Print Thread
Hop To
S
Sponxx Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Hey guys, I am new here in this forum. I shoot a Savage 110 &mmRem Mag, that gives me very decent grouping with Winchester super X 150gr and 160gr Nosler Partitions from Federal. The latter are reeeeally expensive, and I have decided that I will probably start reloading. I have done a lot of research and red some stuff, and I will probably start with 140gr TSX or 150g Partitions for all around combo elk/deer/pronghorn.
I know I should get a single stage press, but cant make my mind on what other products I definitely need to start reloading. I would like suggestions on scales, priming tools and other basic needs... and were to start looking for them.
I dont know anyone who reloads, anyone want to help out?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Buy a manual, the Lyman is my favorite for a beginner but, Nosler, Hornady, and Speer offer good ones also. The books will offer tips and instruction on the various tooling you will need. Read the text and forget the data until you`ve a good understanding of the process. Loading isn`t hard but, you do need to know what you`re doing and why.
A search here should turn up lots of posts on what tools and brands a beginner needs to start. Keep in mind what you need and what you will want after you get started are two different things.
As for where to buy equipment, shop these to start, and compare prices for some good deals. Remember to include shipping. E-Bay and other auction houses have some deals on used equipment if you know what to look for also.
http://www.midwayusa.com/
www.grafs.com
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/
http://www.natchezss.com/
www.wideners.com
http://www.lockstock.com/

I must confess, I was born at a very early age. --Groucho Marx

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when they deserve it. --Mark Twain
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you're trying to not outlay too much cash, I'd just buy the Lee Anniversary kit, a digital scale, a powder trickler, and a die set. And voila! you're good to go for about $200-$250. Hopefully you've been keeping your brass. As for loads, a simple way is to pick up a load manual and go with either the most accurate load suggested or one of the higher velocity loads. Oh, and you'll want calipers to keep the overall length within spec. If you don't screw up you won't need a bullet puller, but you will, so you do. I like the collet style that mounts in you press, rather than a inertia style.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Ah yes, you're finding that it doesn't take too many boxes of ready rolled ammo to equal a reloading rig. Plus you'll end up with ammo tailored for your rifle. Plus much more shooting for the same dollar, ergo, you're a better shot.
Those 7mags can turn in some very satisfying accuracy.

Aim for the exit hole.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I second the Lyman basic Manual. It's what I started with years ago and I still reference it from time to time. It has a lot of great basic information and loads for most any calliber you could want.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Since you want to shoot Nosler and Barnes bullets, buy their reloading manuals. I'd also recomend a Hornady or Speer manual, based on whatever brand of less exspensive practice bullets you want to shoot.

Once you're read through those manuals you'll have an idea of what to get.

You can either get a kit of piece together what you want. Here's my list of start out with the best so you don't have to upgrade down the line:

Forster co-ax single stage press, (yes it's that much better to deserve what it costs)
Redding dies
Imperial sizing die wax (use very sparingly, little goes a long way)
Lee case trimmer (I power it with a drill press) and de-burr tool
Tumbler, my lymann works well enough
4" dial caliper, I like mitutoyo but the less expensive imports are servicable
RCBS hand primer
Redding BR-3 powder measure
Redding or RCBS mechanical powder scale (I would avoid the electronics as they seem to give everyone trouble and IMHO are a waste of money)

And lastly read the threads about folks loading for your caliber to see what bullets and powders are providing the best accuracy for most folks. Don't go by what folks list for their powder charges, but if you see many folks recomend a certain powder and bullet in the 7mag, odds are you'll find that combo to work for you once you work up the load your gun likes.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Everyone has given you great info.

I must also recommend the Lyman manual, read it front to back about 3 times before doing anything else. The other manuals recommended are great also - plus reloading data is available online at the bullet and powder manufacturers websites.

Don't overlube and don't overload.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
�Since you want to shoot Nosler and Barnes bullets, buy their reloading manuals. I'd also recommend a Hornady or Speer manual, based on whatever brand of less expensive practice bullets you want to shoot.�

+1� I agree with this statement and I believe it is very important to use the manual from the bullet manufacturer� after all they have a vested interest in performance.
IMHO you can�t get enough books� but I always defer to the bullet makers manuals.

I have a RCBS ChargeMaster 1500 digital scale and do recommend it to you.

I have had no problems with it and it is fast and efficient. That said, do get a set of check weights no matter what scale you get.

Also I agree you should get yourself as high end of equipment as you can afford� these things rarely wear out.

The basics are:
� Press
� Die
� Case Trimmer
� Calipers
� Case mouth deburr and chamfer
� Case lube ( I use RCBS Case Lube)
� A Case Lube pad
� A case neck brush
� I recommend a �off press priming tool�
� Bullets
� Cases
� Primers
� Powder
� Scale (As stated above I have and recommend a RCBS ChargeMaster 1500 digital scale)

There are many other tools you will end up getting but this is what I think you need to start

Last edited by temmi; 10/06/09.

