Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
V
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
V
Got a chance to grab one (30" octagonal barrel, higher grade wood, silver fore-end tip, pistol grip, ladder sights), for a not bad price.

Any thoughts on them?

Oh, it's a '90, and I can like that......... wink

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
45-90, 50-90 or 1990??? wink

I really like my rolling block (an original, not a Pedersoli). Had I had it built and finished before I ordered my Shiloh Sharps, I wouldn't have ordered the Sharps. If you're asking about a XX-90, I think you would like either the 50 or the 45. I have no great experience with either, though, as I only have boring 45-70's . . .

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
V
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
V
Sorry, .45-90.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
There are no flies on the Pedersolis, or the .45-90. It has all the power any sane person would ever need, meaning it can handle targets to 1000 yards or more, and kill just about anything that walks. It not difficult to load for, although brass is a bit more than .45-70. You can use .45-70 loading dies, at least I have been able to do so. Most .45-90 shooters go with Starline brass. It's good stuff, although it needs to be annealed. Pretty routine step for us BPCR shooters.

If the price is right, I'd say go for it.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
V
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
V
Well, I got it.

Rifle (sans venier sight), Lyman 3-die set, 100 cases (97 virgin), and I'm into it less than $700.........

I can live with that.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Are you planning on using black or smokeless?

V
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
V
Pedersoli is BP only, and that's fine with me.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'm a black powder only guy, and have been for years. Do you have a mold, and what are you planning on for bullets?

V
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
V
Haven't got to the mold part yet...... I figure 500-550 grains, 1-20 to 1-30 cast, but haven't gotten much further than that yet.

Definitely open to suggestions, though.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The go-to bullet for the .45 BPCRs is a Postell weighing about 535 grs. As good a bullet to start with as any. You can buy them precast from various sources, and prelubed, or you can lube them yourself. SPG lube is a standard. You don't need a lubrisizer. A .060 veggie wad over the powder. If you didn't get one with the rifle, you'll need a compression die.

Here is a good guide to get you started, and priced right (free). Some of the stuff is a bit dated, and some I don't agree with, such as sifting powder. You don't need to do that, especially with Swiss. Still, it's a good start with a lot of good info.

http://www.ssbpcrc.co.uk/Resources/Introduction%20to%20BPCR%20Loading.pdf

Feel free to ask any question you may have, and I'm sure I can help, as can some of the other posters here.

Paul

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If you want to hunt, the Lyman 457125 Govt. bullet is in a class by itself. 82 to 85 grains of 2f will push that 520 grain round nosed bullet to something in the neighborhood of 1275 fps and it will shoot through and through any critter you get in your sights. I have killed American bison with it and used it in Africa. So far, I haven't recovered a bullet, as I have gotten complete pass throughs on everything I have shot.

If you want to shoot target at distances over 350 yards, the Lyman Postell 457132 at 535 grains has a better BC and shoots a bit flatter when you get beyond 400 yards.

You will find that the 1-18 twist in your barrel will not give very good accuracy with the lighter bullets, but that Pedersoli barrel is top notch and the 1-18 twist is in love with those two bullets.

Use the same powder charge with either bullet, and cast them at 30-1, and you and your roller will be a couple of happy campers.

Last edited by sharpsguy; 09/30/09. Reason: typo
V
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
V
Fellas, I am MUCH appreciating the assistance!

Figured out exactly the model. It's a Pedersoli John Bodine model, made specifically for Cherry's Fine Guns of Greensboro, NC, with the double set triggers, and from the breech face to the muzzle it's a 34" barrel. Damn................ grin

The bore slugs to .457", or just a RCH under.

Last edited by VAnimrod; 10/01/09. Reason: slugged the bore.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I figured you took a trip to Cherry's. Their website is quite the pick-me-up if your feeling out of sorts.

Did you know that black powder is an aphrodisiac?

