Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Deer season just ended and my '97 Rokon 2WD 2 wheeler did terrific work in retrieving deer and overly tired hunters. Surprised one good hunting buddy by taking his mule deer right up a slope that was almost too steep to walk up, deer in toe, without slipping a tire even the slightest bit.

A lost safer on sidehills and rumbling over terrain with badger holes hidden in the CRP grasses than a 4 wheeler as well.

Only one of the deer hauled was mine, but it was sure fun running around hauling the other guys deer and giving rides to guys, showing off a bit in the process. LUV it!

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Most versatile non-legged packmobile ever made.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Couldn't agree more, and I am winning converts in my hunting camp each year. Elk season will show the capabilities even more, I am sure. The thick tree cover prevents larger vehicles from accessing many area's where Elk have been known to travel and get shot.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Safariman:

Convince me on the Rokon. I've always been intrigued, but a couple of concerns: (1) no suspension; (2) have to stop to shift gears (lose momentum going up a hill); (3) Not alot of power.

Do they really climb a 60 degree grade. I used to have a Trail 90 and then a Honda XR 500. The XR would outclimb the 90 because I could get speed, but the ideal bike would be one with torque and traction and speed and the ability to negotiate tight spaces at slower speeds and still climb a steep grade while doing so.

Also, I have a hard time thinking the Rokon would out climb a good ATV. Your thoughts/responses would be appreciated.

Jordan

Last edited by RobJordan; 10/28/09.

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Shift gears before you start the climb. They aren't designed with a geared transmission like other bikes. It's more like the low range in a truck. Shift to low before you start the climb.

The lack of suspension greatly adds to the wt carrying capacity. They aren't made for driver comfort but for hauling a load

I also had a Trail 90. It COULD have been the best offroad bike ever made if they'd used an engine that could pull it's own weight. The 90 was grossly underpowered. I tried to pack 2 different deer with mine and ended up having to pack both the deer and the bike. It sure couldn't pack a deer with me on it, too.

The big advantage of the Rokon is that it can go in very narrow places, a major consideration in elk country. It can go between rocks and trees and on sidehills where an ATV is helpless.

― George Orwell

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The big advantage of the Rokon is that it can go in very narrow places, a major consideration in elk country. It can go between rocks and trees and on sidehills where an ATV is helpless.

An atv is not helpless on sidehills,if you know how to ride them.As well,I have hauled an entire elk out on an atv in one load,where dragging the carcass was not an option.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by stubblejumper

An atv is not helpless on sidehills,if you know how to ride them.As well,I have hauled an entire elk out on an atv in one load,where dragging the carcass was not an option.

Have done the same with moose on my old Suzuki 300 and the Kawasaki 650.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RobJordan
Safariman:

Convince me on the Rokon. I've always been intrigued, but a couple of concerns: (1) no suspension; (2) have to stop to shift gears (lose momentum going up a hill); (3) Not alot of power.

Do they really climb a 60 degree grade. I used to have a Trail 90 and then a Honda XR 500. The XR would outclimb the 90 because I could get speed, but the ideal bike would be one with torque and traction and speed and the ability to negotiate tight spaces at slower speeds and still climb a steep grade while doing so.

Also, I have a hard time thinking the Rokon would out climb a good ATV. Your thoughts/responses would be appreciated.

Jordan

Because the Rokon uses a centrifugal clutch transmission system like is used on some jetski's and nearly all snowmobiles the tranny is a very effective power multiplier. The only shifting to do is high range with a top speed of about 25 for riding around on forest service roads and such, middle range which is where I do most of my riding and even used it when towing about 200 lbs of dead deer excepting for up the very steepest grades but has a top speed of apx 15 mph, and low range where the top speed is about 7 or so mph but where I have not yet found a limit to its climbing ability or towing ability. PLENTY of power, and I am 6'3" and about 250lbs. With rifle anf daypack and all I probably get up to 300 or more ready to hunt. Hauled my large posterior AND that of several companions with all of our backpacks and rifles etc. up all sorts of very steep grades over the just now past deer season. Just stopped for a moment at the bottom of the extra steep stuff and pulled the transfer case shift lever out all the way to low range and up we went without ever slipping a tire, even a little. Then, at the top back into mid range for two up riding as fast as we dared go on uneven terrain. Power to climb or haul is NOT a problem so far.

A friend of mine owns some high mountain property with a gold mine on it and part of it is a very steep rock slide covered with several years worth of downed leaves. He told me that many have tried to climb that rock slide with all manner of 4 wheelers to no avail. Dared me to give it a go. I put the Rokon in low range, sat up nice and tall and comfy, twisted the throttle and pointed the thing towards UP. Just rode to the top like another day at the office. The climbing ability of these things has to be experienced to be fully understood. I run out of guts before this Rokon runs out of climbing ability. It will, and has, taken me and my whatever loads wherever I have pointed it.

Yes, an ATV can do some sidehill stuff, but a Rokon can traverse SERIOUS sidehill while the rider is siting upright and comfortable and with no fear of tipping. If one's Rokon does tip over on him - and mine has several times- it is a minor distraction rather than a serious injury like can be caused by a tipped onto you 4 Wheeler ATV.

On the suspension "problem" My newer 1997 model has a spring under the seat sorta like the old Harleys had. Works pretty good and with those big tires running only about 2.5lbs of pressure the Rokon is pretty comfortable all things considered. Now to be sure, it is NOT as fast as a big CC 4 Wheeler ATV nor as totally comfortable on an all day ride as a fully suspensioned ATV but for what I need an ATV to do, like get me right up to a dead animal in heavy timber and then haul me AND it out -even over rocks and deadfall - it suits me quite well.

