Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Report of 1955 jet wreckage found stirs memories
By RAQUEL MARIA DILLON, Associated Press Writer Raquel Maria Dillon, Associated Press Writer Wed Sep 30, 11:38 am ET

LOS ANGELES � A historian's reported discovery of the wreckage of an Air Force jet lost at sea 54 years ago off the Southern California coast brought an unexpected surge of emotions for the pilot's brother, who found himself grieving all over again.

Aviation archaeologist G. Pat Macha said Tuesday that he and a group of volunteers found Richard Martin Theiler's plane underneath 100 feet of water earlier this month. Theiler was in the front seat of the Lockheed-Martin T-33A that went missing just after takeoff from the Los Angeles International Airport on Oct. 15, 1955.

"He was five years older than me, a good athlete and everyone loved him, so there was a lot of hero worship involved," said Thomas Theiler, 77, who followed his older brother into the Air Force. He now lives in Savannah, Ga. "He probably got his wings two years before I did. We were buddies."

Macha, 63, is an amateur historian who collects documents about military plane crashes. He is heading up a search for another historic wreck in Santa Monica Bay, a plane flown by a female World War II pilot who disappeared in 1944.

In April, a sonar survey turned up another missing aircraft, and Macha said he identified it by matching Air Force records to the serial number on a piece of the wreckage that the salt water had spared.

The Joint Prisoner of War/Missing in Action Command said it appears likely Macha's finding on the Air Force jet lost at sea 54 years ago are correct, but Lt. Col. Wayne Perry said the command plans to investigate further and determine whether the water is shallow enough to recover the wreckage.

Thomas Theiler said his brother had a wife and a 6-month-old son. Both died years ago.

The younger Theiler also lost a close friend from flight school that day, Lt. Paul Dale Smith, who was in the cockpit. Smith and the elder Theiler were training to fly with the Aerospace Defense Command and practicing navigation and night flying.

Los Angeles County sheriff's Lt. Jack Ewell said his department notified Theiler.

"It's particularly shocking because it's so long ago. It's not like people are just sitting and waiting for news," Ewell said.

Divers are examining the site, but there's only a remote chance that they'll find personal effects, remains or any clue about why the plane went down, he said.

The plane had just departed in bad weather bound for its base in Yuma, Ariz., but the pilots didn't make contact after they cleared the clouds.

At his base in Minneapolis, Theiler got word that his brother and friend were missing and a commander gave him a plane to fly to Yuma and wait for news.

"A pickup drove up with a wheel that a lifeguard found. It was from a military aircraft and they don't just float up onto the beach. So we knew what happened," Theiler said.

Macha said Theiler and his daughter got emotional when he spoke with them on the phone.

Theresa Morton, of Lake Forest, Ill., the dead pilot's niece, grew up imagining her uncle living on a desert island with his friend Smith.

She said she was grateful to Macha for helping write a closing chapter to her family history.

"This news has rocked our world, but on the other hand, it's really neat," she said. "I've been pulling out all the family photos, my dad's fighter wings, to show to my kids. It makes for wonderful family time."

Photo of wreckage:
[Linked Image]

T-33 Photos:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Link to story.

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A friend of mine at the University of Alaska was flying his T-craft in east central Alaska one summer day in 1958 or 1959 when he spotted what appeared to be recent aircraft wreckage on the ground. It turned-out to be a P-39 that had gone down on World War Two's "Red Star route" (lend-lease 'planes flown to Ladd Field in Fairbanks from Malmstrom Field in Great Falls, MT, for Russian pilots to fly to Russia). That poor guy � still in the cockpit, IIRC � had barely gotten past the YT-AK border, a long way short of Fairbanks.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I wonder if there are any T-33's still flying and in civilian hands.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by derby_dude

There are quite a few in civilian hands...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by derby_dude

According to Warbird Alley there's an unknown number still in military service and over 50 T-33's/P-80's in private ownership and still flying.

=====================
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Flying jets in the early days was an exciting proposition in more ways than one.

From The Aviation History On-line Musuem:

In the early years some T-33s were blowing up just after take-off. The T-33 (F-80) had a fuselage tank just aft of the cockpit, filled through a Zeus fastened cover plate and tank cap. Some of the pilots and/or ground crews were not diligent in checking the door or the cap. The aircraft would take off and at about 120 knots, the airflow would create a vacuum immediately over this cover. If it and the cap were not properly closed, the kerosene would be sucked out of the tank.