V
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
V
It wasn't at Cherry's. It was orphaned at a pawn shop in Asheboro.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
It wasn't at Cherry's. It was orphaned at a pawn shop in Asheboro.

I hate to see orphans. I've done my best to keep 'em from going to the orphanage when my friends just can't support them anymore.

If you made out with 7 bills in it, you did good. Real good.

Last I remember that was a 4 digit shootin' iron.

You are intending to hunt with it, right?

V
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
V
If it's a standard, Cherry's lists it for about $1,700. If it's a deluxe (and the wood is rather nice), it's about $2,300.

Of course I intend to hunt it. Silly question.......... wink

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Quite a deal you got. Now with all the money you saved you can rationalize buying all the additional junk it takes to play the BPCR game. laugh

A 34" barrel might be a bit unwieldy for hunting. Another problem is fouling, which becomes more of a challenge with the additional length. If you ever decide it's just too much, it would be no big deal to have it lopped shorter. Most silhouette shooters seem to be going with 30", because of the weight limitation and for the offhand chickens. Long range shooters typically go with 32", although there are 34 inchers out there. I had my Shiloh .45-90 cut from 34" to 32", and like it better.

I've never gotten into paper punching competition, but I use my .45-90 for gong shooting matches, that is steel out to 1000 yards. Great fun with a great bunch of people.

Paul

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You may want to consider this addition to your paraphenalia
https://www.sageoutfitters.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=40103

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sean, The link in the post above is a great resource fo BPC needs, Harlen is a friend and a all around great guy.

If you like the Roller I do have knowledge of a custom that could be had for the price of a new Pedersoli.

However, my suggestion for a BPC rifle is a HEPBURN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nathanial you ever shoot at Alliance?

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
grinIt sure is nice to know that my corrupting influence works so nice!! grin Fellas, I believe that VA has sumpthin' like this in what will soon be what is left of his mind grin
[Linked Image]
Making big tatsy critters into chops, steaks and burgers grin

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
VAnimrod--Whatever you do, don't cut the barrel off. Use it at 34". You'll get used to it. Those barrels are made with a taper choke built into the last 4 inches or so toward the muzzle, and this is one reason they have earned their great reputation for accuracy. Cut the barrel off, and you will remove the choke.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well that's alright but if you want something that tastes a little better than the bottom of a bog and willow buds..... smile
[Linked Image]

www.historicshooting.com
V
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
V
I'm diggin' the way this thing looks and handles at 34".

She is what she is, and she'll stay that way. If I want a shorter barreled rifle, I'll just have to get one........... wink

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I do!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think you scored well, and you should have lots of fun and challenges in the coming months. Good luck, 1Minute

1Minute
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Ranch 13, ET, You guys are no fun at all. You really know how to hurt a fellow stuck on dial up down here. I can't post pictures--what can I say.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by sharpsguy
Ranch 13, ET, You guys are no fun at all. You really know how to hurt a fellow stuck on dial up down here. I can't post pictures--what can I say.

laugh Hello Wildblue Satellite Service? It only cost us 20 amonth more than the dialup, and the time it saves plus the added things you can do with these machines, its worth it>

Nathaniel, I do to and sometimes Paul 39 does as well. Figuring maybe to hit the last monthly shoot over there if the weather straighens up by Sunday. You know anything about long range Shooting at Cheyenne? heard some rumbling the gunslinger bunch is shooting monthly down there.

www.historicshooting.com
V
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
V
Damn, I want to shoot this thing this weekend so bad I'm tempted to grab a box of Rem. .45-70 405s, just to go bang with...... But, I know better.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
EvilTwin has hooked him another one on the BPCR I see. grin

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

V
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
V
Hell, I wanted a boomer LONG before meeting ET, though ringing 18" steel gongs at 505 yards with a .45-110 and the barrel sight just accelerated plans.......... and then I run into this deal.......... well, that, was that.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
ET had plenty of help from the rest of the BPCR bandits. laugh

Paul

V
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by Paul39
ET had plenty of help from the rest of the BPCR bandits. laugh

Paul

He don't need no help..............

