-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My buddy shot 4 deer last year with the 210gr TTSX out of his .338WM. He hit all of them in the neck. Every one of those deer had a baseball size exit wound (on a neck shot!).

GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I've shot a handful of deer through the lungs with the 130 TSX in an -06. I've never had a "drill" through, though the holes are not huge. I would say about 1 to 1.5 inch in diameter, all the way through in a straight line with the lungs being jellied up pretty good. The biggest blood trails I have experienced have been from a TSX.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Here's what a .308/150gr TTSX did last year after it hit a calf elk... no, didn't hit anything on the way:

[Linked Image]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Here's what a 180 Nosler Partition did this year on a 6pt bull elk, traveling through 3' of elk and coming to rest under the hide on the off side:

[Linked Image]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Brad, I'm sensing an opinion being formed... wink

There is you, whom I trust, and Dober, Whom I trust, that I know have had failures with a TSX..

I have been fortunate and never had it happen over a score of kills...and I remain a big fan.

That being said I still push Nosler Partitions as one of the few "sure bets" in life....they ALWAYS work...
and are probably the best compromise between penetration and energy transfer that can be had on the market....

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I saw my 257 with 100tsx @ 3680 fps roy kill 4 deer in the last week and a half. Two by kids of 12 and 10 years of age. Both boys made shots in the 200-225 yds range and both hit the front shoulder crease (the cartilageish type bony area top of shoulder blade) and both deer were DRT no fuss no muss, and little to no meat waste. I put down a wounded buck for another hunter at a lazered 383 yds and hit it squarely in the front shoulder, small bullet hole in, 1.5" exit both shoulders and spine broke but surprisingly little meat lost. the last deer was a doe the the 7 yo shot at 150 yds, the doe was obviously sick bu on her feet so she got a 100 tsx into her between the shoulder blade as she attemtpted to leave, lost maybe 6-8 oz of meat mostly cause i cut wide around bullet holes.

As said above there was a large amount of blood in the fascia, but little to no blood shot in the meat.

I have yet to see an X hit an animal that made it very far, most have dropped at the shot

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The X leaves dead stuff in it's wake,like no other................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe

That being said I still push Nosler Partitions as one of the few "sure bets" in life....they ALWAYS work...
and are probably the best compromise between penetration and energy transfer that can be had on the market....

Ingwe

That's a difficult premise for many to accept; an old bullet design still holding rank. And the X design is truly a pleasure to deal with... when it works like it was designed to. But John's old idea still has plenty of merit; probably better quality paint if not quite the same pretty shade as some of the newer stuff.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In regards to shooting Pronghorn Antelope behind the shoulder with the .257 WBY & 100 gr. TSX, my experience mirrors yours. I have killed five Antelope with said combination with a starting MV of 3580 from 125 yds to 460 yds and all have reacted as yours. In the end dead though. Great bullet but there are better choices for Antelope.
I have had the same reaction with same rifle shooting thru Antelope with the 117 gr. Hornady round nose bullet. When they are broadside and you shoot them thru the ribs there is not a lot there to stop whatever is going thru them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Stan V
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter

John,
Good move. The best killer I ever tried in the .257 Weatherby was Uncle Roy's favorite 87gn Hornady load. It was a dynamite killer on deer sized game loaded to 3800fps.

JW

I've never used the 87gr Hornady, I'm pleased as punch with the 100gr Interlock.....I'm thinking this 87gr bullet may be a good load for the grandkids if loaded to 2500-2600 fps?

I'd like to revisit this.....would this 87gr Hornady make a suitable bullet for kids hunting deer? I imagine behind the shoulder shot is the best target with these?

All American

All the time
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Jorge regarding Leopard, I have seen them but not shot them, from what I've heard the Nosler is the way to go.

I use the Barnes for most everything but a Leopard would be one exception. It certainly would work but the Nosler will open more and be more likely to result in that thump you want to hear.

