Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Lots of things said here. Consider both my sister and brother in law, both (according to the US Army) fully qualified Physical Therapist's. When they got out they couldn't even get a job interview for work in the field. Why? Because what the Army called "qualified" and what is qualified outside the Army are two very different things. They didn't have the piece of paper from a civilian school. Of course if they had that piece of paper they would have gone in as officers not E1's.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well if I was your age, rather than 20 years older, I would give it a shot, why not, hell there are guys that are serving in there 60s now. I don't know much about being a Medic, I am personally I would lean more to well flying 35 is past that to start I think. So how are your eyes and would you care to get a jaded view of life looking thru a 10X scope. If it was me I would go for what ever MOS that would let me shoot a lot, But medics are needed to and if you think its right to do and the family is ok with it, then go and do. Americans are like that we go and we do. This War is going to go on long after you are in your grave, sorry to say your grand children as well.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I cannot thank everyone enough for the input. I did not expect so much interest.

All comments will be taken into consideration, my wife has read them along with me. This would be a life changing decision...

I Have an appointment to talk with a recruiter this Saturday, just to get some more info. I have already been told that there are limited MOS available for prior service.

The 68w is my idea, not his. I have also made it clear that I do not want to waste his time or mine, but this would be a career change and will only be done if it is on my terms. He seemed ok with that.

Again, thanks to everyone. If interested I will follow up after my appointment.

“Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.”
― Ernest Hemingway
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Find something that involves being inside with A/C. You will end up in the desert at some point, it gets friggin hot, trust me, I have been to Iraq 3 times, you dont know hot until you have been to the Middle East. Think we are leaving Iraq? Notice how they keep mentioning that all "combat" troops will be out by the end of 2011? Actual combat arms troops make up a very small portion of the boots on the ground over there, around 15%. Expect the number of crunchies in the 'Stans to increase soon as well.

I would not recommend you coming in at a lower enlisted rank at your age. Worker bee duties are assigned by rank. Being prior service, ask yourself why you got out in the first place. Also ask yourself if you really want to be away from your family, for up to a year at a time, when you and they are not used to that. You also need to ask yourself what this will do to your wife. Is she used to you being home, and doing stuff like mowing the yard, and the rest of the stuff that goes with having a family? How will she like being the one to has to do it all, now that you are gone for a year?

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Why not go back in the Navy?

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
The Navy would put me back on a sub...guaranteed gone 6 months out of the year for four years.

I would go in the Army as E-4 and my previous time in rate would count towads E-5, so hopefully within a year I would be moving up.

“Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.”
― Ernest Hemingway
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Forget Medic. If you end up in The Sandbox or The Rockpile with the infantry, you will be humping a ruck that is 25% heavier than the one the infantry guy next to you is humping. At 35, that means bad knees, back, and feet. If you have your heart set on going, do something in Finance or Personnel. Sure, it's not glamorous and nobody makes movies like "Paying Private Ryan" or "The Forms of War", but the bennies are the same and you ARE providing a vital service supporting the guys that are on the pointy end.

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. --H. L. Mencken

www.oregonfirearms.org
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bea175
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
I am veteren of the Big One, yep...no applause please.....a huge brawl with bikers at a Po' folks restaurant in Columbus, Ga.

Awarded the purple eye and broke bird finger in that one..

I remember my times in Columbus Ga, it was fun being young. I was a paratrooper with the 101st Airborne

This reminds me of an old episode of The Waltons. Kurtis had been killed at Pearl. A special forces soldier showed up to award him a medal posthumously to Mary Ellen. During the show he was attacked by some sailors (if I remember right) and he busted them up pretty good. He later told them that there was no shortage of enemy to fight. They had no business fighting their own colleagues in uniform. Very well stated.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
You can non-vol for subs, right?
Course you would go on a surface ship, but at least you can enjoy the wind in your face

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'm sure things are a lot different in today's Army than the Army of 38 or 40 years ago.Someone clue me in if these things have changed since then.Back in the day,Medic's worked as hard as any of the Grunts in combat and had to tote a heavier ruck along with weapons,they got less rest,and caught as much hell as any other 11B.Combat Medic ain't nothing like working on ship or on base,you got to hump hard,real hard.I don't think things have changed that much in combat concerning lives being at stake.I'd hate to think some body didn't make it because I wanted to fulfill some glorious pipe dream about being a Rambo at 35.Personally,I think you'll have a tough time graduating basic training,much less Advanced Infantry Training, and forget jump school, and Ranger school is out of the question.You won't pass the PT requirements.Airborne Ranger tab on the shoulder at age 21 is a feat in itself.Back in "THE DAY",it was "Recondo" tab,with basically 3-4 weeks OJT.Think of your wife and family,stay home get a job and think back about how you couldn't wait to get finished with the NAVY.Airborne Ranger Medic ain't nothing close to what you've been exposed to.

IC B3

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I think most people have made good points here. Life in a combat unit is not easy at 20 or 25, It will be very tough at 35 or 40.

If I were in your shoes and they would have me I might think about the coast guard. I would guess you would likely be more Conus than you will be in a combat unit on a deployment schedule perhaps more than the navy. The coast guard does plenty to be proud of and depending on your training you could be learning a good set of skills.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thank you for your candor...

― Ernest Hemingway
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Most of the 35 year olds in the Army will be E6/7/8 and a few 9s. You'll likely be working for an early 20-something NCO. You'd have 14 more years to go, making you 49 when you're finally eligible to retire. I retired at 38. Not trying to discourage you at all, but be very sure what you're doing. I'd probably bypass Ranger school at your age. Good luck and best wishes with whatever you choose.

Rob
MSgt, USAF, retired

Last edited by bufaf; 10/31/09.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
I am veteren of the Big One, yep...no applause please.....a huge brawl with bikers at a Po' folks restaurant in Columbus, Ga.

Awarded the purple eye and broke bird finger in that one..

Follow Me!!!

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 1minute, 1Longbow, 63 invisible), 14,933 guests, and 1,031 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,146
Posts18,542,544
Members74,058
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.