Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I wonder if the person who came up with the idea of
bottled drinking water is still making money.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The fellow who came-uo with the waxed-paper carton for milk and other liquids became very wealthy on a very small per-unit royalty.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SU35
I can't prove it. But it's my best guess that
Rick Jamison posted here as "Wisegezzer".

Nope, Wisegeezer is another gun writer who writes very regularly nowadays.

--Bob

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus

But they're making a movie about the guy that Ford did the same thing to on intermittent wipers. shocked

Yes, Ford paid a bundle for the intermittent windshield wiper infringement, but the inventor never worked again. Such is life and a good parallel to Jamison.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by BullShooter
Originally Posted by SU35
I can't prove it. But it's my best guess that
Rick Jamison posted here as "Wisegezzer".

Nope, Wisegeezer is another gun writer who writes very regularly nowadays.

--Bob

Care to offer a hint of who?

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by djs
Care to offer a hint of who?

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/495297

P
pjf Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
In the case of John R. Jamison versus Olin Corporation, Winchester Division; U.S. Repeating Arms Co., Inc.; Browning; Browning Arms Co.; and G.I. Joe's Inc., the U.S. District Court in Oregon rendered a judgment in 28-Sept-2005:

http://www.websupp.org/data/DOR/3:03-cv-01036-525-DOR.pdf

It's an interesting story. Jamison claims that there was an agreement to develop a Jamison-Ruger-Winchester (JRW) cartridge and to announce the "300 JRW" at a hunt in Texas on 22-February-1999. Olin wanted Jamison to agree to no royalties. Jamison withdrew from the hunt but unfortunately did not object to the hunt proceeding without him. Writers were asked not to write about the cartridge and the JRW Project was later terminated after failed negotiations. In September 2000 and at the 2001 Shot Show, Olin and Browning announced the 300 WSM which Jamison claims is a "JRW-type" cartridge.

The court's mixed ruling of 28-September-2005 is: "Browning Defendants� Motion for Partial Summary Judgment on Quasi-Contract Claim (#295) is granted in part and denied in part. Olin�s Motion for Summary Judgment on Counts 3 Through 8 (#328) is granted in part and denied in part. In addition, I allow plaintiff to voluntarily dismiss without prejudice Counts 7 and 8 of plaintiff�s Consolidated Second Amended Complaint (#418)."

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The thing is, R.J. may be a prince or a cad, but he apparently had his ducks in order in regards to his lawsuite. Meaning a major organization with lawyers out the wazoo were unable to disprove his claim, or to put it in another way, he proved his claim over the arguments of corporate lawyers.

Which means he must have documented his claims very well. If gunsmiths and shooters before had already invented whatever he claims to have invented, surely his claim would not have been upheld in court.

Basic fact is, he won. The case wasn't decided around a campfire or by a group of fans, it was settled with mountains of evidence and the weight and preponderance of that evidence.

As to why he's not writing, I guess it is payback, but I'm not sure to whom, since Winchester is out of business. Likely it's also influenced by the dozens of writers of R.J.'s ability waiting in the wings, and he's simply not necessary to any particular gunwriting task.

I also think that shooters who shoot WSMs are probably paying James for every round they put downrage.

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
So maybe Rick Jamison is responsible for Winchester going out of business

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I thought they came up with new rounds to sell more guns. In Keiths books he mentioned several business deals where he came up short. I knew Bill Tilden the old Dever gunsmith. He got a dollar per M70 for his trigger improvement. When Redfield took over the Tilden mounts and rings he got a piece of the action.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I also think that shooters who shoot WSMs are probably paying James for every round they put downrage."

You think? smile Absolutely they are, and so it seems the industry seemed to go in different directions to avoid royalties IMO.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Gene L
The thing is, R.J. may be a prince or a cad, but he apparently had his ducks in order in regards to his lawsuite. Meaning a major organization with lawyers out the wazoo were unable to disprove his claim, or to put it in another way, he proved his claim over the arguments of corporate lawyers.

Which means he must have documented his claims very well. If gunsmiths and shooters before had already invented whatever he claims to have invented, surely his claim would not have been upheld in court.

Basic fact is, he won. The case wasn't decided around a campfire or by a group of fans, it was settled with mountains of evidence and the weight and preponderance of that evidence.

As to why he's not writing, I guess it is payback, but I'm not sure to whom, since Winchester is out of business. Likely it's also influenced by the dozens of writers of R.J.'s ability waiting in the wings, and he's simply not necessary to any particular gunwriting task.

I also think that shooters who shoot WSMs are probably paying James for every round they put downrage.

I agree with everything in your post EXCEPT the "Winchester going out of Business" part..

WRONG.

Winchester NEVER went out of business. USRAC did.. Big difference.

Read the legal briefs.. Jameson sued OLIN/WINCHESTER- the AMMUNITION COMPANY- NOT U.S.REPEATING ARMS- which is the actual company that ceased making guns in New Haven in 2006.

USRAC merely made guns under license and marked them Winchester.. They NEVER were "Winchester" itself..

They had NOTHING to do with Rick Jameson's lawsuit. His beef was with OLIN/Winchester -the ammunition company and holder of the origional trademarks.

It sure as heck does not seem to have phased them much.. They are making more different types of WSM loads now then they were at the time of the settlement and many companies(including FN which now makes the Model 70s) continues to chamber rifle for several of the rounds..

And, here is something no one has mentioned.. How do we know Jameson did not QUIT writing on his own? Would you continue to work your current job if you'd recently won the lottery? He married a rich gal and won a lawsuit with Winchester..I bet that was close enough.

Maybe he was done with writing dry, detailed technical peices for Shooting Times anyway??

Last edited by jim62; 10/12/09.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
a couple things stick out to me,

RJ must have had a very good patent attorney write his patent, this is the real secret to how well a patent can be enforced, you want to make it as broad and all encompassing as possible, it sounds like this is what they did and this is what they were granted in the patent.

the other in regards to why you don't see his articles, let me ask you this, how many of the gun rags don't have an ad in them from winchester or winchester ammo/olin, thats right NONE, all of the gun rags feature and ad from one or both companies in every edition. what does this mean, it means that if one of these companies see and article that is written by RJ, they make a call to the magazine and say something to the effect of ummmmm...........we don't like you publishing and RJ article, how about we pull our 25k ad in next months edition. get the picture?? this is how something like this plays out, its also why you don't see many articles trashing a brand or a new brands new offering.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
There's better things to do, it's elk season.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
P
pjf Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
We still don't know how much Jamison, the plaintiff, won or settled for. The U.S. District Court in Oregon made this ruling regarding one of his claims:

��plaintiff�s quasi-contract claim against defendants is not an attempt to obtain �civil remedies for misappropriation of a trade secret.� ORS 646.473(1). Plaintiff�s quasi contract claim is accordingly limited to restitution for the use of materials, equipment, facilities, and his paid assistant.� (http://www.websupp.org/data/DOR/3:03-cv-01036-525-DOR.pdf)

This looks more like a breach of promise case than a patent infringement case. Are there any lawyers amongst us?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Jericho
I wonder if the person who came up with the idea of
bottled drinking water is still making money.

Probably drowning in it. smile

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So good to hear the straight skinny from an insider who really knows how things work deep down in the guts of the operation!

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1234, 51 invisible), 3,147 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,670
Posts18,534,157
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.