Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
OK guys I am going to order a M52 in 280AI I would like to here from anyone who has a cooper rifle.

How do they handle
Is accuracy really 1/2 moa
Functionality
How are the Magazines

any imput would be helpfull thanks.

HR IC

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Is accuracy really 1/2 moa
I have a .223 in an entry level, single shot, varmint rifle. I seldom get 1/2" groups. They're usually much smaller.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have a Jackson Hunter in 25-06. First rifle I have ever owned that didn't have anything wrong with it from the factory. Ordered a spare mag with it, both mags function fine. I shoot 100 grain TSX Federals out of mine, it shoots about an inch. Might be me, or the ammo. That's good enough for me. I'm certain that a man who can routinely hold groups into 1/2 inch could do so with this rifle. I am going to purchase an elk rifle soon, and if Cooper made a magnum action, I'd probably look no further.

L
L
Thanks for your post. I've been wait for one just like it.

I'm the proud father of a 2 month old M52 .270. See baby pictures below. Aint she purty.

In terms or accuracy, I'm very impressed. In "working up" a load I put 14 of 15 shots into the same 1" square (2 grain powder spread) and the last group is damn near .5 of inch or maybe better. See pictures below. I'm sure that with someone who knew how to shoot, it would definitley shoot .5 inch on a regular basis. I was able to get it to group between .8 and 1 inch with the federal 130gr ammo in the blue box.

I've put together a business case for a synthetic M52 with a stainless barrel in .280 remington. So far domestic managment is pretty stand offish about approval, but in time I'm sure she will come around.

I'm sure you will love yours when you get it.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

L
L
Sorry I forgot to mention.

My cooper rocks. To my liking, it handles great, the balance is perfect and the action is slick- maybe a bit stiff to cycle when cocking the spring but that's really splitting hairs. The magazine works like I would expect.

You won't be sorry. Buy it.

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Yeah I had to sell my boat to get the old battle axe to approve. But I guess that she did just let me buy a CZ .223, kimber montana .257bob, a MK 4 4.5x14x50 M1 mil/dot, and a VX3 2.5x8 in the last month so she is pretty good about it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't own one but I have shot several of my friends rifles.

There nice, no doubt about it. All had above average wood. With factory ammo all 3 shot an inch or better, but no better than my factory rifles.

They are heavy, but well made and the blueing, inletting and checkering were superb.

I didn't like the way the trigger was positioned in relation to the grip, I had to run my finger higher on the trigger than I like to. Just a personal thing really.

For the money, I don't think you can get a nicer semi custom rifle.

JM.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I own three and I am very pleased with them. I have a 280AI Excalibur that I have had for a year and I am just starting to work up loads for it. It shoots the Nosler factory ammo into an inch no problem. My others are tack drivers. I am sure the 280AI will do much better with decent handloads. They shoot and handle very nice. They are not a lightweight gun as mentioned. I haven't had much time working with the magazine so I can't comment on it. I am a big Cooper fan after my experiences with them.

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I own three - 223, 25-06, and 308.

All three shoot sub-MOA, all handle very well, the magazines work well (order an extra with your rifle as they can be difficult to come by at times), and the wood on all of them is quite nice. My 25-06 is a Model 52. Order it and don't look back.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"Order it and don't look back."

agreed!!
no such thing as a bad cooper

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
These guys probably have what you want in stock
hendershots.net

the two coopers i own do exactly what they say they will do
shoot better than i can

gene

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I ordered a Phoenix M-22 in 6.5 x 284. If I had to do it over, I would have ordered a varminter wood stock version. My trouble with the Phoenix stock is that the comb is too low for a consistent sight picture. Adding a strap-on tactical cheek rest helped. That's my mistake, I goofed in ordering the synthetic stock. I am toying with the idea of having a walnut stock made for it.

Another problem is the forend is too round, it doesn't sit steady on the front rest, but does work okay with a Harris bipod and rear rabbit-ear bag. I made a removable screw-on plastic forend stabilizer that also increased weight for a more accurate hold on the rest.

