Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I'm trying to determine whether the 1/4 friction dial on the
vx-1 is going to be as accurate and hold the same as one
with 1/4 clicks? I don't do precision target shooting, and
have always sighted my rifle about 3" high @ 100yds and then
use field tested hold over for longer range hunting.
I know the click finger adjustments are more convenient,
but I don't mind using the coin and have always made minor
adjustments looking over my dials anyway. The only times
I would re-adjust is a quick re-sighting a couple times a
year, or changing from my 165gr. to 180 partitions.
The main concern is will the friction style give accurate movement and maintain POI as good as clicks?

Earl.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My experience with several of both is, the micro friction scopes wander all over the place throughout the year. I have sent all my scopes in to Leupold and had target turrets installed over the years. I like the MUCH more positive "clicks". They hold zero SOOOOOOO much better. No more wandering groups and my rifles stay zeroed year round. I can't believe the difference clicks adjustments and turrets make. I often wondered how a rifle could be dead on one year, then be 8 inches off the next season with no bumps or banging around. It is something to do with the friction settings. I went to turrets and they are always on. They are SOOOOO worth the money, due to confidence and money savings in spent ammo getting them back to zero. Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got a few Leupolds with friction adjustments and have never had a problem with them holding zero through being bounced around on a four wheeler or banged around in a scabbard.

Life is just one damned thing after another
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Is it necessary then to tap the scope knobs after adjusting a click adjustable scope like so many people have been told to do with the friction scopes to settle them. Similar to shooting your rifle to settle the scope into its current adjustment. I see people doing this, but don't do it myself so was wondering if there is something to it.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have an early Weaver V7 that "needs" a shot to produce the full value of an adjustment. It about drove me nuts before I figured out what it was (not) doing.

Current scopes perform better for me.

I do like the digital over the analog. wink

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Never had a problem with them holding zero,but clicks are easier to deal with for adjustments JMO

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have a Leupold VX II with micro friction adustment. Each mark on the dials is 2 MOA! Talk about a pain getting sighted in. I wrote Leupold, but they want like $80.00 to make it to clicks. Don't even know if that would include going to 1/4". Plus shipping. Too much for a scope of that caliber. While they do have great customer service, I can't for the life of me understand what guys think is so great about Leupold products. I have another VX II that is 2-7 x 32 and the coating is missing from the edges. I see Leupold going the way of Remington and Ruger. Soon, we'll all be shooting CZ's, Tikka's, and maybe a Savage, with Nikon, Bushnell, or Sightron scopes. There are just too many good choices out there to put up with overpriced, inferior products just because they are "American"-yeah right.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by carlm
I have a Leupold VX II with micro friction adustment. Each mark on the dials is 2 MOA! Talk about a pain getting sighted in. I wrote Leupold, but they want like $80.00 to make it to clicks. Don't even know if that would include going to 1/4". Plus shipping. Too much for a scope of that caliber. While they do have great customer service, I can't for the life of me understand what guys think is so great about Leupold products. I have another VX II that is 2-7 x 32 and the coating is missing from the edges. I see Leupold going the way of Remington and Ruger. Soon, we'll all be shooting CZ's, Tikka's, and maybe a Savage, with Nikon, Bushnell, or Sightron scopes. There are just too many good choices out there to put up with overpriced, inferior products just because they are "American"-yeah right.

I assume you mean Vari-x II, and an older one at that.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I've got an older 4X Leupold, that I bought in 1984, an even older, bought used 3X Leupold, a bought used 7.5XAO Leupold that is as old as any and a 3-9X33 Compact that I've had since 2001. All have friction adjustments.
I've got two 6X42's that have windage adjustments that are still of the friction type. One, which like it's brother, had a target style elevation turret, but has now been replaced with the original friction style dial.
None of these have ever changed zero. And that includes some really nasty falls and bumps. One of the reasons why I like Leupolds so much. And the reason why I've kept these scopes. Even though they are all single coated, so called inferior optics.
Yes, I rezero them at times for different ammunition.
I've heard all about tapping the scope. Or shooting it to get it to change zero. Never have I done that. If I ever do, the scope goes back to Leupold to get fixed.
I have had them not move quite as much as they should, or even a bit more than they should when adjusting them. But all of them can be, and are, zeroed exactly where I want them. I'm fussy about that.
So, they may not move as precisely as the more expensive, newer finger tip stuff does on the VX3, or like my new FX3, but, they won't move once zeroed. E

