Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
I chose the Kodiak flexbow tent because I wanted a canvas tent to have as a base camp when I travel to hunt. I wanted something simple for one man to set-up. I did not want a floor for hunting but since I will be also using this here in TX for taking the grandkido's camping I felt I needed a floor. So I tried to find the best of both, and hope this will suffice.
I will try and post some sequence photo's to show the installation. The stove is homemade and will see how it works this yr. It is just a larger version of my little pak stove w/ some stuff added here and there for better efficency(sp). The tent is a 10'x14', and the stove boot is a 5" oval from Outfitters Supply out of MT, I used Tear Menders glue for the installation. The stove is 12"x24" w/ a 7' pipe.

This shows the pattern for the boot, and also a good veiw of the side vents;

[Linked Image]

Here's the boot;

[Linked Image]

The next three show the boot installed, along w/ the stove in place.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I'm excited about giving it a try!!! --Allen--

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Looks like it'll work out good........

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very slick!! I've seriously thought of a similar type setup. Looks great! Just beware, that tents of that design to move/flex a pretty good amount in high winds. FWIW, a worker for a company that makes a nearly identical tent suggesting putting guys on the top corners to keep the movement down so it didn't knock over the stove.

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
If that tear mender is the same stuff we used to call tehr greeze (white milky stuff), it should be the last thing standing. That stuff was so good, the canvas on an old swather could be fixed with it. (showin my age a little, I know) Nice looking job.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Pointer, it does have the guy out tabs, thanks for the heads-up.

Oldtrapper, it is the milky white stuff.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good deal!!! IMO, that puts Kodiak one leg up on their predecessor...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tx Trapper-

Just wondering if you've gotten a chance to give this setup a try with the stove yet this year?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
TX, didn't see this earlier but looks good!!

I would also suggest the corner tie outs.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Well, I'll add an update since the trip. The tent was better than expected. It rained or sleeted just about every day or night. Only burned the stove a few times, just wasn't cold enough but it was nice to have. The glue started to come loose on the stove jack, so when I got back had it sewn in.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the update! If I can find a 10X14 at the right price I plan on trying what you did! Putting up a tent like that is much easier than a traditional wall tent, yet these have much of the same features.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
And a whole lot less wind and snow resistance......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Really? Care to share any info?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Wish I had pics to share of the Morapos trailhead the year it snowed so hard. The only tents standing were my outfitters wall tents and 2 old army tents. EVERYTHING else collapsed. From little dome tents to cabin tents like pic't above. What is funny, the next year the campground was full of camp trailers. As to wind, the Kifaru crew was surprised by my wall tent's durability in the wind, as compared to their tipi's. The rendezvous site kinda catches the breeze.......With out guy-outs, the springbar and coleman type cabins, just pull up stakes and blow away....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The snow/wind results make since. IIRC, trapper stated that the Kodiak has guy out points. If the one I bought didn't have them, it would shortly...

T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
pointer, can't argue w/ huntsman. I did string a tarp over it before going and it worked well. The top bar made it easy to put on. It does have the guy outs at each corner if needed. Besides the stakes, it is a breeze to put up. We had weather of some sort each night or day and I think it handled it fine. No snow but some hvy slush one night. I used it for early season (sept). I did not like the floor though and am planning on getting a regular wall tent for future trips. But this one will stay for the trips here in TX where a floor is a plus:).

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
That looks like quite the setup. If you don't mind me asking what was the price tag? I have a feeling that in the next couple of years it will be just me hunting as my father and uncle are around 75 yoa. So I would need something that is sturdy, warm and one guy can set up. I hunt in snow country along the Lake Superior water shed so it is not unusual to get up to a 18" of snow on the ground the opening day of deer season.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Brink, this is where I got mine. They run them on sale at times, plus they sometimes send out coupons for so many dollars off if you spend this much. Might just keep an eye out. I really liked the tent, probably the best I have stayed in. The floor is very hvy and I like all the ventilation for early season. I used a lantern each morning to warm it up and it worked just fine along w/ the single burner stove for the morning coffee. Man I miss being there just talking about it.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...dex&parentId=cat20105&id=0054659

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tx Trapper
pointer, can't argue w/ huntsman. I did string a tarp over it before going and it worked well. The top bar made it easy to put on. It does have the guy outs at each corner if needed. Besides the stakes, it is a breeze to put up. We had weather of some sort each night or day and I think it handled it fine. No snow but some hvy slush one night. I used it for early season (sept). I did not like the floor though and am planning on getting a regular wall tent for future trips. But this one will stay for the trips here in TX where a floor is a plus:).
That does it! I'm back on the look out for a wall tent! laugh

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Keep an eye on KSL.com. Had a buddy looking for a wall tent a couple months ago and found him a 14x16 Kirkham's (AAA Tent) complete with rain fly and internal frame for $625.00! The entire package was brand new and has a bunch of extras including double doors with screens, windows on both sides, extended eves, and made of 12oz water/mildew/fire resistant Sunforger material.

If I would have known everything it had, he never would have heard about it!... cry grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Keep an eye on KSL.com.
That's a part of my morning routine... laugh

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

640 members (160user, 007FJ, 1minute, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 1234, 66 invisible), 2,843 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,186
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.