Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
OP Offline
G
I recently acquired a Brno Model 21, think it is a model H (does not have full length stock), no model markings on the rifle, but based on previous posts I read here earlier, it is a model 21. Action smooth, shotgroup very tight with Geco soft point. Serial # 24,000, 7x64mm, claw mounts, appears to be in 85-90% condition, barrel/bore are excellent; Czech Production Proof Mark from 1949 on receiver; Pachmayer recoil pad. I am considering having the claw mounts replaced with a EAW or Leupold quick release system, since the claw mounts for a scope are very expensive here in Germany to reproduce and fit correctly. Will this impact the value of the rifle significantly? Or is it worth the investment to get a claw mount scope put back on?

HR IC

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I have a BRNO 22 fullstock carbine in 7x64 and would, of course, love to have a matching rifle in any caliber, but 7x64mm would be perfect. Mine has claw mounts and a Hensoldt variable power scope with #1 post reticle.

So, I keep up with these things now, and shop for a companion rifle. Of the prices I see, I don't think it is going to add a lot of value to put on the claw mounts, but since you have the bases and only need the legs, it would seem you can find some standard ones that match. A lot of the ones of this era seem to conform to a standard.

I'll tell you how precision these things are, and the craftsmanship of the gunsmiths who mounted them. At the same time I bought my 7x64 BRNO, I bought a 1930 model factory Mauser full stock in 8x60mm, engraved, and with the claw mount bases but no scope. Out of curiousity, I removed the scope from the post-war BRNO, and tried it on the Mauser. It clicked into place! I was astounded. Two gunsmiths, almost 20 years apart, before CNC mills, just hand micrometers and calipers, locating the hole spacing within 2/1000 of an inch, as best I could read with my Starrett dial caliper.

Sadly, I could only keep one of the rifles (I had to buy them both to get one), so the 8x60mm has a happy new home.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
You have the finest production Mauser ever made..The mod. 21 signifies that it is the "rifle version" and it came in 20 and 24 inch barrel length..The Mod 22 signifies that it is a manlicher version and it also came in both barrel length..They are both small ring actions and most were double square bridge actions, but a few (rare) have round receivers..

I would leave the claw mounts on the gun and they are the best QD mount ever produced as far as return to zero and a good smith can tighten them up from time to time but most have an adjustment just for that. You can't do better. I have owned many of these guns over the years but they kept getting so valuble that I ended up selling most of them when they doubled in value. They are still climbing every year in value.

Presently, I have a Brno M-21 double squre bridge small ring Mauser in 9.3x62 that is a super fantastic rifle..It was originally a 7x57 with a damaged bore, so I had the original barrel traced using a Lothar Walther blank, used the original sleeved rear sight, barrel band sling swivel and flush fitted barrel band front sight..It was traced so close that the stock bedding didn't even need a touch up, it was perfect..It looks to be completely original other than its in a caliber that Brno never produced and the stock has been refinished it appears..It is supurbly accurate shooting under and inch with several loads.

Great rifle in a great caliber. I am going to sell it or my Ruger SS 338, as they are so close balistically so whichever one sell first then I'll keep the other.. for additional information contact Ray at rayatkinsonhunting.com

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Goldminer,

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on getting that Brno! Its not that clear to me what you have or need for mounts?

Do you have the 21H with the square receiver bridges? Is it possible to show pictures of what you have?

Here is a 21h with the square bridges and what I believe to be the factory mount.

[Linked Image]

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a few,my 7x64 is the ZG47 model
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Can't say to any of this but I listened to Zbrojovka Brno, Norodni Podnik backwards and found out where Paul was buried. Coo coo kachoo.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rifle,

Thats a fabulous collection. Good for you.

If you wish show more pictures(s) of any of them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
While I was buying all of these over the years,I passed on some pretty good Savage 99's and early Marlins,now they are hard to find!..but I guess that's what keeps us in the game!

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
This is one of those keeper's !!

Come on America,

G
OP Offline
G
Send me your email and I will send picture. I am having problems uploading pictures due to file size. The rifle does not have square bridges.

Last edited by Goldminer05a; 09/16/09.
IC B3

G
OP Offline
G
Okay, I think the picture worked as a file attachment. Let me know if you can view. Cheers.

Attached Images
IMG_5056.jpg (60.99 KB, 6003 downloads)
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thats beautiful Goldminer. Here is your picture.

[Linked Image]

I have a drilling with similar claw mounts. There have to be scopes out there with appropiate mounts that will fit.

Now that you have the picture you can show what you need.

G
OP Offline
G
Savage 99 thanks for pulling the picture in, still getting the hang of this site. Lot's of great info here and I appreciate all the comments and pictures of other great Brno/CZ collections. Although it may cost me a little, I am inclined to find a claw mount set that will fit; very reluctant to modify factory orginal from something produced in 1949 and still shoot quarter size shot groups.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought my first for $350.00,my last one at $1600.00.This was in a span of about 8 years! They all shoot great. I have 2 in 6.5x57,7x57, two 8x57 and the ZG47 in 7x64.I'm still looking for a 5.6x57 and a 9.3x62....You have a good looking rifle and good luck on the claw mounts.

Come on America,

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rifle,

You have a fabulous collection of fine Brno's. I had never heard of or seen one here in my area. To me the 99's and the old 70's were the ne plus ultra of hunting rifles.

Only when I read of the Brno's on the net did I seek one out. I paid more than you of course for the two I have as I got a late start. Now the prices are out of sight it seems.

To add: Here are some that I saw at a show last year.

[Linked Image]

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Where was that gun show?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think at today's prices they are still a good buy.The market finlly caught up to them,same with Brownings and FN mausers,they were slow to increase in value compared to Win/P64's,but they getting to that level....rifle

Come on America,

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wish I could remember? The dealer was not at his table and to be frank what with those asking prices I was not interested.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The FN Supreme that I had for sale took forever to sell at $595. Finally its gone and after the consignment commission I got $400 something.

I think the Brno's are priced way too high but the market sets the prices.

[Linked Image]

I switched that scope to an old Weaver and got $4XX for it. Its a 270. Maybe thats why?

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Savage, I know that dealer, he's from the Albany, NY area. Saw those rifles at both the Albany and Saratoga shows.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (1minute, 1badf350, 219 Wasp, 2500HD, 219DW, 270cowboy, 62 invisible), 2,383 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,170
Posts18,503,164
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.