Immediately behind the filler tube were spring-loaded plenum chamber doors feeding extra air to the engine. These didn't close until the aircraft reached about 200 knots. The combustible mixture would ignite and cause the plan to explode. The problem was solved by placing two fins underneath the cover which had to mesh with the fin on the cap. The cover could not be locked if the cap wasn't secured. The pilots would always check the cover and it's Zeus fastener after hearing the horror story once.

=====================
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks guys. Looks like that would make one interesting civilian air craft for play. Imagine being a rich kid telling his girl friend lets go for a ride in my T-33. grin

Had a kid who use to ride on my bus when I drove city bus who was a F-4 Phantom jet jock with a couple of tours in Vietnam. When he got out of the Air force he had a tough time adjusting so he flew WWII fighters and bombers for his Dad, who was a rich guy with a lot of expensive toys, to air shows all over the country. Kid said he had to do something for a living.

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"Zeus" fastener? IIRC, the tool that we made when I was in the Navy (1950) was for loosening and tightening Dzus fasteners.

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have about 60 hours in the Attack/Trainer variant, and was required to carry a screwdriver to check that filler door during preflight! The clip is absolutely accurate, as far as my memory of the details goes.

With full tip tanks, it was VERY sluggish in roll during and after takeoff. If you hit turbulence and a wing dropped, it took a lot of stick and rudder to get it back up again - and then the momentum would cause it to keep rolling the other way. In weather, I can understand how you might end up out of control in seconds.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
"Zeus" fastener? IIRC, the tool that we made when I was in the Navy (1950) was for loosening and tightening Dzus fasteners.

It would appear that you are correct, and our friends at the on-line museum erred due to the pronunciation of "Dzus".

From The Dzus fastener article in Wikipedia:

Dzus (pronounced Zooss) is a proprietary name for a type of quarter-turn fastener often used to secure skin panels on aircraft. It was invented by William Dzus in the early 1930s. Quarter-turn fasteners are used to secure panels in equipment, airplanes and racing cars that must be removed often and/or quickly. [1]

In the UK, similar fasteners were made by Amal Ltd.

=====================
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

Moe

"Pick out two!"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looks like the A37s that were here at Barksdale when I was a kid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-37_Dragonfly

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
here is a story of the 1946 crash of a C45 in the Crazy Mountains. there is a little more to the story but the lone survivor was tried for desertion because he bailed out when the plane started sputtering.

http://www.amea.us/html/crash-site-visit.htm

i've been to the crash site. those 'ol rotary engines are cool.

i've also been to the crash site of a B47-b in the Absaroka Beartooth wilderness. the most of that wreckage was removed tho.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Interesting. Didn't know such a plane existed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When Steve Fossett died a couple years ago, there was of course a big search for him, all over that area of Nevada and Eastern California. IIRC they found two other plane wrecks, that had been missing for a long time. Remote country. Fossett's crash site, of course was eventually found by a hiker near Mammoth Lakes.

Not far from here is Huntington Lake, which was dammed a long time ago. In 1955 it was drained for maintenance, and to everyone's surprise a B24 missing since 1943 was found at the bottom. Ironically, they crashed while out looking for another lost B24, which was found in 1960, in Hester Lake, elevation 11,000+ feet.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
At the only crash site that I've been to � Mission Range, Montana, 1955 � the wreckage (including the bodies) was still smoking.

The pilot, the observer, and the tag-along had eaten lunch with us at the ranger station the day before. They'd finished their run but decided to go back up for another look-see.

On our way to the fire thst they'd reported, we had instead to handle the fire that their crash had started.

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Those were the first jet craft I was ever close to as a kid, so they've always had some appeal. Always wished I could have afforded one.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think that the first jet that I was ever close-to was the Grumman F-9 � no match for our latest fighters of course but far more beautiful! Especially to a young sailor who'd spent the war years drooling over pictures of P-40s, Spitfires, P-38s, P-51s, and their like.

"Good enough" isn't.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (160user, 1234, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 17Hunter, 72 invisible), 2,026 guests, and 1,166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,829
Posts18,496,629
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.