V
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
V
Pics:

Davide' Pedersoli "John Bodine" Rolling Block, .45/90, 34" heavy octagonal barrel, special run for Cherry's Fine Guns in Greensboro, NC:
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Cherry's Fine Guns, Greensboro, NC
To comply with target shooters and hunters requests in the late 1800's, Remington offered "custom built" rifles equipped with "set triggers." Davide Pedersoli & Co. are now pleased to introduce this new version of the famous Rolling Block equipped with "DOUBLE SET TRIGGERS" which enhance the use of this rifle in long range target competition, as well as in hunting. A heavy 30" octagonal barrel with blued matte (anti-glare) finish is used on the model S820 and this same type barrel 34" is on model S821. The comfortable pistol grip type butt stock and forearm are made from selected walnut and the forearm has an inletted German Silver cap. Sights are the same as listed for the Sharps Model S792 and consist of the USA430 Long-Range Creedmoor tang sight and the USA469-R front tunnel sight with inserts. The Rolling Block "John Bodine" offers an excellent choice for shooters who do not prefer the Sharps models and may like the hang, balance and feel of the Rolling Block. Weight: 13.45 lbs. for .45/90 (S821) BLACK POWDER ONLY!

Pics:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b165/VAnimrod/HPIM1518.jpg[/img]

V
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
V

V
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
V
Cartridge comparisons.

.45-90 and a .223:
[Linked Image]

.45-110, .45-90, and a .223:
[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
VAN aren't you glad you didn't get that old roller we had the long conversation about?
Get on the machine get some scrapline 45-90 brass headed your way, some goex cartridge or some 1f and go make some smoke.

www.historicshooting.com
V
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
V
Yep, and yep.

I have 100 Starline cases that came in the deal.

Just found a GOEX distributor within 30-45 minutes of the house.

Bullets, are in the works.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Oh Lordy, that's pretty!

You may already know this, but primers aren't all that critical with BPCR loads, at least not until you get to the point of fine tuning for accuracy. Especially with the current shortage, just about any LR primer will do, standard or magnum. You don't have to worry about varying components producing excess pressure with BP the way you do with smokeless.

Paul

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Just found a GOEX distributor within 30-45 minutes of the house.

If that's the wholesaler over south of Winston, don't forget your driver's license. Not that I would drive anywhere without my license and have to drive all the way back to get it, than drive all the way back over to get powder. crazy

Just a friendly reminder....

V
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
V
<laughin'>

You have no ideas how many times I left the house this week, without that permit............. shocked

V
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by Paul39
Oh Lordy, that's pretty!

You may already know this, but primers aren't all that critical with BPCR loads, at least not until you get to the point of fine tuning for accuracy. Especially with the current shortage, just about any LR primer will do, standard or magnum. You don't have to worry about varying components producing excess pressure with BP the way you do with smokeless.

Paul

What primer shortage? wink

V
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by sharpsguy

You dial up [bleep] must be hating me about now......... wink

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Very nice.

You will have a thread about HUNTING with it I hope?

Silly question...and very sweet rifle!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ranch13

Nathaniel, I do to and sometimes Paul 39 does as well. Figuring maybe to hit the last monthly shoot over there if the weather straighens up by Sunday. You know anything about long range Shooting at Cheyenne? heard some rumbling the gunslinger bunch is shooting monthly down there.

