-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Gutless everytime. One other nice thing about it in certain corners of the Yellowstone region is that if you aren't saving the cape you don't have to skin anything and it can be very fast. With the exception of just enough to grab the straps and loins. With a guy holding and another cutting maybe a 1/2 hr, once the knife hits the critter. I did a cow elk by myself once in about 25 minutes. It's actually the backstraps and tender loins that take the time. With a sharp knife the front legs come off in less than a minute each, the back ones take me a little longer.

Last edited by Ralphie; 10/09/09.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Skinning definitely is what takes the time. I like to get it off to cool the meat, plus I'm not about to pack all that weight to the road. Hides are heavy. If you have a way to get it out with the hide on the quarters, it's much faster. However, it still has to be skinned sometime so I prefer to get it over with.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Bambistew
I guess I'm just not as experienced as the rest of you guys. Seems like everyone I talk to about this claims they can skin and bag an elk in less than an hour. For me its been no were near that quick, especially alone. The 15 min it takes to gut an animal saves me time in the end. Not to mention its easier to get the entire tenderloins out with out worring about splitting the ever expanding gut bag.

Maybe I'm just no good at the whole gutless thing.

We were fortunate to kill two moose within about half an hour of each other a few weeks ago. We decided the best thing to do was gut one and get it opened up and cooling, and go work on the second one. The second one we decided to go with the 'gutless' method, bagged and deboned at the same time. Start to finish was 4 hours with meat bagged and in the shade. The first moose we gutted was bagged and in the shade in 3 hours, add in the gutting time and we were still time ahead... That was also after packing a load of meat down to camp, and hiking a mile back up to the second bull. In other words we were 1/2 worn out before we even started.

No guts made moving it around 10x easier, and all in all the meat ended up cleaner. maybe we should have split the hide on the belly instead of the back on the gutless bull, but reguardless I'll never do another gutless.

Sounds like you are a minority of one, so far.

Now, I've only done 3 animals gutless- 2 moose (one in the dark and 6 inches of bog water, the other in 6 inches of morning-light bog-water) and a caribou that way, after helping (OTJT, as it were) do an elk and learning about it.

Your times seem about right for what I'd get- but then, I've done quite a few dozen animals by the old gut-first method. Betcha I get faster with the gutless method given the opportunity.... Robert-the guy doing my elk - sure didn't waste any time...

The gutless method on those two moose and the caribou gave us cleaner meat than usual(well worth the extra half hour, which is more than made up for in trimming time during processing), but probably requires two or more people to be really efficient on a large animal. Good leg holders/pullers/bag holders are a valuable resource, especially with the gutless method!

Good luck on always shooting your animals on dry, clean ground, too. smile

Should we ever be lucky enough to shoot two animals virtually at once, I'd do the same- gut one, to start immediate cooling, then gutless field dress the other...

You should see those NoSlope Eskimos work a caribou! My friend/mentor Henry once did a bull caribou I'd shot in 17 minutes, timed from the first slit to bloody pieces piled on the sled, at about 15 below...gutless method, with only a knife- first time I'd seen it, but somehow it didn't "take" with me at the time.

Last edited by las; 10/10/09.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

484 members (10gaugemag, 1badf350, 22kHornet, 160user, 19rabbit52, 06hunter59, 55 invisible), 16,034 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,906
Posts18,538,836
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
Yesterday at 04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.