Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
I am currentlyt looking for a new 25-06 to set up and hunt with this year. I am leaning towards a Marlin XL7. I have never shot ballistic tips out of any of my rifles but I found a store with some 100 grain federal nosler ballistic tips for a good price and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on them for deer sized game as well as groundhogs and coyotes. I currently do not handload so factory ammo is all I have access to at this time. How do these bullets hold up on a deer or would I be better off with a better constructed bullet?

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I would use something else.....
You might give Federal Fusions a try if they are made in that caliber, also the Federal blue box or Remington Corelokts.

Winchester sells 120 hollow point ammo that I have used and was very accurate in the 25-06 I had.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The 100 grain Ballistic Tip is a great bullet for deer. Myself and several friends have been loading them in our 25-06s for years. Buy some and go kill stuff!

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
The 100 grain Ballistic Tip is a great bullet for deer. Myself and several friends have been loading them in our 25-06s for years. Buy some and go kill stuff!

I agree.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A good bullet I am sure for a ribcage shot, but for best overall performance I have been using a Barnes TSX and TTSX in my 257WBY. In my experience, ideal. Should be some around in factory loads if you do not yet roll your own.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B2

W
W
the 100 grn bt is a real good choice for deer, I roll my own and thats all I shoot thru my encore. hit em right and they go nowhere.
Deano

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Deano,

WELCOME to 24hrcf!

Glad you chimed in, even tough you are wrong smile

Just kidding, as I said on a normal shot at normal speeds the bullet is OK.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Ol' Dogzapper and his lovely wife have laid a pile of deer and antelope low with the 100gr NBT from the .250AI and the .25/06. Maybe a few other critters as well.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
personally i would cheap out and go with hundred grain hornady flat bases. They will hold up at at 3550 from a weatherby. They also expand to like .7 inches.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The 100gr BT will punch through deer shoulders and keep on going. Then again, sometimes only fragments will keep on going, but in any case, they work fine on broadside to quartering shots.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They must have toughened these bullets up lately,I used 130gr. BT's in my 270 when they first came out and they were like a bomb on deer.

`Bring Enough Gun`
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've used nothing but 100gr Btips in my 25-06s, since these bullets hit the market. Zero complaints. Over two dozen dead deer between my bud and I, lots of dead woodchucks, too.

Don't really see much difference from the originals, as to what they're making now, performance-wise, as the originals worked very well. Very accurate, mucho deadly regardless of lung or shoulder whacks. Have killed deer from about 75 yards and out beyond 450 yards wiffem.

RP cases, 54grs of IMR 4831 and CCI 200 primers, here.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
This bullet is almost legendary now with the .25/06 for deer.

JW

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i am going to try this bullet in my 257 wby wonder how it will work grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
FWIW .... probably zilch ... I've used 115gr BST outta a 25-06 on deer with good success ... turned those lungs to jelly.

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wouldn't a 100gr Btip launched from a 257 Weatherby, likely vaporize any deer under 350lbs, on contact?

Purty sure I've seen that somewheres on the internet?

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

+1...the Hornady 100fb is a close second in both my .25's...

It must feel so good to be right all the time.....
Click "Ignore"..get rid of the whore..
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
The only Balistic tips I have used was at 200 yards, 150 gr. Nosler Bal. Tip, rib cage shot behind the shoulder on a Mule Deer, the bullet vaporized on impact, blew out a section of skin about 6 inches x 6 inches..The lungs appeared to be peppered like one would expect with No. 7.5 shot..instant kill, damn poor bullet performance...

I went back to partitions needless to say..I also pulled about 100 bullets and reloaded them with partitions and accubonds..

A game bullet should have the capability of shooting through an animal lengthwise IMO...

I have not used the 25 caliber balistic tips however,so perhaps they are a better bullet in 25 cal. but I doubt it., I believe the design is faulted in that it has no locking element other than jacket thickness, just like any old time cup and core bullet..

I suspect too much is based on only a few deer killed and unsubstaniated claims with this bullet..Most all bullets work most of the time and the worst bullets will fail only on ocassion, A lot of factors come into play such as muzzle velocity upon impact, range, angle, etc. etc. I, personally, would be suspecious of the 25 cal. balistic tip. If a bullet fails on me once or twice, chances of me forgiving it are slim to none, right or wrong, but that choice is mine and your choice is yours...

So, to each his own and its a personal choice, but IMO there are just too many proven good bullets out there in "premium persuasion" such as partition types, bonded core bullets, interlock bullets, Interbond bullets, to even bother taking a chance with any cup and core.

Guess I'm suspecious of claims for the most part, and I'm
old enough to remember the days when bullet failure was common..Fortunately, todays premium bullets are the best in history and are there for the taking. The key words to successfull hunting is "premium bullets" IMO, its the best hunt insurance you can buy...Let the non believers figure this out the hard way.

C
C
I have used the 100 gr bt for several years now in my 257stw and have yet to lose a deer. So far they all have dropped within 10 yards. It also performs quite well in my 25-06 but not quite as instantainious as far as how fast they fall, but the end results are real similar. I am toying with the Barnes right now just for fun in the 06.......cheese

T
tKD Offline
T
Tried some 130gn BT's out with a 270 when they 1st came out and was very impressed with the velocity and accuracy. That year a nice mulie presented broadside at 70 yards, the bullet hit right behind the front shoulder. The deer dropped instantly but the bullet fragmented perpendicularly causing extensive damage.
No doubt in certain calibers and distances they are an effective bullet but given my exposure to them I'll stick with the Hornady's and the Partitions for hunting.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (1minute, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1lessdog, 1Longbow, 63 invisible), 2,527 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,819
Posts18,477,719
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.