Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Referencing my "Unit 15" thread below....my buddies got back and had the worst time of their lives...everything that could go wrong, did...in a big way. They only "got into" elk once, on the second day. I have no idea what NM's regulations are concerning how hunts are conducted, but apparently something's terribly wrong here....I love NM and elk hunt there exclusively...just not in unit 15, so I had nothing to compare it to.

To start things off, while their hunt was in progress (1st bow hunt for that unit), every yahoo who had drawn a later hunt was in the unit scouting while my buds were trying to hunt...4-wheelers hauling ass all up and down the roads. Two issues here, besides the obvious screwing up of my friends hunt: Some of them were careful to NOT have their bows with them since they had not drawn for that hunt, but they were seen hauling back to the truck, campsite, etc once they had spotted elk...hmm...wonder why? My two friends purposely hunted an average of 3 miles apart from each other to give each other room. My first buddy told me he was in a drainage that held promise, lots of bugling, sighting of some nice bulls...and the "scouters" would appear on their ATV's and spook the elk into the next zip code. Their tactics succeeded in keeping my buddy away from "their" elk so the bulls would be around for their hunt, whenever that may be. Hunter harrassment from our own??? You betcha!

USO outfitters were also guiding in the area too and would follow my buddy to an area and deliberately walk through his area and spook the elk he was working...he challenged the USO guides and their clients to no avail...they would walk past him, and not even look at him from 10 feet away....even when my friend would tell them he had hiked to that spot beginning at 4 AM and "how about moving on"! They would arrive in ATV's and just mess up his area something horribly....obviously on purpose, and take their clients to the next hill over....

The USO guides were also cruising the unit all night long in their ATV's marking bugles with their GPS's for the next morning's hunt...no wonder the elk would not bugle during the day and no wonder why they never saw any...the USO folks chased them into the next zip code.

I have no problem with folks roaming the unit, scouting prior to their hunt obviously, but once another hunt is on, they need to stay the hell out. As far as USO...well, this is how ass whuppin's happen. I would have called the Game and Fish folks or something, and report all this mess, one buddy wanted to, the other was content to just "be in the mountains". Both said its their last time there....they will not be putting in for that unit again.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I found that oufitters as a whole are the most inconsiderate and unethical group of people out there, followed by thier guides.

USO is noted for thier tactics out here in the west.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
USO I thought got fined for fly over spotting including in the Wilderness areas. They will also claim the fire towers and GPS clients in. That sort of thing has ruined hunting for all and needs to be stopped. The 4 wheelers are restricted to roads and game pick up only is my understanding.

Last time I was in the Reserve area they had a base camp right on the air strip and two planes parked there.

It also made me quit reading Craig Boddington after he endorsed USO outfitters.

Your buddies can still register a complaint and should. It will happen again and it could escalate into more than an A** whupping.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Couldn't they get away from the roads? You have to hunt where nobody in their right minds would go. No one wants to pack an elk out of a $%**hole, and that's where you have to hunt in situations you have described.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
It's hard to get where there are no roads in most of New Mexico. Sad really.

IC B2

S
S
Like Tejano mentioned, The only reason 'hunting celebrities' endorse anyone or anything is because they are either financially compensated, or get lots of free product. It would be unfortunate for sometrhing to happen to someone's ATV if they were far from camp...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have no problem with folks roaming the unit, scouting prior to their hunt obviously, but once another hunt is on, they need to stay the hell out.
That's almost too funny... I definitely can understand the frustration of dealing with others and those that don't follow travel regs really upset me. But, to expect others to 'stay the hell out' so you can enjoy what you're there to do is quite contradictory IMO. Maybe those with a later hunt think you 'should keep the hell out' and quit messing with 'their' elk...

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
If it is the area I am familar with, getting away from ATV's is next to impossible. The area is criss crossed with two tracks going to dirt tamks and water holes for cattle.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Whatever Pointer....it's just how it came about, the their obvious motives that pissed me off. Didn't seem right.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Boy that sucks.

Hunt a Wilderness area next time where vehicle traffic is forbidden. We're going on our first Elk hunt next year and that's what we decided to do. I'd rather see foot or horse traffic that have those damn 4 wheelers buzzing around everywhere.

If they manage to walk in on you they have as much right to be there as the next fella. I wouldn't expect any consideration from them by being there first. Unfortunately, that died along time ago on public land.

I'd try to use it to my advantage and find the nastiest place on the map that was inaccessbible by vehicle and head there.

Just like the elk would I imagine. I feel for your buddies. That outfitter has some jerks working for them.

I learned along time ago that most of today's generation of hunters don't know what the word "courtesy" means.

JM.

IC B3

H
H
ATVs are the death of quality hunting. I hate the [bleep] things. If i drew a tag in an area where i could shoot a 360 bull but would have to bunt in an ATV circus, id burn the tag.

ATV hunters SUCK, and this thread reminded me why.

There now i feel better.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I quit hunting spring turkeys in the Gila because I was seriously afraid that my hunting partner was going to end up shooting someone riding an ATV. The bastards are just nuts up there. I won't put in for elk in NM in any unit that does not have a significant proportion of wilderness for the same reason.

Last edited by mudhen; 09/20/09.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Outrageous.
I've seen a similar type of harrassment happen from waterfowl outfitters.
In Colorado it would be illegal to interfere with someone engaged in a legal hunt. I'm thankful for that law but it is still usually consolation after the hunt is ruined.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
That's when it's time to be ultra courteous and offer the outfitter and his clients some homemade brownies and a smoke. The brownies, of course, are of the Ex-Lax variety and the smokes have the notorious horse hair inserted. Have a nice hunt, gentlemen.

This is God's universe, and he has a plan. You might think that you have aa better plan, but you don't have a universe.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
This is why I stopped applying for 15! TOO many land owner vouchers, too many roads, and it is easy to get around in. There are good bulls, but the unit needs some management. I only try for limited access or wilderness now. Sorry you had a bad time and USO has their camp there on the border of 15/16.

Good Shooting!
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Hornsquatch
ATVs are the death of quality hunting. I hate the [bleep] things. If i drew a tag in an area where i could shoot a 360 bull but would have to bunt in an ATV circus, id burn the tag.

There now i feel better.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Yuup atv's and 4x4 trucks should be far more restricted.

Down in the owyhee area [sw of boise] it looks like an atv circus -bring your atv out with your shiney 4x4 z-71 break out your bore sighted for a thousand yard ultramag an start riding around glistening and pretty.
The orange vest atv circus come to hunt.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Hornsquatch

There now i feel better.

Agreed - we have the same problems in Oregon. Was out trying to help a my hunting buddy get an elk last week, the quads were all over, have seen guys cow call/bugle while sitting on a running quad with their bow strapped on the front.
Retards is really all I can say.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Thanks for all the info...I'll pass it along to my buds. We hunt ranches for elk...I save my $ for years and go there. Public land hunts are not for me...I'm way too short tempered to be there with a loaded weapon in my hands.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I've noticed lately I have an immediate involuntary reaction to the sound of an ATV, I get a knot in my stomach and I can feel my blood pressure rise, no lie.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
You all might want to join 'Backcountry Hunters and Anglers', who are "dedicated to quality hunting and fishing and the preservaion of wilderness". They also work to restrict ATV access and illegal usage.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (160user, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 1234, 65 invisible), 2,405 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,475
Posts18,489,932
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.