Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Mssgn Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Just shot my first moose yesterday smile

God sent me a little bull. Don't think I'll have the shoulder mount done, but would like to put the antlers on teh side of the house. Any way to preserve them from bleaching out in the weather etc.?

Any advice for cleaning the meat off, etc. in preparation for that sort of display?

Last edited by Mssgn; 10/19/09.

"Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37, verse 4.

"The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt." Proverbs 12:27
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The sun will wreck them in a couple of years. Keep them in the shade if possible. I suppose you could put a waterproof finish of some kind on them, but I've never tried it. The sun will bake off most finishes, too, so it needs to be redone every couple of years.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
As long as you are going to ruin them outside, why worry about it?

Oh, good luck on the meat.

Last edited by Sitka deer; 10/19/09.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Keep them inside..... Outside, they'll bleach out white and last 20-30 years, unless someone steals them....

I cut a 55 gal barrel in about half lengthwise (It's offset a bit, accommodating different antler configurations, propped it up on concrete blocks, and boiled the chit out of the skull using a wood fire (a friend uses a propane burner), using bleach water. Did get a color differential at water-line on the antlers.... but I just don't care. The antler configuration was worth mounting...

[Linked Image]

Last edited by las; 10/19/09.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

M
Mssgn Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks for the boiling info las. That's a great looking mount smile
Thanks for the tips Rock Chuck.

The idea for you other guys is to look for info on how to prevent the weather from ruining them.....

"Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37, verse 4.

"The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt." Proverbs 12:27
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
keep them indoors,
if you have an ant mount nearby stake them to it and they will have it picked clean in a hurry, might be a little late in the year though.
do the boiling/bleach water thing. I did it on my elk and it worked nicely. boiled it 3 or 4 times, and between each one I would scrape the meat/brains off the skull. it wasn't a fun job, do it outside for sure.

then store them in your garage or other part of the house, but indoors is the only way to keep from ruining them

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
M
Mssgn Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
So the consensus is that there is NO way to preserve them against the weather?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Bingo!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you're going to "weather" them outdoors, I would recommend against any kind of harsh prior treatment, or chemicals. Skin the skull cap, scrape excess tissue off, the rest will dry or be eaten by naturally occurring small vermin. The antlers will whiten naturally but will, assuming something other than rainforest conditions, last for many, many years. Expecting 20 years should be a minimum.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mssgn
So the consensus is that there is NO way to preserve them against the weather?

The sun's UV is the culprit. It's what wrecks roofs, not rain. It wrecks decks, car paint and dashboards, tires, and about everything else. It does a serious number on your skin, too.

― George Orwell

IC B3

M
Mssgn Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Hmmmm.....so if I coat them with a UV resistant deck preservative..... I think I'll try that smile

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Redwood colored antlers might be attractive in the right setting.

― George Orwell

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Mssgn;

Seal them with deck sealer, and put them on the house. By the time they are faded and starting to deteriorate, you ought to have another set to replace them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
grin Mickey the Moose. They might be aesthetically lacking, but those synthetic antlers will sure be stable and strong.

M
Mssgn Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
Mssgn;

Seal them with deck sealer, and put them on the house. By the time they are faded and starting to deteriorate, you ought to have another set to replace them.

I like the way you think!

I stain my deck with clear UV protector every summer. I'll just do the antlers too!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They will last better with nothing... UV has virtually nothing to do with their demise. It is the freeze-thaw cycling that breaks them down. Putting a film over the works will cause the film to hold bigger chunks and when they start breaking out it will lead to more "erosion" faster.

UV does not go very deep and the oxidized surface layers will "protect" the antler material underneath. I have seen lots and lots of treated and untreated antlers left in the weather.

YMMV...

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
NO bleach necessary in the boiling water cleaning method. Better to have darker bases from the fats in the boiling process than white bases needing stained to match from bleach. I learned from a taxidermist to put linseed oil on my antlers (indoor mounts) to help them not dry out and stay nicer looking, might work outside too.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I restored a slightly dried out and faded set of moose antlers with linseed oil, wipe on and with another rag wipe off the excess. NEVER use bleach in your boiling water or in an attempt to whiten bone, that stuff never quits eating away.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Linseed oil will lead to black antlers outdoors. They may be "gold" for awhile, but linseed oil will darken and mildew in the weather. Left alone, antlers will bleach as little else but the calcium is left. If the area is shaded and damp, you may get some lichen growth, otherwise they'll become starkly white - not unattractive in many situations and contexts.

As Sitka Deer points out, the mineral is going to be broken down by freezing and thawing more than other things. 30 years or 40 is not an unreasonable life expectancy for antlers where I'm at. I expect one could see at least 20 in most places.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As far as bleaching, do not use bleach, use hydrogen peroxide. There is an excellent treatise on this at http://www.javelinahunter.com/preparing_a_skull.htm

step by step recipe for skull prep and preservation.

Kevin Haile
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (1234, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 160user, 56 invisible), 2,548 guests, and 1,418 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,175
Posts18,484,652
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.