Print Thread
Hop To
M
Murphy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
A delimna has arrived. I am going to order a new Sharps next week, maybe week after, whenever I get to Big Timber. I think the 45's are very good versatile calibers but too common amongst the BPC shooters. I want to be different and am considering a 50 2.5" in a saddle rifle, with a 26" inch heavy-half barrel, with some minor upgrades. What thinks ye folks in regard to its use as a hunting rifle, not the target line for this one. I have a similar saddle rifle in 40-70 SS with standard weight etc. What about the 26", should I go longer with the fifty? It is essentially a ninty grain case, more or less depending on powder used and bullet type.

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have no experience with .50s, but why don't you ask your question over on the Shiloh forum? There seem to be a few .50 shooters that hang out there. Kurt comes to mind.

Sounds like a cool rifle, but all Shilohs are cool.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wonderful rifles with more built in quality than any other production firearm I know of in the states. The suggestion to go straight to the source (Shilo forum) is a good one. Think you will find that you're really not being a radical at all with the 50. Be prepared for a fairly long weight. I'd order it now.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've shot a 5090 in a Shiloh. There's a reason they send the standard weight barrels back to get the heavyweights installed.
If you want something "different" in the saddle rifle might think about the 44-77. If you're dead set on a 50 go with the LRE, or a #1 with the heavy octagon 32 inch.
50's a good shooter but the recoil is about like a 12ga 3in.in the heavy guns, makes my eyes cross just thinking about it in the saddle rifle.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One thing most overlook when getting a 50. EVERYTHING you have for reloading is too small!! Loading blocks, shell holders, dies, sometimes even the press has to be special for the 50 caliber cartridge guns.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
IC B2

M
Murphy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by 1minute
Wonderful rifles with more built in quality than any other production firearm I know of in the states. The suggestion to go straight to the source (Shilo forum) is a good one. Think you will find that you're really not being a radical at all with the 50. Be prepared for a fairly long weight. I'd order it now.

I hope you mean a long wait....yeah, they told me 16 months. I am going through there (Big Timber) in about two weeks. I'll stop and see Heather, work out the details and get one ordered.

M
Murphy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Thanks for the input guys, but one question. What's recoil?

I load and shoot several 50 calibers guns now, Jeffery, N.E., it all works in my Redding Big Boss or T-7 press. The loading blocks and several other things like trimmer pilots are hard to find for the big rimmed stuff. I want a short compact dainty little 11 pound rifle that's why I want the saddle gun. I can get longer barrel but want to stick with the half & half barrel, but they will only make the fifty in a heavy barrel so the weight should be enough. The saddle gun is not lighter except for barrel length. I like that stock config and the Creedmore trigger plate. I do need to get up to speed with the 50-90 though, it is new for me.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You going with the slow twist for the light bullets or going fast with the 700's?
With it taking anywhere from 100-125grs of 1f to adequately fill the big case, I'ld think 26 inches is gonna be hell for muzzleblast, and loose a bit of velocity.....
But have fun with it, don't forget to check see if they got anything on the rack that'll suit.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hope you mean a long wait....

Either way. Wait or weight. Got a 45-90 long range express a couple years ago. That was a 2-year wait. I'm still dialing things in and would like to use it on elk some day. It's a long weight though, as it came in at near 15 lbs. Not sure I want to pack it up the mountain.

I need to quit going to the office and put in about 2 months full time learning the intricacies of loading and shooting.

1Minute
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Ranch 13--You know how it is. You can lead a horse to water---

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 163bc, 1234, 17CalFan, 59 invisible), 2,282 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,996
Posts18,499,975
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.