Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tonk
However, in one's on home, with members of your family in other rooms, it just is NOT wise to use a shotgun with Buck-Shot or Slugs period. I don't give a Tinkers DAMN if I knock down the bad guy or guys and end up shooting through a wall and killing my own grandkids OK. Now just think about that before anyone posts a reply!!!

I won't fire towards a family member or their bedroom no matter what I'm using. A shotgun doesn't give me free reign. There will always be risks, but I know where everyone in my house should be and I know where the safe 'shooting lanes' are. That said, a firearm is just one option. I'm 6'-4" and 235-lbs with extensive boxing experience, basic judo training, and I've donated 13 teeth to the cause of learning how not to be a dumbazz. I keep a kid's baseball bat under the bed - the short length makes it easier to swing in tight places. If my loved ones' lives are on the line, it's the bad guy that needs to be worrying about a one-shot stop.

Sorry, I exposed a little inner ninja. smirk

I plan based on the ideal of having a relatively cool head when things go bad, and honestly judging my history gives some credence to that. There's absolutely no sense in planning for panic. I can happily live the rest of my life without finding out one way or the other.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tonk

Now yes a hammer will make a whole in a watermellon if one was to hit it hard enough. I don't know what that has to do with the effects of #6 shot on a watermellon but I do know that if your head gets hit square with 2 shots of a 12ga 3 inch shell, your NOT going to do anything but hit the ground 95% DEAD savvy.

The point is that shooting a watermelon has little to do with the effects of anything on anyone's head. I am not one to say that #6 is useless - but I won't agree it's the best choice. Mackay is right. There are no absolutes in this business we are discussing - except that, given a choice, I absolutely refuse to arm myself with something designed to kill birds for defense against humans.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FreeMe
I absolutely refuse to arm myself with something designed to kill birds for defense against humans.

And a crappy job my shotgun does on birds once in a while. I know I'm not missing. I never miss, just ask me...

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JOG
I absolutely refuse to arm myself with something designed to kill birds for defense against humans.

And a crappy job my shotgun does on birds once in a while. I know I'm not missing. I never miss, just ask me...

Well, y'know JOG - there's a hole in your pattern...right where that bird's head was. Damn that hole!

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well, y'know JOG - there's a hole in your pattern...

Hmmm. I never thought of that. That's a much simpler explanation than the ol' pheasant-phase-warping-interdimensional-space excuse I normally use.

Robert Frost
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JOG
Well, y'know JOG - there's a hole in your pattern...

Hmmm. I never thought of that. That's a much simpler explanation than the ol' pheasant-phase-warping-interdimensional-space excuse I normally use.

My ninja training learned me to never overlook the obvious. laugh

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Sheesh, I only got to go to the "Charlies Angels" training. Where do I sign up for the ninja school?

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ninja school is only available in the state of mind. cool

Robert Frost
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I prefer to have a hole in my target than the pattern. smile
The Devil made me post that! smile smile

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Sheesh, I only got to go to the "Charlies Angels" training. Where do I sign up for the ninja school?

Crap! (headslap) There's CHARLIE'S ANGELS TRAINING?!!! shocked cry

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image]

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
JOG....Sorry Pal! I never took that coarse called Ninja!!! I will only say that maybe I should have got you to give me lessons in the art of self defense, you being a boxer and all.

Yeah, birdshot does spread out a bunch when hunting quail at 25 yards but not at 10, 20 or 30 feet guys. It makes a nice 6-inch hole in a door at that range or less.

Hey JOG, I guess you must have been a contender hey? Well, one thing is for sure, YOU must have gotten hit a lot right, to loose 13 friggin teeth Ole Boy. I always seemed to do a very good job at avoiding the other guys fists.

Now tell me, did you ever make any MONEY with your expertise in Ninja? So much for Ninja's dressed in black, do they carry pistols as well?

Last edited by Tonk; 10/05/09.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Hamming it up in our best Charlies Angels pose:

[Linked Image]

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (10gaugemag, 219DW, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 1minute, 10Glocks, 70 invisible), 2,402 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,687
Posts18,513,529
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.