I have stopped by Cheyenne and checked out their LR shoot once but have not gone back.
Will be in Alliance this weekend, left my camper there in August and need to bring it home. Sausage and eggs Sunday morning?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well if we get down there in time, might bum a cup of coffee....
Not sure the way the weather is if I'll make it down or not, but thanks for the offer.

www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
VAnimrod buys a roller and I found a 45/90 1886 Winchester yesterday. A current production version mind you not an original.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hell, I wanted a boomer LONG before meeting ET, though ringing 18" steel gongs at 505 yards with a .45-110 and the barrel sight just accelerated plans.......... and then I run into this deal.......... well, that, was that.

grinYeah, bangin' a small target that far away WITH AN ORIGINAL RIFLE and OLD style ammunition has a way of warping a brain even faster and farther than usual grin VA, I goofed and miscounted. I will have 35 paper patched slugs, 540 grainers from Jorge's mold and 15 gg Lyman 125 slugs going out tomorrow with wads and lube ribbons to cookie cut going out tomorrow grin

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wish you all would hush. My wallet can't stand a BPCR purchase right now. grin

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

V
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
V
Trade fodder, HBB..... Trade fodder......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hillbillybear:
I wish you all would hush. My wallet can't stand a BPCR purchase right now.

Ain't that the truth. I had never been around BPCR stuff, but a group rolled into our range for a morning shoot, and I had to go over and see what was going on. They started at a 1000 yds to beat the heat waves and worked their way in to the short stuff. That inquisitive moment cost me about 4 grand 6 months later.

1Minute
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
VA, you gotta know that we'll all be waiting for a range report.

Meanwhile, here's a bit of inspiration/aspiration for you.

Shot with my .45-90 and the load I sent you, Jones Creedmoor bullet. Load was new, not previously tested, 200 yards, no sighters.

Paul

[Linked Image]

V
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
V
That is so not fair.

Paul, thank you for the bullets and the information you've provided. I'm still digesting the e-mails, and will respond in time (likely later this week).

I anticipate a range session before the end of the month.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

You haven't got the time for a range session, what with work and neighbor issues and all.

Let me come pick up the gun, and I'll take care of that tedious and sometimes painful process of break in and load development.

I'll have it ready to go by next deer season.

Or the one after.

V
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by RWE

You haven't got the time for a range session, what with work and neighbor issues and all.

Let me come pick up the gun, and I'll take care of that tedious and sometimes painful process of break in and load development.

I'll have it ready to go by next deer season.

Or the one after.

Such generosity............ How can I possibly refuse? wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
grinMighty nice of 'im ain't it VA?? grin 'Ceptin' that once the well of the BIG slugs runs dry he's gonna haveta learn to cast big slugs of his own. grin No matter how ya slice it, gettin' bit by the BP monkey is gonna suck ya in farther and farther and farther....,

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Once you find out how well those BIG SLUGS work on game, how accurate they are, and how far you can reach and shoot all the way through things with them, you won't want to shoot anything else. But then, why should you?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Awwwwm comeon now Sharpsguy, we all know if you ain't got a belted maginum you can't shoot nothing bigger than squirrels. And the best you can hope for is a 350 jacketedy bullet doing 2200 from a 45-70. Why them ol slow big slugs......
Oh and dont forget those bullets best be designed on a computer program cuz them guys that built bullets for the Sharps co didn't know diddly.......

(lots a tongue in cheek in this post)

www.historicshooting.com
V
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
V
Don't own any belted magnums (well, except a P17 .300H&H conversion, that ain't here yet, that will will eventually be a .375H&H).

'06, .221, .243, .303 British (times a lot), .30-30, frontstuffers from .50 and up, .22LRs.....

They just kill schit, and that's what I want them for.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Ranch--Do you think we oughta tell him to get a Rough and Ready rear barrel sight for his roller and correlate it with a laser rangefinder? Do you think he would want to know how to kill elk at 500 yards? Probably not, but I was just wondering.

V
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
V
Mean. Just damned mean...........................

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sharpsguy, no I don't think we'ld ought to even mention he can go to www.montanavintagearms.com and order the rough and ready sight for 90$. Probably don't want to mention anything about making a front sight from a copper penny either.
Wouldn't wanna spook him off of the reddot sight with the turkey rectumicle he's dreaming of mounting on that rifle.....

www.historicshooting.com
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

483 members (007FJ, 160user, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 42 invisible), 2,231 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,377
Posts18,488,483
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.