Besides that, it is WAY cool and WAY fun, starts conversations wherever I go (What IS that thing?!?! It sure looks COOL!) and I can embarrass the 4 Wheeler guys on hill climbs where the traction is minimal.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Safariman:

Thanks for the response. That was what I was looking for. I've been really close to buying one a couple of times, but just could not bring myself to pull the trigger due to uncertainty about the machine's performance. I think what I really need to do is see if I can arrange to ride one and/or see one ridden in steep conditions to learn firsthand how it performs. I had an 4-wheel ATV and sold it. I have a vintage jeep I am restoring. Having a Rokon that I could strap on the back of the jeep would give me a great back country access combination. Which model do you have? Any preference for 15' vs. 12' wheels? Which engine do you like (Honda vs. Kohler).

Thanks,

Jordan

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Because the Rokon uses a centrifugal clutch transmission system like is used on some jetski's and nearly all snowmobiles the tranny is a very effective power multiplier.

I have never seen a jet ski that uses a cv belt drive.In fact the ones that I owned,and all that I saw were direct drive.

Now to be sure, it is NOT as fast as a big CC 4 Wheeler ATV nor as totally comfortable on an all day ride as a fully suspensioned ATV but for what I need an ATV to do, like get me right up to a dead animal in heavy timber and then haul me AND it out -even over rocks and deadfall - it suits me quite well.

How many loads does it take you to haul out a mature elk or a moose,if dragging is not an option?How easy is it to drag a moose or elk on icy trails?

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Safariman:

Thanks for the response. That was what I was looking for. I've been really close to buying one a couple of times, but just could not bring myself to pull the trigger due to uncertainty about the machine's performance. I think what I really need to do is see if I can arrange to ride one and/or see one ridden in steep conditions to learn firsthand how it performs. I had an 4-wheel ATV and sold it. I have a vintage jeep I am restoring. Having a Rokon that I could strap on the back of the jeep would give me a great back country access combination. Which model do you have? Any preference for 15' vs. 12' wheels? Which engine do you like (Honda vs. Kohler).

Thanks,

Jordan

If you can get out to Eastern WA or OR you can ride mine.

Mine has a Honda engine that has been bored out slightly. Never had a Kohler engine but had a couple of the two strokes which were BIG on power but too noisy and temperamental for me. My rig has 15 inch tires but JJ HAck likes that 12 inch and I will probably change mine out someday. Just do NOT get one with spoke wheels! They grab stuff off of the ground and then slap your legs with it!

Stubblejumber,

So far dragging has been do-able, but since I can carry a 250lb or more hunter and gear on the back with ease I would imagine I could get an elk out in two trips. Never killed a moose, no frame of reference.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
How much did you bore out that Honda? Did you get much power or torque increase? I just e-mailed Rokon about trying to arrange a test drive. I live in Northeastern Kalifornia. Thanks for offering. No plans to be in Eastern Washington anytime soon, but I'll keep your offer in mind. I definitely need to ride one of these.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
A bigger problem than where a Rokan can go is where it can go LEGALLY. Public land is being closed to motorized vehicles at a very rapid pace. True, many off roaders are tearing up the landscape, but the tree huggers are in power and they don't want any land left to bikes.

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
How much did you bore out that Honda? Did you get much power or torque increase? I just e-mailed Rokon about trying to arrange a test drive. I live in Northeastern Kalifornia. Thanks for offering. No plans to be in Eastern Washington anytime soon, but I'll keep your offer in mind. I definitely need to ride one of these.

I have lots of family in nor Cal. If you have not test driven a Rokon by June of 2010 I plan to be camping out and riding down there in the mountains near Foresthill. This is where the famous Rock Chute is and we can REALLY show you what these little monsters can do.

Mine was bored out when I got it second had as well as upgraded brakes to hydraulic units. I was told that it went from 5.5HP to 6.5 but I cannot say for sure. I only know it to be quite enough. The engine block says it displaced 199CC's at origin so maybe it is now a 250? Starts first pull every time and goes forever on a tank of gas as well. Another plus I forgot about. Tank hold 3.5 Gallons and after riding it all over the place on the opening weekend of deer season including hauling a deer out from wayyyyy back there I was only able to add .75 Gal of gas to the tank!

If you get out this way we can shoot some varmints at the same time. March and April are great times to blast the heck out of Beldens ground squirrels. Coyote's and Badgers too. If you make a trip soon I could show you some Mallards and Geese along with some Pheasants.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I just e-mailed Rokon about trying to arrange a test drive. I live in Northeastern Kalifornia.

R.J., I don't know if the company is still in business or not, but there used to be a ROKON dealer in Bakersfield. Perhaps the ROKON people can direct you to that dealer. If you're down that way, you could drive one of their ROKONs.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Safariman:

Thanks for your generous offer. I may take you up on that. Seriously. I would love to test drive a Rokon. Interesting what you say about it having plenty of power. I've always thought maybe the Rokon was abit underpowered, but from what you say perhaps not.

Jordan

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Safariman:

Do you like spokes or drums for wheels? 12" or 15"? I know color is real subjective, but what color are most guys going with?

Thanks,

Jordan

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
#1 Drum 12's #2 Drum 15's Spokes.... no fly zone there. Spoke wheels are Torture devices!

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Spoke wheels are Torture devices!

How so?

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
They grab sticks and limbs off of bushes and small trees then proceed to beat you to death with them.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (160user, 10ring1, 007FJ, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 57 invisible), 2,911 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,486
Posts18,490,298
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.