A friend shot one last year with a .375 TSX and they had a little more uncertainty than ideal even though it was a spine shot. The cat didn't react like a typical spine shot so they thought they had a bad situation on their hands.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver
I used TSX's for the first time this year on an antelope hunt. Was shooting them out of a 257 WM, running right at 3490. Question is, what kind of terminal effects are you guys seeing? Little hole in, little hole out, not a whole lot of internal damage is what I saw. Not like what I am used to seeing with cup and core bullets. The farthest shot was 246 yards, the other 2 were 150ish. None of them showed the usual reaction to being hit, 2 just stood there for a few seconds and fell over. One ran about 50 yards and fell. All were broadside, double lung hits. My experience with antelope is that they usually pile up on such shots.

My dad was shooting 25 cal 100 Hornandy's at 3140 fps, his results were much more like what I am used to. Critters piled up right there, lots of internal damage and nice exit wound.

Is this just the way TSX's perform for you guys as well. I have a load for this gun with the Hornandy bullets that shoots the same velocity and about the same accuracy. Was wondering if I should just shoot them in the future, since I have about 1000 of them at the house.

Not saying that the bullets failed. They obviously killed the critters. By the time I got another round chambered and back on the critter, they fell over. The reaction and the damage were just not what I am used to seeing on antelope. Just really curious as to what you guys see with these bullets, since this is the first time I have used them.

My experience exactly on whitetails using a 25-06 and 7 RM - small entrance, small exit, not much in between.

"Damage" from a 100 TSX from a 25-06 going as fast as it can go - shot at 100 yards.

[Linked Image]

This shoulder blade is the far blade. This was the second deer of the year. The first one took a 100 TSX through the lungs and lived ~ 2-3 minutes before lying down and finally expiring. Shot another with the 7 RM using a 140 TSX when the TSX first came out - went way too far with minimal damage.

All Nosler, all the time.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here's some TSX performance ... 6mm/.243" 85g TSX ...

antelope buck shot thru the rib cage at over 400 yards away ...

[Linked Image]

Vitals ...

[Linked Image]

Entry wound ...

[Linked Image]

Exit Wound ...

[Linked Image]

Bullet from another antelope I shot on the same trip ... she was going almost dead away from me and the bullet went full length penetration on her at 350yds away and was found just under the hide of her front right shoulder...

[Linked Image]

-WGM-
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
WGM, nice to see a Game pose where the rifle is not pointed at someones belly. The bolt is open too, why is good gun safety such a rarity?

X's just plain work, others may do it faster but do they have the same reliability factor?

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
kee-rist...jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Tejano
WGM, nice to see a Game pose where the rifle is not pointed at someones belly. The bolt is open too, why is good gun safety such a rarity?

X's just plain work, others may do it faster but do they have the same reliability factor?

first thing I noticed too. ouch

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
we need that zebra picture now....

someone please bring up hydrostatic shock just for the fun of it..

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I will admit that TSX that didn't open on the calf elk sucks......Noslers aren't perfect either though. Heres a pic of a 210gr Nosler from a .338 winnie.
[Linked Image]
Hit a rib in and still in the meat on off shoulder. Thought I would have gotten better expansion....load shoots 2900fps out that rifle and bear was 70yds. Bear probably wasn't as soildly built as the calf elk though wink
[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Some rainy day,I'll upload a pile of "kill" footage,with cup/cores zooking left and right.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver
JB,
Thanks for the reply. Glad to hear others have had the same experience with them. I am sure they work great on bigger critters that need a tough bullet. They just didnt behave like the bullets I have used in the past on antelope. Will most likely go with the Interlock next year.

From what I've read here and elsewhere, TSX's work great for large animals (elk, moose etc.), but performance is like you describe for most smaller animals. I don't have enough experience with them to say one way or another. I'm sure that will change as I shoot more pigs in central CA where non-lead is the only way to fly. There is an excellent thread on this subject right now in the African forum.

Kevin Haile
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

439 members (1badf350, 10ring1, 160user, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 40 invisible), 2,056 guests, and 1,098 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,761
Posts18,476,523
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.