-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
N
N
Just dialed-in my brand new Winchester M70 FWT in .30-06. So far I've determined that it doesn't like two things: (1) Federal Fusion ammo (165 gr. Hornady SST seems to have worked the best so far) and (2) a hot barrel. No kidding guys, if that thing's even remotely warm, you're probably going to get a stray round (by about 1-2 MOA).

Has anyone shot better groups (i.e. sub 0.65") with 150 gr. rounds? If so, what type?

Attached Images
165 gr. Hornady SST - For Posting.jpg (34.67 KB, 5815 downloads)
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by NvyLwyr
Just dialed-in my brand new Winchester M70 FWT in .30-06. So far I've determined that it doesn't like two things: (1) Federal Fusion ammo (165 gr. Hornady SST seems to have worked the best so far) and (2) a hot barrel. No kidding guys, if that thing's even remotely warm, you're probably going to get a stray round (by about 1-2 MOA).

Has anyone shot better groups (i.e. sub 0.65") with 150 gr. rounds? If so, what type?

Welcome to the Campfire! That may be true of your rifle but has not been true of mine;but thanks for the general advise,and example of one...especially from a brand new tube.....pretty hard to predict the behaviour of an entire model line based on one sample,dontcha think? smile

Last edited by BobinNH; 10/17/09.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
N
N
Thanks for the welcome. When you wrote, "[that] has not been true of mine," what aspect of my post were you referring to specifically? (1) The tight shot group with 165gr. Hornady SSTs, (2) comparatively poor shot groups with 165gr. Federal Fusions or (3) the fact that rounds wander a bit when the barrel is hot?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Nvy: The third shot business;many factory barrels will throw a third shot from heat.Not unusual at all.Those are pretty light contours for a 30 caliber magnum of any type.My 270 FW does not throw shots one to two minutes out when it heats;shots 3 and 4 stay in the group.Also, barrel heat may not be the issue.The 300 WSM we shot(like yours),loved the Fusion ammo,but shot as you described with other factory ammo....just the way it goes....

Besides, based on that group with the hornady bullets,it looks like your rifle is shooting fine.I don't expect one hole accuracy from a light sporter with factory barrel and tuning and chambered for a powerful cartridge like a 300 magnum;nice if you can get it,but not really likely.

There are lots of other things that cause "flyers"besides barrel heat.

Yours seem to like the Hornady;shoot it again but after three shots,shoot another 2-3,and watch how it groups.Do you handload?

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
C
CP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Dan, does your follower have a shallow angled grove on its left side? CP.

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by NvyLwyr

First of all many LIGHTWEIGHT barrels throw shots after they heat up..

Factory or not.

It's hard to get a contour much lighter than a Winchester featherweight.

I think your rifle shoots dam good for a barrel that light with a .30 cal hole in the middle.

Having said that, have you checked the barrel bedding? Make SURE it is fully floated. Run two new dollar bills down the channel between the barrel and the forend. Check and make sure no nibs of finish and sawdust etc are touching the tube.

When a lightweight barrel like that gets hot and expands, anything touching the barrel can cause funny things to happen..

Last edited by jim62; 10/18/09.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a new FN Model 70 Super Deluxe scoped with a Leopold MM V11. To date I have run about 25 three round test groups through it. I have tested the 140 gr. Horn sp, 130 Swift A frame, and the 130 Nosler Partition with 56 to 59 grs. of H-4831 SC. Group are averaging between 1 1/4 and 1 1/2". I have had only one 1" and one 2" group. Pretty disapointing for a rifle that is factory bedded at the recoil lug and tang.
I don't think it is me because I can take my Remington Sendero 7MM STW and put a cold shot between any three shots I have fired with the FN Model 70.

Will try R-22 with the same bullets and Sierra next.

Tack

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have just bought a M70 Super Grade in 30-06. Shoots extremely well. Shot 4 x 3 shot group at 100m with charges incrementally increasing by 1gr and all groups were 3/4 inch or less. Bullet was Sierra 180gr & powder H4350/AR2209. Fit & finish excellent. By no means a lightweight though at just on 9lbs with leup 2.5 - 8 and Talley steel rings & bases. That scope really could be 1/4 inch longer though and be better for it.

I would have been one of the people condemning the use of the new style trigger but by golly its awful nice. Very very crisp but perhaps the weight is a bit on the heavy side. Have not adjusted at all as I have not had action out of the stock as yet.

One of the "bargain" buy IMHO.

