Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Great pics! Congrats on a fine hunt.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by elkhunter76
Great story guys! Did you get the ivories out of that dead elk?

No, but the ranch hand plans to go back for the antlers and I imagine he will get the ivories. I tried to check to see if they were still in his mouth, mainly to see if a human had been there before us. But his hide was so stiff it would have required some cutting or more handling of the rotting carcase than I wanted to do, and we didn't take the time. We walked in the dark to get out of there as it was.

Waders Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Okanagan
One further gear tidbit: the knee pads someone here on the Campfire suggested were a fabulous addition to my stalking ensemble. They are so easy to wear and practical for any need to get a knee on the ground that from now on I will have a pair in my hunting pack always, for deer, predators, everything.

Yeah, the kneepads were great--especially in an area with a lot of cactus! I will definitely put mine to good use in the future!

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice going guys!!! Nice photos and story too!

Too many people buy stuff they don't want, with money they don't have, to impress people they don't like!
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Very cool man. Bigger antelope than I've ever killed...

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
cool hunt, Wade!!! great pics and story... truck is loaded and i'm heading out for the job.... enjoy your next few days!!!

"Chances Will Be Taken"

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Waders,

What kind of blacktail calls are you using, and how do you use them (enquiring minds & etc.)?...thanks...jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Wade, great hunt.

What bullets did you use in your .25-06?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great story and nice photos too! It's good when a plan comes together and you get good memories out to boot.

One question though, on the wasp hunt were you killin' or capin' in the photo by the fridge? wink

B.I.C.
'tikka
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by wannatikka
Great story and nice photos too! It's good when a plan comes together and you get good memories out to boot.

One question though, on the wasp hunt were you killin' or capin' in the photo by the fridge? wink

I think he was measuring stingers for the record book. wink

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Waders-Ok - good job and looks like a blast!

Did the wind blow in Wyoming? wink

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Troy, make sure you take the horn "sheaths" off the skulls before applying the beatles. The beatles like them a LOT more than they do the meat. Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bwinters

Did the wind blow in Wyoming? wink

laugh Actually we didn't have all that much wind. It was breezy to medium wind most of the time but nothing too bad during the day while we hunted, though one night I thought it was going to blow the roof off the cabin for a little while. I've seen it windy and am glad that we were spared the worst of it.

When we drove out of the ranch yard to start home, it was snowing sideways in strong wind at 19 degrees F. with about four inches already on the ground. Time for us to get out of Dodge. We shot our antelope in the two best windows of good weather that week.

Flinch, thanks for the tip. Troy is up to speed on that and already told us that he will have to remove the horns from the core to keep the beetles from eating them during the skull cleaning.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Are you guys talking about some particular type/brand of knee pads, or just any?

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
For myself, I just have some generic knee pads. Mine have a plastic cap that protects the patella (knee cap). Just about anything with 1/2 thick foam on the knees would probably work just fine. The cactus spines that I've encountered have been about an inch long really thin and brittle. They don't seem to penetrate a lot but they hurt like hell when they do and they are hard to see both on the ground and imbedded in your knee or palm. And, having one stuck in the joint of your trigger finger makes it absolutely impossible to fire the rifle no matter how big the buck or how much you want to. TRUST ME!

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

304 members (1minute, 204guy, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 41 invisible), 2,451 guests, and 1,330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,428
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.