-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
OP Offline
H
I hunted Zambia with Muchinga Adventures in Sept. It was real wild Africa and we had a fabulous time. My main priority was buffalo hunted in the classic fashion. Well, the trackers found the tracks of 3 old bulls and we followed them for a couple of hours. At 20 yards we spotted one of the bulls laying down. He stood and I took a frontal shot with my 375 HH. He whirled and immediately was covered by the previously unseen 2 other bulls. We waited and within a couple of minutes, we heard the death bellow. He had gone only 40 yards and had turned to face us when he tipped over. The 300 gr. A-Frame had centered his heart.
Abie Duplooy was our PH and he is the real deal for dangeous game. Muchinga Adventures handled everything wonderfully from start to finish.
The link below is highlights of the trip.

http://www.huckfinnkennels.com/movie/

GB1

N
N
Congrats! Great looking buff! What is the other antelope you killed besides the bushbuck and waterbuck? It's the first one after the buffalo.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wow! Abie du Plooy is one of Africa's legendary characters. I've known him for 20 years, and have hunted with his brother Johnny several times. I see from your photo's Abie's beer gut is thriving. He feeds it well. The stories about him are legend, and his stories around the campfire are even better.

Did you hunt Luangwa? How long did you stay? Did you go to Vic Falls?

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Looks like a great hunt!

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Glad you had such a great trip. I have wanted to hunt in Zambia in the worst way for a long time and will look at Muchinga outfitters very seriously and hopefully, pretty soon. Only 32 months to go on a huge alimony payment and then I can start to travel again.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B2

SBT Offline
Congratulations on a great safari. I hunted with Muchinga in 2006 and it was fantastic. Abie's nephew, Alistar Norton was my PH and he is a very good one. At that time, he was 100% on both lion and leopard.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Nice bushbuck!

H
OP Offline
H
That is a Puku. They were thick in the Luangwa Valley. We were in the Nyaminga area on a 7 day hunt.

The next time you talk to Abie du Plooy, ask him about the story where the game scout ran over and left boot prints on the back of his tracker during a leopard charge. When we talk with our friends about deer, pheasant, duck and quail hunts, describing nice shots and other details. Abie talks the same way but has spent his life killing lions, leopards, buffalo and elephants. He had stories about Capstick, Wally Johnson, Chipman and the guy that he did his apprenticeship under. I don't remember his name but Abie called him the "John Wayne of Africa". They were incredible.

The Bushbuck was the animal that Abie really got excited about. When we were stalking it, he turned around and held his hands up showing the size, his eyes were wide. After the shot he ran through a bramble patch of thorns that even the trackers were carefully picking their way through. He got to it first and I'll never forget the smile on his face, holding the head up with blood running down both legs. He thought it would make the top 40 in Zambia. When our charter landed in the Valley and and we were loading up into the Rover, I heard another PH warn Abie about an aggressive herd of elephants that had chased their vehicle twice. We felt confident that Abie could handle any situation. He's a man to be reckoned with.
Abie had an assistant Ph with him. Nicholas Wightman, he was about 20yrs and Abie had raised him since he was 9. Nicholas really had a way about him that was riveting. He was comfortable in any situation, even when he killed that 6' Black Spitting Cobra with a spear. You will all hear more of this young man.

We visited Victoria Falls for 1 day before chartering into camp. It was a great way to relax and acclimate before the hunt.

PM me for any other info or details on the trip or Muchinga Adventures.

Huckfinn

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Huckfinn

Abie had an assistant Ph with him. Nicholas Wightman, he was about 20yrs and Abie had raised him since he was 9. Nicholas really had a way about him that was riveting. He was comfortable in any situation, even when he killed that 6' Black Spitting Cobra with a spear. You will all hear more of this young man.

Huckfinn

Not if keeps keeps screwing around spearing cobras! wink

Abie told me that when he was a teen, the area in Zambia down by Vic Falls was thick with sable, kudu, buffalo, and leopard. They used to hunt there during school holidays. (Knowing Abie, there was more hunting than school.) Once the bush war started in the '70's in Rhodesia, refuges poached everything out. That land when I was last there was overgrazed by cattle, eroded, and devoid of wildlife. How sad.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I WANNA GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have "CDO". It is just like "OCD" except the letters are in alphabetical order LIKE THEY SHOULD BE!
IC B3

That looks like an amazing hunt, and has me drooling. I hunted the Luangwa last sept/oct with Wildcat Safaris, and had the best hunt of my life. I'd love to hear more about your trip. (i've got pictures on facebook if you happen to have a page there)

Very very nice bushbuck and croc! Wonderful buffalo.

-dale

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I really want to go to Luangwa and hunt lion with Muchinga. The cost of college age kids puts it off a few years. I'll book it with Johnny, but I'd pay to have Abie in camp just for the stories.

REJ Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Great hunt. Congrats.......

rej

"We will always remember. We will always be proud. We will always be prepared, so that we will always be free" - President Reagan

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (907brass, 44automag, 10gaugemag, 308xray, 300_savage, 10 invisible), 1,480 guests, and 853 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,723
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.