Print Thread
Hop To
#3436861 10/30/09
V
ventana Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Greetings,

I recently purcahsed a Sako Finnbear in 375 H&H caliber. The rifle is in excellent condition.

I would like to have an aftermarket muzzle brake installed on its barrel for recoil mitigation.

I am curious if installation of the brake will detract from the resale value or collectability of this rifle in the future. The muzzle brake will be installed by a competent gunsmith of some fame in the custom safari rfile circles.

Thanks for your attention.

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have a Finnbear in .375 h&h as well. I would have to say, IMO, that a brake would detract from resale, no matter how it was insatlled. I would recomend another type of recoil reduction if at all possible. A PAST pad helps, but if that is not enough, perhaps a mercury reducer installed in the stock? It will not change the appearance of the rifle, and the hole could be filled if you decide to sell the rilfe. Just me 2 cents worth.

R.

You can run, but you'll just die tired.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I agree with Rman, if you care about resale, that will kill it.
If I were you, I would explore other methods as Rman suggested.
I would definately handload for it, and make up some light cast bullet loads for practice, rangework, and tailor some loads "light for caliber" for hunting (homemade reduced recoil loads).
Also muzzle brakes will not endear you to other shooters, or others nearby, especially hunting guides.
In addition, consider that the recoil reduction of a muzzle brake may not be enough for you.
Try to deal with it, wear a padded jacket, stay away from bench shooting it, get some practice.
Just my .02
good luck

Proud member of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
#1. I never purchased a rifle yet with resale in mind (just me and I invest into other stuff).

#2. The brake can save you and help you become very proficient with a fine & powerful firearm.

#3. If you do chose to go this route, have a thread protector made for the end cap that's the same size as the barrel end (exactly), and match it up to it. Put a small flat on the very bottom as to get a wrench on it to tighten it up or remove it. This is what I do. It's almost invisible when installed.

#4. Brakes don't have to be offensive to others at the range. It depends how there made. Shop around to find a good one. Mine are unique and there's no increase of noise at the shooters position. However, I'm not set up with FFL anymore so I don't do it any more except on my own.

As with any brake installed. Never shoot with some one standing next to the barrel, but this goes for non-brakes firearm as well, the brake just redirect even more this direction. They can transform a unpleasantly violent firearm into a pussycat that some one can shoot well that normally couldn't. Thus it puts a more potent rifle/pistol in the hunter hands that he/she can now shoot with confidence and can carefully place shots. Just my 2 cent and opinions only.

Some go through life wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. Ronald Regan

My Longest shot is my shortest stalk. USMC 83-87
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pass on the brake and stick with something you can shoot well.

As six-bits go,not much shoots softer than the Finnbear,due to their weight and rather excellent stock design...............

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
IMO, installing a brake will definitely degrade resale value.

The 375, especially in a gun of decent weight such as yours is not really a brutally recoiling gun........try it before you do anything. Really, I'd be surprised if you really need to do anything.

Remember, shooting of a bench is worst case scenario for comfort for a heavy rifle..........field conditions are much more forgiving.

An alternative that I've done, coincidentally on a Sako, is to mill a slot in the forearm under the barrel & install (epoxy in) a mercury recoil reducer.........actually works real well.

MM

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by PaleWhiteCracker
Pass on the brake and stick with something you can shoot well.

+1

Gotta stick in my standard line for these occasions...

If you need a muzzle brake...you need a different rifle...

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
JMO but I think a muzzle brake will hurt the resale value of any rifle that has the potential for being a collectible. With this being said, if you really want to use this rifle and the recoil is bothersome, have a muzzle brake installed. I have had them on several past rifles and I am thinking about doing this on my current rifle. It makes shooting so much more pleasurable. Just so you know, I am ex-military and in my time I have fired some weapons with hellacious recoil. I did not like it but I did what I had to do. Now that I am no longer obligated to put up with it, I have chosen to reduce the recoil of many of my rifles, no matter what the caliber. I do not get any nasty looks or snide comments at the public shooting range, when shooting rifles with muzzle brakes. In fact I've noticed others at the range from time to time who also use muzzle brakes, though they are admittedly not that common. To each his own.

Having said all of this, I will say that from what I've read, if you're going to go on a guided hunt, a muzzle braked rifle will probably be a problem and may not even be allowed. So, if that's in your future, you may want to consider this. I will not be going on a guided hunt, as I only hunt deer/hogs in the good ole South on property where I've been hunting for close to 20 years.

Remember the person you really need to please is yourself. Good luck in your decision.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
muzzle brake,what? muzzle brake,what? I cannot here what you are saying.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
+1 with Retsof. Good post.

I know Jim C. Rosenbruch (Master Guide #61 in Alaska) is all for using muzzle brakes in effort to shoot the larger more potent caliber with confidence. Him and all his guides use them. This man has history and has been in the game longer than most.

Not trying to step on any toes here, but if your keeping it as a collectible or for resale value, I'm not sure I would be taking them afield where damage could be an issue. I only see a safe queen in this instance. Just my humble opinion.

Last edited by SUPERDIESEL1; 10/31/09.

Some go through life wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. Ronald Regan

My Longest shot is my shortest stalk. USMC 83-87
IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by ventana
I am curious if installation of the brake will detract from the resale value or collectability of this rifle in the future.

BEST case scenario is that you'll get what the rifle was worth before modification. You'll never get back the cost of the brake. Much more likely though is that you'll take a financial hit if and when you sell it later on.

Collectability? Definitely diminished. It will be valued at a "shooter" basis, rather than anything collectable.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 160user, 1234, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 52 invisible), 2,478 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,427
Posts18,470,733
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.