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I assume its "older". I bought it used and didn't notice the clicks. The 2-7 was on a rifle I traded for. From hearing all the blah blah on Leupolds, I figured that unless they were abused, which they did not appear to be, they had to be good. Wrong. As I side note, I also had a spotting scope I bought in combination with a pair of range finding binos that had bad lens coating. Because I bought it brand new, I sent it back to Leupold and they replaced it.

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Eremicus
I've got an older 4X Leupold, that I bought in 1984, an even older, bought used 3X Leupold, a bought used 7.5XAO Leupold that is as old as any and a 3-9X33 Compact that I've had since 2001. All have friction adjustments.
I've got two 6X42's that have windage adjustments that are still of the friction type. One, which like it's brother, had a target style elevation turret, but has now been replaced with the original friction style dial.
None of these have ever changed zero. And that includes some really nasty falls and bumps. One of the reasons why I like Leupolds so much. And the reason why I've kept these scopes. Even though they are all single coated, so called inferior optics.
Yes, I rezero them at times for different ammunition.
I've heard all about tapping the scope. Or shooting it to get it to change zero. Never have I done that. If I ever do, the scope goes back to Leupold to get fixed.
I have had them not move quite as much as they should, or even a bit more than they should when adjusting them. But all of them can be, and are, zeroed exactly where I want them. I'm fussy about that.
So, they may not move as precisely as the more expensive, newer finger tip stuff does on the VX3, or like my new FX3, but, they won't move once zeroed. E

Try a Sightron with Zact Track or a high end Burris and "shoot a square". They move like they're supposed to, stay where you put them, and once set, shoot where you point them. And they don't cost any more than a Leupold and have a lifetime warranty.

A
aceman Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Thanks for all the input guys, so up here in calgary, a VX-1 retais for about $319, and the VX-11 is about $350. Trying to weigh the advantages for the extra $130, so far I see extra coatings, with more light transmission, and click adjustments.
I don't know if there would be a noticable difference with
brightness in the field, but having more accurate clicks that
hold consistently is priority.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
+1 I'm with you Eremicus. I presently own a few Leupolds, (26 last count ). Some show a few battle scars and marks etc, I will be using my 3-9x42 1978 model on a 300 HH m98 next week to shoot a few pigs . This scope has not moved poi in 15 yrs and is still a terrific scope as are all the others .Every man has a different point of view , but from my perspective it doesn't matter if it's friction or clicks . If it stays put over a period of time it's reliable. Best value for your dollar is the Leupold VX 2 2-7 x33 for a hunting scope ,I only wish we paid the same prices here in Australia as you guys . Then I could buy a few more!!!!!

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by cal74
I've got a few Leupolds with friction adjustments and have never had a problem with them holding zero through being bounced around on a four wheeler or banged around in a scabbard.

Ditto.
I've never had a problem with Leupold's friction adjustments changing POI.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

+1 on never having problems with friction adj. I actually prefer it to clicks. But if it has "Leupold" on it, it really doesn't matter to me.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
My experience with the friction adjustments is some do better than others. Have had best luck with the fixed powers. Click adjustments while more positive, have not been exactly 1/4 MOA, but consistent and predictable. I have seen some leupolds take some hard knocks and they remained at zero, they have my confidence.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I suspect that the click adjustments would pay for themselves in ammunition savings pretty quickly at todays prices. Especially if you are shooting factory "condor loads"
That being said my friction adjusment Leupie has never gone sideways on me. My newer scopes are split between Leupie and Sightron. There is very little difference if any.

You can't miss fast enough to win!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

159 members (2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 45_100, 26 invisible), 2,115 guests, and 1,023 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,706
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.