Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Daveman Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Climbing down from my deerstand this weekend at dark, I heard a pack of coyotes light up maybe a 150 yards away. As I was walking back to the truck with my bow in the near-darkness, I could hear them running behind me in the brush. I shined my light where I heard them, and could see their eyes about 70 yards away. They followed me through the woods until I got to the edge of the field. It was nerve-wracking, to say the least. Question: would a pack of coyotes attack a hunter walking alone at dark? If so, I'll pack something besides my bow next time.

GB1

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Pack something and do everyone a favor and cap as many of the nuisance vermin as you can! As for attacking...I cannot speak to that. I guess anything is possible!

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I cant say for sure but i did have a very similiar expereince.
I was stuck in the mud during a very hard rare South Texas rain coming into the ranch at about midnight.
I had to get out of the truck and start walking about a mile to the ranch camp house.
While walking with my feeble mini mag light i could hear them in the not so far distance.
Finally they were on both sides of the muddy ranch road out of sight but close enough that i could hear them and at one point actually smell them.
How many i am not sure but i would say close to a dozen.
Very spooky for sure.
But other than that they got no closer.
I honestly think they were more curious and were being devilishly trying of my patience.

Last edited by Texas Hunter; 10/19/09.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
i've had a pack of them come right up to me to nip at my dogs, but not when i had a gun of coarse. we had a litte scuffle for a minute or two. i think they were so focused on the dogs that they diddn't notice me.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Well, before the wolf was reintroduced to Yellowstone they were packing up and bringing down elk. We've had a pack around here lately. The dogs usually keep them at bay, but a few weeks ago they came in close and we haven't seen our good mouser since and the deer have pretty much disappeared.

Can they? Yes. Will they? Doubtful, but you never know.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They will follow you. I've had that happen. Will they attack? I don't know, as I killed 2 of them for following me without permission.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I guess in parts of the country that sees truely bitter winters it's a real possibility.
You know pack behaviour and all that.
Hunger can have major effects to man and beast alike.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Your right.

My wife didn't fix me any supper last night and I saw the neighbors baby playing in the yard next door....

Tasty little Tike. Don't tell anybody.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have never heard of an attack on a human by a coyote that was not rabid. They are extremely curious after dark and will approach even a campfire very closely if you don't discourage them. We have had them all around our deer camps in the Chiricahuas at night. However, they never bothered any of the carcasses that were hanging, even when the little kit foxes were climbing the trees to jump on the carcasses to try to grab a quick bite.

When I lived in Texas, Nebraska and Kansas, they were hunted so hard that you rarely saw one that was not running. There are quite a few on the ranch in Colorado where I hunt elk, and the owner discourages people from shooting them. Even there, they will not come in very close while you are dressing an elk or deer. But if you go back to the gut pile the next morning, it is almost always completely cleaned up.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
You ate a baby?

Do you use any special sauce or spices.

Sorry, I'm sick. sick grin

Camp is where you make it.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A little Tony's and Lea & Perrin. Delicious!

I may start cruising Day Cares.... laugh

I'm joking of course. With my luck, some neighbors kid will come up missing and I'll be accused of eating it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've been shadowed a bunch of times, deer hunting, turkey hunting, and just out walking. I don't know of anyone whose actually been attacked. I'm sure a pack of them, if they cared to, could kill a human. My guess is that they over-estimate us.

I always warn guys who get to talking about carrying concealed in the field for this reason:

1) You aren't really gonna get et. It's scary, but bluffing will do a better job than a handgun.
2) Most coyote encounters are in bad light and dense cover. You don't want to go firing off into the dark and into the bushes at things unseen.

Me? When I meet up with yotes in the dark, I shine my light in their direction, puff up as big as I can, and tell them that they're hunting without written permission and I'm going to call the warden. That usually does it. I have a collection of tails from the ones that didn't heed my warning and try to come in later while I'm turkey hunting.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Coyotes I've trapped east of the big river (TN & WV)would lunge at me and try to bite when I walked up on them. Coyotes I've trapped west of the river(OK & WY)wouldn't. There is a distint difference in the aggression of a eastern coyote and a western coyote but, to be honest, I don't think you had anything to worry about.
Feral dogs are another thing entirely.

Aim for the exit hole.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by shaman
I've been shadowed a bunch of times, deer hunting, turkey hunting, and just out walking. I don't know of anyone whose actually been attacked. I'm sure a pack of them, if they cared to, could kill a human. My guess is that they over-estimate us.

I always warn guys who get to talking about carrying concealed in the field for this reason:

1) You aren't really gonna get et. It's scary, but bluffing will do a better job than a handgun.
2) Most coyote encounters are in bad light and dense cover. You don't want to go firing off into the dark and into the bushes at things unseen.

Me? When I meet up with yotes in the dark, I shine my light in their direction, puff up as big as I can, and tell them that they're hunting without written permission and I'm going to call the warden. That usually does it. I have a collection of tails from the ones that didn't heed my warning and try to come in later while I'm turkey hunting.

I dunno on bluffing, it can get you out of a situation, while a handgun can kill the problem. At least pretty easy out to 50 yards or so, and if not kill em at 100, will come dang close enough to scare em.
Now blasting away at sounds in the bush isn't good with anything, bow, firearm etc...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dosent seem like there are a large number of reported coyote attacks but there are some and at least 1 death that I can find.

This link has some info

http://www.varmintal.com/attac.htm

I dont think I would take any unnecessary risks around them.

A lap dance is sooooo much better when the stripper is crying
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
+1-- shoot em, shoot em all

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Never worried about it, but having one or more follow me would cause me to try and get a shot at it.
TX coyotes are always quick to run when you do see them.

stumpy

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
as I killed 2 of them for following me without permission.

Way to go, good training for them.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by mudhen
I have never heard of an attack on a human by a coyote that was not rabid.

Mackenzie, BC....

Last summer, 12 yr old girl knocked down off her bike and bitten while she was between the Gantahaz subdivision and town by a lone coyote, until a car happened by and ran him off.

Winter before that at around noon TWO men bitten outside of the 7/11 by a coyote who threatened them.

No idea why this stuff doesn't make national news, but it has happened enough to be a regular occurence...Enough so that a call to the local CO has him in your yard prowling around with a twelve guage....

Come winter, you certainly see them a lot more. Doesn't even make people bat an eye if you are sitting in Subway and a coyote walks past the door with a housecat or small dog in its mouth.

Originally Posted by Someone
Why pack all that messy meat out of the bush when we can just go to the grocery store where meat is made? Hell,if they sold antlers I would save so much money I could afford to go Dolphin fishing. Maybe even a baby seal safari.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Last Spring, I was camping in the Ocala National Forest. I woke up early, to find a pack of coy dogs right at the front of my bivy tent. I shined the light on them, and they took off.

Several years back, hunting hogs up in Georgia, I was walking back to the truck in the dark. I was followed by several coyotes. I shined my Mag-Lite on them, and managed to shoot one with the SOCOM 16. The rest went somewhere safer.

Would they attack? Doubt it, but then you just never know.

Sam......

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

117 members (300_savage, 41rem, 808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 16 invisible), 1,693 guests, and 966 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,716
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.