-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I did a search before I posted this but didn't get any results.

I'm looking for input on whether the Intensity optics scopes are decent scopes. I realize there are many scopes that are probably much better, but with the prices these scopes are available for, I'm interested in their reputation.

I've been thinking about their 3.8 X 12 X 44. This scope would be used on a light recoiling rifle and used for critter shooting out to 300 yds.

I an curious about their clarity, but even more concerned with correctly?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Scott

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Some of them are repackaged Aetec and the rest are the 44 magnum series. You should be able to see which grade you are getting by the price. I have a 6.5x20 on a 22-250AI and it is holding up well and tracking fine. The optics are what you would expect from this line.

Opticstalk.com has some info on this line.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the info, sambubba. Checked out some of the chat on opticstalk.com and it's about what I figured I would see. Not a whole lot of info on them, but not really any complaints. Looks like the consensus is that they are decent scopes at what are currently great prices.

I appreciate the help.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by sambubba
Some of them are repackaged Aetec and the rest are the 44 magnum series. You should be able to see which grade you are getting by the price. I have a 6.5x20 on a 22-250AI and it is holding up well and tracking fine. The optics are what you would expect from this line.

Actually that's NOT true..The Intensity scopes are not merely "repackaged" Simmons.

I own both.

While the specs of the scopes are similar and they are made in the same Philipino plant that built the old Simmons scopes, they ARE different The oucular and objective bells are a different contour(convex rather than staight taper) are a different shape as well that the knurling on the power ring etc.

So , if they went to the trouble and expense to change those things, there are most likley other changes as well..

They may be "cousins" but they are surely NOT the same scopes..

Last edited by jim62; 10/14/09.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
The scopes are made in the same factory as the Nikon scopes, old Simmons scopes, and the current Weaver "40/44" series.

I've read that if the scope fails, and you return it to ATK (Weaver), you get a Weaver 40/44 as a replacement. If you look at the Weaver site, you'll see that most of the specs are the same for these scopes and the Weaver 40/44's. The only major diiference is that the Weavers have a one-piece tube.

Check the prices on the new Weavers($125-$175). Then check the prices on the Intensity scopes at Sportsman's Guide ($50-$80). You're getting a $150 scope for $50.

No, these aren't a Leupold or Swarovski. They ARE just as good as a Nikon Pro-Staff (for 1/3 the price), however.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I got one for a light-recoiling rimfire or varmint rifle. The clarity is actually very good. I have not used it extensively, but for the price you can get these at Sportsmansguide.com, it is hard to go wrong. I just woudn't expet it tohold up on a hard-kicking rifle. They are advertised as made by Weaver for Federal. Maybe stretching the truth, other than built in the same factory? Doesn't the same parent company own Weaver, Simmons and Federal?

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jim62
Originally Posted by sambubba

Actually that's NOT true..The Intensity scopes are not merely "repackaged" Simmons.

I own both.

While the specs of the scopes are similar and they are made in the same Philipino plant that built the old Simmons scopes, they ARE different The oucular and objective bells are a different contour(convex rather than staight taper) are a different shape as well that the knurling on the power ring etc.

So , if they went to the trouble and expense to change those things, there are most likley other changes as well..

They may be "cousins" but they are surely NOT the same scopes..

jim62, what do you think of your Intensity scope? Thinking about it for my new .22 Hornet. If I like it, I'll keep it on there, if not I'll try another scope. Right now price is a big deal for me. I'm not expecting top notch optics, just a decent scope with decent optics and decent adjustments.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I think they were actually made for ATK. ATK had sold the Weaver name to Meade Optics. Then, for some reason almost immediately after doing this, they(ATK) decided to get in the optics game again. They came out with Nitrex (higher end) scopes and Intensity (low-medium price range).

THEN, they bought the Weaver name back from Meade. Apparently, they see no reason to sell scopes that compete with the Weavers, so they are discontinuing the Intensity Scopes.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
For a 22 Hornet, these should be just fine. I have 3 of the 6.5-20's and one of the 4-12's.

I can't imagine you finding another new scope for less than $100 that would compare with these.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I agree that overall it would be hard to find a better scope for the $$$.

I have the 4x12 44mm and one of the 6-20x scopes.

They both are great optically- as goods as the old 44 mags and the ATV.

I don't see any reason why they would not be fine on any small bore rifle.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Quite a few people on rimfirecentral use/like them, supposed to be a pretty decent scope on something low in recoil. Not much eye relief and it's pretty critical are some things I've read.

Life is just one damned thing after another
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I guess that settles it. I did a little research, got some good input from some campfire members which I appreciate, thanks guys. Gonna' order one up!

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have a 6.5x20 on a bull barrel .22-250 and a 3.5x12 on a standard .25-06. They're good, basic, no frills scopes.

I tend to mount pedestrian scopes on my rifles. But I ALWAYS use primo binos and spotters. Cuz, when using optics, I only use the rifle scope <1% of the time.

I was hoarding when hoarding wasn't cool.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks, Dawaba. I appreciate all input on this.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (1badf350, 160user, 1minute, 1Longbow, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 60 invisible), 2,366 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,182
Posts18,503,266
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.