The Cooper trigger is also funky, if you like a light pull under 1 pound. The Cooper can be adjusted to 1.5 pounds +/- but feels heavier to me. There is also some creep to the pull. It doesn't measure up to the Savage AccuTrigger, especially the one on the Savage Target Action, let alone a Jewel Trigger. Cooper clearly states that their rifles are for hunting, and the trigger is designed accordingly, so there are no false claims. For a hunting rifle trigger it is very good, and can be improved by a little tuning. There is only one aftermarket target/varmint weight trigger available for the Cooper from JARD.

I ordered a factory fluted barrel, and it is a nice touch.

It is a nice bit of machining and is very well finished. Equipped with a three lug bolt, bolt lift is minimal. It is also very accurate when I can do my part. Would I buy another? No, because now that Savage sells actions I can build up my own rifle with any ready to install high end barrel I want, and match or best the Cooper's accuracy for about the same cost. Not only that I can swap barrels and bolt heads, switching across the entire gamut of case head sizes. Still, the Cooper is an excellent rifle.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
excellent rifle..yea,would I buy another one. probley not. why?
for that kind of money I would put it toward a rifle build same as you. more options that way.
I ordered the Montana Varminter 1-12" in 243 AI. It will out shoot me. When I bought it was in the start of the spending $1500.00 at a time on a gun, not knowing anything about building one from the ground up.

Last edited by coyotewallace; 09/17/09.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I've been wanting an Excaliber in 280AI for quite awhile now. Checking prices this week it looks like Whitaker's has the best price but didn't have the gun I wanted in stock. Hendershot's or First Stop seem better to deal with at this point. They'll order anything you want whereas Whitaker's told me to keep checking their website. Not sure how long I want to wait or watch the website.

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Hey bill you might want to get on ordering that cooper I just talked to my FFL and he said that cooper told him prices are going up 5%-8% on October 1st so the current prices are not going to last long if that is true.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got a LH Model 52 in 280AI that I'm taking to WY in October. It gets 1 inch three shot groups at 200 yards with Nosler ammo of 140 grain Accubonds.

It is somewhat heavy, but well balanced, and very well made. I sent Cooper a stock blank of black and red burl wood and they turned it into a great looking stock. And if I knew how to use a digital camera and put the pictures on the the internet, I would post pics.

I hope you get your Cooper.

Steve

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Steve,
you figure out how to use that camara...email me those pics I'll post em fer ya. I'd like to see that rifle. how about posting some above normal coopers up here. give him some target pics to look at too..

Last edited by coyotewallace; 09/17/09.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by heavywalker
Yeah I had to sell my boat to get the old battle axe to approve.

WTF!!! your wife MADE you sell a boat to buy some guns.

But I guess that she did just let me buy a CZ .223, kimber montana .257bob, a MK 4 4.5x14x50 M1 mil/dot, and a VX3 2.5x8 in the last month so she is pretty good about it.

Holy smokes, there is a lot wrong with this post.

grin

grin

Camp is where you make it.
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by heavywalker
Yeah I had to sell my boat to get the old battle axe to approve.

WTF!!! your wife MADE you sell a boat to buy some guns.

But I guess that she did just let me buy a CZ .223, kimber montana .257bob, a MK 4 4.5x14x50 M1 mil/dot, and a VX3 2.5x8 in the last month so she is pretty good about it.

Holy smokes, there is a lot wrong with this post.

Just trying to get you guys riled up a little bit in here. I sold the boat because I had not put it in the water in about 3 years because it leaked like hell and when I go fishing it is with my buddies on there boats. I couldn't think of anything better to do with the money than buy a nice rifle.

grin

grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
coyotewallace,

Hell, I don't know how to email pics either. Pugs is going to help me with the digital camera and the posting of pics. He is a good friend, with a lot of patience, which he will need.

Thanks for the offer.

Steve

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

127 members (44automag, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 30Gibbs, 300_savage, 24 invisible), 1,492 guests, and 1,002 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,747
Posts18,495,208
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.