Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Ivan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
NEW ORLEANS � A Louisiana justice of the peace said he refused to issue a marriage license to an interracial couple out of concern for any children the couple might have. Keith Bardwell, justice of the peace in Tangipahoa Parish, says it is his experience that most interracial marriages do not last long.

"I'm not a racist. I just don't believe in mixing the races that way," Bardwell told the Associated Press on Thursday. "I have piles and piles of black friends. They come to my home, I marry them, they use my bathroom. I treat them just like everyone else."

Bardwell said he asks everyone who calls about marriage if they are a mixed race couple. If they are, he does not marry them, he said.

Bardwell said he has discussed the topic with blacks and whites, along with witnessing some interracial marriages. He came to the conclusion that most of black society does not readily accept offspring of such relationships, and neither does white society, he said.

"There is a problem with both groups accepting a child from such a marriage," Bardwell said. "I think those children suffer and I won't help put them through it."

If he did an interracial marriage for one couple, he must do the same for all, he said.

"I try to treat everyone equally," he said.

Bardwell estimates that he has refused to marry about four couples during his career, all in the past 2 1/2 years.

Beth Humphrey, 30, and 32-year-old Terence McKay, both of Hammond, say they will consult the U.S. Justice Department about filing a discrimination complaint.

Humphrey, an account manager for a marketing firm, said she and McKay, a welder, just returned to Louisiana. She plans to enroll in the University of New Orleans to pursue a masters degree in minority politics.

"That was one thing that made this so unbelievable," she said. "It's not something you expect in this day and age."

Humphrey said she called Bardwell on Oct. 6 to inquire about getting a marriage license signed. She says Bardwell's wife told her that Bardwell will not sign marriage licenses for interracial couples. Bardwell suggested the couple go to another justice of the peace in the parish who agreed to marry them.

"We are looking forward to having children," Humphrey said. "And all our friends and co-workers have been very supportive. Except for this, we're typical happy newlyweds."

"It is really astonishing and disappointing to see this come up in 2009," said American Civil Liberties Union of Louisiana attorney Katie Schwartzmann. "The Supreme Court ruled as far back as 1963 that the government cannot tell people who they can and cannot marry."

The ACLU sent a letter to the Louisiana Judiciary Committee, which oversees the state justices of the peace, asking them to investigate Bardwell and recommending "the most severe sanctions available, because such blatant bigotry poses a substantial threat of serious harm to the administration of justice."

"He knew he was breaking the law, but continued to do it," Schwartzmann said.

full story at:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jy_z-Zo4fvJEf2TK1LCiiPIe9NDwD9BBPMH00

Last edited by Ivan; 10/15/09.

"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What???

Something else to embarrass the South.

JM.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Next week's story will read "former justice of the peace"

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He did em a favor.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think a certain judge is getting a call from the NAACP and the ACLU right about now, and if Jesse and Al are done testifying about Rush being unfit to own a ball team they should be chiming in too. I hate when things like this happen because it gives everybody a chance to let the truly stupid ones among us speak.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
IC B2

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Anti-miscegenation laws were shot down (rightfully) with Loving v. Virginia, circa 1967.

That JoP is at is almost 50 years behind the times.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
So much for free choice. Is he the only one in the parrish?

MAGA
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Guess I'll be the first to play the devil's advocate here, but while you can argue that he's a bigot and he's making a ruling against the times, as well as the law, is he really incorrect about his reasoning?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
What???

JM.
No kidding; what an idiot.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by triggerguard1
is he really incorrect about his reasoning?
In today's day and age; yes. 20 years ago, he had a point (would still be in the wrong, but at least had a point).

IC B3

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
If they would have just asked to use his bathroom......

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good thing they can't have children without the license. Otherwise it would just be window dressing fer racism.

<<<<<<<<<<<SPACE FOR RENT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
No kidding. Thankfully it wasn't 20 years ago for the white lesbian couple I saw on TV the other day that decided they wanted a family and one of them was artificially inseminated with the sperm from their gay black friend.

Good thing we are making progress, else folks like that would never be able to give a child a loving home.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
What???

JM.

Apparently they didn't think you where doing an adequate job. smile

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
Originally Posted by triggerguard1
is he really incorrect about his reasoning?
In today's day and age; yes. 20 years ago, he had a point (would still be in the wrong, but at least had a point).

So in that, I'm assuming this day and age children of mixed race, especially white and black, are not discriminated against and would and will likely have a happy and healthy childhood?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
well, obviously this douchebag will be an ex-JP in about 24 hours....BTW there are no education requirements to be a JP in Louisiana, they're just elected by very small districts, so if the dumbasses in Tangipahoa parish elected this idiot, shame on them.

if those folks really want to get married, there's plenty of other JPs they can go to in the parish.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
A fairly large proportion of Canadians have some native blood - including my son, (at full half) so I guess this justice is basing his experiences of marital success - or the lack thereof, on his own statistics.

Then again - I'm not married to my son's mother any more. whistle

Although I would suggest that had more to do with her character (or lack of) - than the colour of her skin.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Around here... no problem with mixed race kids in general.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I suspect we have a law suit coming.

Question. Why do we refer to some legal actions as "law suits"? A suit is what I wear to work. Is it a "law suit" because it fits all over you?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Around here... no problem with mixed race kids in general.

Around here, it's still a problem and not likely to go away anytime soon. Knowing what I've heard about the south, I assumed it was worse there than here....Perhaps not.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (1234, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 22kHornet, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 257 roberts, 63 invisible), 3,189 guests, and 1,032 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,590
Posts18,532,411
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.