.

I had a mauser built probably by some guild type apprentice in europe around 1930ish. gorgeous. one of those hand filed big military round barrels to an octagon, solid ramps for the sights. engraved, simple thin style stalking design stock.
no name, no way to tell who did it. once we figured out the 8mm bore was not what we were told, it shot great, spot on at 50 meters, 100 meters and 150 meters to the hand filed fixed, 3 leaf site.
post away, post away.

Cage-Divorce Deathmatch Survivor and Lib antagonist. Stock maker by sheer luck.
L
LRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Yes I agree!

But my name to my heritage is actually in my 4 clocks which I have built for my 4 G-kids. Each is very different and totally designed and built by me. They took me 6 years to build them all.

The guns are also but not as much as my clocks.

IC B3

L
LRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Oh yes one other point. Concerning the 416. I want to someday go to Africa and shoot a stringer of Cape Buffalo. To do this you need a big gun and lots of money. Well I have accomplished the first half. smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
LRF, you hand built clocks? Good God. If you get excited and energetic, repost those pictures of the single shots you built. I really enjoyed them.

CWG, I am not quite clear on your status as a stockmaker. I have noticed that you have changed your tag line. If you are doing stock work and are looking for more work, will you please email me some details at
amerine mech @ taylortel. net (remove spaces)?

Thanks,
josh

John "Pondoro" Taylor
Africa 1955
L
LRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by LRF; 09/30/09.

L
LRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I know these are not guns but we are talking about my G-Kids here which are my greatest love!
Clock 1 Kayla the oldest
[Linked Image]
#2 Malachi's
[Linked Image]
#3 James
[Linked Image]
#4 Allison the youngest
[Linked Image]

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
LRF,

I'm of the opinion that the word "great" has become something it was never meant to be and contrary to its definition. People have become lazy with their use of the word, making it all too common, a fractional dilution of what it once was.

With that in mind, let me say that those clocks you�ve created are great, in the strictest sense of the word. Even greater is the gift that they represent. Truly valuable.

I like rifles as much as anyone in this community, but these are something entirely different.

Best regards,
Ian

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
LRF, those clocks are so very cool. Please continue to post your work for us.

ss

John "Pondoro" Taylor
Africa 1955
domit Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
topic is to young to just go away, keep sending pics. how about rimfire pics or shotgun? good wood still outhere!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
LRF, Kayla's clock with that open construction has really caught my eye. If it is convenient I know I would really like to see some pictures of the mechanism.

I'd also like to see some disassembled pictures of those single shots.

By the way, did you ever make a decision about adopting me?

I can burn the barrel off a single shot faster than anyone you ever knew. Seems like a good match.

j

John "Pondoro" Taylor
Africa 1955
C
CWG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
These threads wow me.
Talent, talent, talent.

Cage-Divorce Deathmatch Survivor and Lib antagonist. Stock maker by sheer luck.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (Bigd7378, 35, big_g270, 7mm_Loco, blackhawk44, 7 invisible), 1,505 guests, and 816 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,557
Posts18,510,446
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.