Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
the lock should be colorcase hardened. Sometimes though i will sand off that finish and give it an aged steel look or a worn off brown look. Thats really up to you. The trigger guard/buttplate can either be blued * as can be the barrel* or browned, hell even the steel can be polished to where it looks like silver/chrome!! I prefer browned furniture.

Deercreek will have the thimble: They more than likely will come in regular steel color so you'll need to get some birchwood casey brown. Pretty simple stuff to use.

Give them a call, they will hook you up with all the parts you need, including a new ramrod.

Deer Creek Products
P.O. BOX 246
Waldrun, IN, 46182

Phone # 765-525-6181
FAX # 765-525-9595

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Yeah I like the look of the browned barrel, gives a more antiqued look to the rifle. Thanks for the contact info for Deer Creek, I appreciate it!

Craig R. Collier
~Grizzly Custom Knives~
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
On that picture you showed me, did you brown the buttplate and trigger guard or were they left raw?

Craig R. Collier
~Grizzly Custom Knives~
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
both rifles have browned buttplates and trigger guards.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks alot, you recommended the Birch Casey browning finish. Is it pretty easy to use?

Craig R. Collier
~Grizzly Custom Knives~
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
yep, birchwood casey plumb brown. You simple use a hand held propane torch, heat the parts until water will sizzle and then use a cotton ball * the type of a holding stick attached to it) Soak it into the solution and then wipe it across the hot parts. It will sizzle and smoke up the place, giving off a foul odor. So do it somewhere where the wife/girl friend cant kick your ass LOL. You just repeat the process until its even and you get the color you like.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
LOL you talk like you have experience in having your girl not like it smile

Thanks for your help so far, I really appreciate it.

Craig R. Collier
~Grizzly Custom Knives~
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
no problem at all. i love those mountain rifles. Some of the best shooting rifles ive ever owned and built solid too!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Whats a good powder to use in these older guns? When I hunted with it years ago I used Pyrodex; and thats the last muzzleloader hunting I did. I'm WAY behind on powders, bullets, and all that.

Craig R. Collier
~Grizzly Custom Knives~
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Pyrodex RS or real black powder. I see you joined my crew, thats great, it will be great to have another sidelock shooter! We'll get you all set up with loads for that rifle.

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Sweet. Yeah I've got this one that I'm refinishing and I'm about to order a Traditions Pursuit XLT from the Traditions' website through their Pre Season Inline Blow out.

Traditions Persuit XLT

It's a heck of a deal from what I've read and in my price range too. I got a chance to throw one up to my shoulder at Gander MT and I love the thumbhole stock, it fits me perfectly!

Craig R. Collier
~Grizzly Custom Knives~
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
My son and I both have the mountian Rifle in both 50&54 cal. great rifle. If your ever down in Oregon check out Sringfield gun works in Spingfield thay have a smith who is top notch and anything you could ever need.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I would love to go out west one of these days and go elk hunting, I've been wanting to do it for years!

Craig R. Collier
~Grizzly Custom Knives~
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
One last question for now, does the barrel have to have the old finish removed 100% or can it be browned over once I sand out the nicks and scratches?

Craig R. Collier
~Grizzly Custom Knives~
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
you can leave it and just go right over the old finish with the new.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Ok, so, I got the stock stripped today and now it just needs to be finished with sand paper.

I got all the metal parts cleaned up and polished. Trying to decide if I want to brown the trigger guard and butt plate or just keep it raw.

Got the barrel all ready (nicks filed down and cleaned). The nipple is seized up pretty good. Now, before I get to wrenching on it pretty hard are the threads reversed or are they normal??

Craig R. Collier
~Grizzly Custom Knives~
AJD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have one of those rifles I did from a "kit". It was back in the 70's if I remember correctly. It had a 32" barrel as I remember. I still have it back in the safe somewhere. It was a great shooter, 50 cal. I did the stock (maple I beleive)in Lindseed oil. Came out great.

AJD

There is no accounting for taste.

Experience is a great thing as long as one survives it.

Generally, there ain't a lot that separates the two however,
Barely making it is a whole lot more satisfying than barely not making it.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
This stock looks amazing, when my fiance gets back Ill try to snap some good pics of it. I did it with the Tru Oil finishing kit with Walnut stain.

Craig R. Collier
~Grizzly Custom Knives~
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
righty tighty, lefty loosey.

Boiling hot water should help loosen up that nipple.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I got the nipple out, it just took the right tool, I had to find a wrench that would fit the nipple properly. If I were to want to buy a new nipple, what would I look for? Would Dixie Gun Works have them?

Another quick question. Before I disassembled the gun, I noticed that the one wedge key I have is kind of loose. We had it pressed into place with a piece of cloth to hold it. I want to order a new set of wedges but I want them to be tight fitting. Is there a way to fix those openings to make them tighter?

Craig R. Collier
~Grizzly Custom Knives~
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

450 members (2500HD, 1badf350, 160user, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 1lesfox, 42 invisible), 2,124 guests, and 1,107 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,090
Posts18,501,882
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.