Oh, nearly forgot did not do the barrel break in thing either. Just sighted in & shot groups. Fired 16 shots total - cleaned with MP7 then wipeout & left overnight. Hardly any copper fouling evident. The barrel is pretty slick. Another +.

regards
JohnT

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought a new Super grade in .270 WSM. Every thing about the rifle was first class. Function was flawless. Accuracy was terrible.Average groups were between 1.5 and 3 inches at 100 yds.After nearly 150 rounds it was a bust . I dumped it and bought the same caliber in a Browning Medallion. Had no trouble getting 1/2"to 1" groups with 3 -4 powders and bullets. Not as pretty but it sure does shoot tighter.

Tack

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I am looking very seriously at a new Sporter in .338

A lion does not concern himself with the opinions of the sheep.
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
This is an old thread, but I think you'll love the sporter in 338. I've got a fwt in 308 and a sporter in 30-06 and they both shoot lights out (although I have to clarify the sporter is a newhaven gun not the new fn made sc gun).

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I bought a Safari model .375 in January and initially tried the 250 Sierra with both Re15 and Big Game; either load would put 3 shots inside one inch or 10 shots inside two inches. Very pleased.

Greg P

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Word on the street is FN finally got it right.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I bought my fourth one on Sunday, an Extreme Weather .30-06. I expect this one will shoot as well as the other three, which all will do sub-MOA with multiple loads. My .300 WSM Featherweight is especially consitent and will shoot most loads sub-moa or better and to about the same point of impact.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
I bought my fourth one on Sunday, an Extreme Weather .30-06. I expect this one will shoot as well as the other three, which all will do sub-MOA with multiple loads. My .300 WSM Featherweight is especially consitent and will shoot most loads sub-moa or better and to about the same point of impact.

Now your just rubbing it in mad

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by plafleur
Have any of you guys shot the new model 70? If so,How was the accuaracy? And what model and caliber was it? I'm really wanting a Supergrade in 300WSM or 30-06. Thanks for any info.

I hate to answer some of this stuff... cause I am not a Writer...

My son has a 30-06 and it is dead on.

The only rifle we have that did not get a trigger job or bedded (cause he was stubborn).

Just out of the box and he put on my 10 year old OLD Leupold scope (cause he was cheap) and off he went.

I am normally a Rem 700 guy� but this was very nice

Last edited by temmi; 05/03/11. Reason: cause he was cheap

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Mine should be coming tomorrow. I ordered a FW in 7mm-08. I always liked the looks of the FW and have been intrigued by 7mm-08 as well. Never owned either so I'm a virgin on both counts. I'm so excited, I feel like it's the night before prom night wink

Scott
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Guys, will you permit me to write about my new, New Haven M 70?

If you won't, I won't write it. >G

In '08 I wanted to get another M 70 since I hadn't had one in too long. Win. being in/out of business 3xs at least in recent decades was part of my desire to get another 70. The caliber didn't matter except for 1 that I didn't and don't want. (personal choice)

I found a New Haven 70 Winlite in 300 W M. Having had several 300s in the past, I was glad to have another.

It had an EL CHEAPO 3-9 scope on it, retails for $40.00 To my SHOCK n SURPRISE that scope hasn't missed a lick.

I didn't buy the gun as a real shooter or hunter, so I bought some CHEAP fed. fact 180s. They shot fantastic in that New Haven Winlite. I liked the gun so well & I had not INTENDED to load ammo for it, I bought 2 more boxes of the same lot.

WELLLL in '09 I got the loading supplies I didn't have. This New Haven M 70 Winlite shoots as well as any rifle I've had and better than some.

Being synthetic stocked & light, it's a pleasure to hunt. You CARRY your rifle more than you shoot it, hunting.

SWAMPY's going to 'like' this. I've had NO problems with that factory ammo OR my handloads. So far I've only loaded 180s at 3100 fps but using different BULLETS I could hunt anything in North America. (c-c, N P, TSX, A frames, etc.)

MAYBE being syn. stock or whatever, MOST hunters would be satisfied with THIS New Haven M 70.

I'm sorry if you feel I hijacked the thread.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I was under the impression that Winchester is now owned by browning. Is this true? Maybe the reason for the exceptional accuracy?

Anyways....I'm going to get one in 270 FWT real soon. Nice to see all the positive reviews.

Shod

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought a FW 22-250. Very accurate rifle out of the box.

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." -Theodore Roosevelt
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

242 members (1minute, 204guy, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 16penny, 257_X_50, 1beaver_shooter, 31 invisible), 2,242 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,113
Posts18,483,446
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.