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Yes, use a seperate priming tool (I believe a Lee Auto Prime is the best of the lot). They allow you to "feel" the primer seat into the primer pocket. Don't try to seat your primers with your reloading press.
FYI, food for thought: for the difference in price between one of the high dollar presses and one that does as good a job but cost considerably less, you could buy a case tumbler or a Chrony. smile

Aim for the exit hole.
S
Sponxx Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks for the replies... my plan was on getting the Lyman manual definitely and then specific bullet manufacturer books... the hardware needed, I wanted recommendatios, so I can keep an eye open for opportunities in ebay, craiglists, yardsales, etc, etc.
I have read some manuals and lots of threads on rleoading, not specific recipes, but suggestions, product reviews and seems like the more you read themore you realize you dont know squat (which I guess is good if you are going to be messing with powder right?).

I will keep posting my tribulations in here. Thanks!

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Some would have you believe if you blink twice, you're gonna end up with smoking shards of steel sticking out of your head. Reloading is no different than any other hobby. A degree of diligence and attention and prudence is required but I think you'd be in more peril operating a table saw for instant than reloading ammo. In both cases, its a matter of keeping you mind on the task at hand and don't try to rush the learning curve.
It sounds to me like you're off to a good start. smile

Aim for the exit hole.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
These kits are good starters.
http://www.natchezss.com/brand.cfm?...nge%20Crusher%20Expert%20Reloading%20Kit

Crusher II expert kit

Reloading Press, Universal priming arm, auto primer feed, primer arm, auto primer feed, primer catcher, Universal Trimmer with expanded Pilot Multi-Pack, M-500 Reloading Scale, #55 Powder Measure, deburring tool, case lube kit, powder funnel, Lyman Reloading Handbook, hex wrench, extra decapping pins, 7/8" x 14 adapter (mounts #55 Measure in Case press turret), complete setup instructions, Lyman's "Guide to Preparation" . On sale $270

or

http://www.natchezss.com/brand.cfm?...tle=Lyman%20Orange%20Crusher%20Pro%20Kit

Crusher II Pro Kit

The Orange Crusher Kit includes the Orange Crusher Press, the Model 505 Reloading Scale, Case Lube Kit, Loading Block, Powder Funnel, Primer Tray and the 47th Edition of the Lyman Reloading Handbook. On sale for $140

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I am also a new reloader and have just went through what you are starting.

Many things were bought here. Just post a want to buy with a list in the classifieds and be patient.
I even had some guys give me stuff just for the cost of shipping.
The biggest thing is getting out there and letting guys know you are just starting out. There is alot of stuff out there just sitting underneath benches.

Why buy new when used works just as well for pennies on the dollar?

Just for an idea here is what I bought used:
pacific press $20
lee .280 dies $25
Ohaus 505 scale $35
9mm dies $15
------------------
Lyman #55 measure
RCBS trickler
2 reloading manuals All for $80
Lyman case trimmer
56 pieces of brass
-------------------

RCBS trim mate with brushes and trimmers
Tumbler with media
RCBS 25-06 dies All for $80
Lee auto prime
Set of lee shellholders
-----------------------

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Always keep your dies clean. Always tumble your brass before reloading. Microscopic particles on range brass scratch the insides of resizing dies. These scratches are then transferred to the next case. Keep your reloading bench clean and covered when not in use.
When buying dies for straight-walled handgun rounds like .38/.357, 9mm, 40 S&W, buy dies with a carbide sizer only.
Never have more than one cannister of powder on your reloading bench.
Always label your reloaded ammo. Don't trust your memory.

Once your cases are charged, pick up the shell rack and look into each case to insure it is properly charged. Work with two racks. Empty cases on the left, charged cases on the right. With some rounds, like .44 Magnum, you can accidentally double charge the case without spillage. A double charge is easily noticeable both at the reloading bench and at the range in the form of shrapnel. A round without powder is nearly as dangerous as the primer can lodge the bullet in the barrel. Fire a succeeding round with a barrel obstruction and you'll need a new firearm.

Good luck. Reloading is safe, rewarding and lots of fun. Just follow established reloading procedures.

I agree with you that a single stage press is best for the beginning casual reloader. Although I have a Dillon 550, I actually prefer using my RCBS Rockchucker for loading rifle ammo as I have no need for mass-production.

The power to legislate is the power to destroy
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use a single stage press myself having started a little over a year ago, I'll probably never go to a progressive simply because I don't need to, my old RCBS "RS" press does a great job.
and I agree with federali, be extremely anal in your practices, keep everything segregated and labeled well. when in doubt throw it out. if a piece of brass looks a little different for some reason, toss it. no need to take chances. and before trying anything, bounce it off the guys here, you'll get a straight answer. and never be in a rush to load.
other than that enjoy the new addiction, its a ton of fun and you'll notice you can shoot way more for way less money, my reloading stuff has paid for itself and then some in the last year.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
... be extremely anal in your practices, keep everything segregated and labeled well.

+1. I'll add, keep track of your brass. I set a personal rule for myself as to how many times I'll load a piece of brass. If the brass is looking a little tired before its time, it ends up in the recycle bin. I track each lot along with load data.

Have fun.

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

232 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 19 invisible), 1,679 guests, and 985 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,998
Posts18,481,181
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.