Originally Posted by HammerTimeBagley

This will solve all of your problems:

In the Timber or Small Potholes - Use #2 or smaller Steel or #4-6 Hevi-shot with a Modified or Improved Choke

Fields or Open Water - Use #2 or larger Steel or #4 or larger Hevi + Full choke

If you shoot em in the head under 60 yards - it usually don't matter what size it is.

I'm ready to bust some ducks - this weekend.

I agree, close or far, steel 2�s are an excellent choice for lager game birds such as mallard or pintail.

For ranges under 40 yards I usually use a 1-1/8 ounce load of steel 4�s or 3�s with a modified (0.020� constriction) choke when hunting these big birds. If I know I�m going to be stretching the shot out to 50 or 60 yards I move straight up to a 1-1/4 ounce or 1-3/8 ounce load of 2�s and an Improved Modified (0.025� constriction) or Full (0.030� constriction) choke. I do not use larger pellet sizes such as 1�s or BB�s as I find that patterns become too thin to be of any use at extended ranges.

Teal sized birds are a different scenario and require greater pattern density than the 2�s have to offer at ranges over 40 yards. I usually use 1-1/4 ounce or 1-3/8 ounce load of 4�s or 3�s.depending on range. Out to 50 yards the 4�s work fine and the 3�s have proven effective out to 60 yards. At these extreme ranges I generally use either a Full or Extra Full (0.040� constriction) choke.