Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Ok, I'm new to reloading and haven't fired one round in competition yet but I have a basic question. From what I've read, the service rifle competition requires that the AR-15 be pretty much a standard rifle. Specifically, I think I read where it cannot have a flash hider and that's where the confusion comes in. I've been looking at the Rock River Arms site and below is a link to the pic of their National Match A2 and it HAS the flash hider. The details on the web page also indicate a flash hider and I cannot find anything on their site about a barrel without it. So, what's the deal?

http://www.rockriverarms.com/images/products/punma2.gif

This noob needs educating.

It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world. - Thomas Jefferson
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
flash hider is aok.

GOA
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
You can have you on the rifle, however you do not have to.

When the Assault weapons bill was still in effect CMP changed the rules, so you could have Post-ban (NO flash hider)

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
the Rock River NMA2 1/2x1/2 is what I usually recommend to beginners. http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=226

the NMA4 which has a removable NM carry handle is also now CMP legal

the flash hider & bayo lug are optional per CMP rules, I think it looks better and the flash hider might protect the muzzle from a drop in the grass. There is a remote possibility that the plain barrel be more accurate.

now get out and SHOOT!

Poole

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
The wording is something to the effect of "must maintain original exterior appearance".

As others have said, since they did have flash suppressors prior to the assault weapons ban, they are good to go.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for all the info guys. I just got my lower yesterday and my first AR is assembled and ready to go. Now I'll be heading to the range this week to start having fun with it. My wife is cracking up at the fact that I'm 58 yo and am still buzzed like a little kid at Christmas. grin

Here's my new toy.

[Linked Image]

It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world. - Thomas Jefferson
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Who wants to tell him about the magazine?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That looks like a 30 rd magazine. Last time I checked (while not preferred for position reasons), it was legal by CMP and NRA Rules.

Get out there and have fun with your new toy. If you find you're not seeing the front sight as nicely as you'd like, come back and the good folks here will walk you through that too.

Last edited by ChrisF; 10/11/09.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd swap out the grip too

"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Okay I'll bite...what's wrong with the grip for Service Rifle Competition?

IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yeah, I knew about the magazine. That was just my bragging photo I sent to relatives and friends. What about the grip?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
The mag is legal as it looks like a 30 rounder. THe grip is also legal.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yeah, the mag won't work for prone position and, although it's impossible to tell, I need to upgrade the trigger also. That's on my Christmas list.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ChrisF
Okay I'll bite...what's wrong with the grip for Service Rifle Competition?

Mind you, I don't shoot competition... and there's nothing wrong with the standard grip if it fits your hand well, but many folks feel the standard grip is suited for people with small hands. If you have medium to large hands, this standard grip ends up putting your trigger finger in an awkward place on the trigger - a bigger, more ergonomic grip, would probably put the first pad of your trigger finger right where it is supposed to be - giving you a better trigger pull, and hopefully a more accurate shot

"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hey Jeff, is the Magpul trigger guard (with the belly in it) legal for service rifle hi-power?

GOA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
AlaskaFE,
30rd mags are legal, but as you realize, they're not optimal for position shooting. I've done it though and it can be done. The USMC CIAP requires the use of 30's. You just need to build your prone position higher to keep the bottom of the mag off the deck. If you're going to use 20rounders, realize that not all of them are competition legal. They have to be like the old straight USGI 20's...not the cut-off 30's with the curve to them that some are selling.

Since it's got a black barrel, I'm guessing you didn't get the RRA NM? If that's the case, it's a toss up whether you upgrade the trigger first or put in a float tube. The Trigger will make it a better gun to shoot all the way around from plinking to varminting to competition. The float tube is essential for putting your shots consistently in the center from position. Both should run about $100 give or take.

Ivan,
In Service Rifle Competition which is the context of AlaskaFE's question, there's a requirement that the AR have basically the unaltered profile of a standard USGI A2. That would mean an aftermarket grip would not be legal. Folks of different body size and config have to adapt to a standard config, make it work and put rounds in the middle of the target. As an example, most of us are not shooting off the first pad on the trigger finger. I'd bet most are on the first joint and some on the 2nd. Allows a straight back movement, and also gives a lighter apparent pull (significant with a 4.5lb minimum tigger pull). Great sport ain't it!!

TooDogs,
I don't think the Magpul trigger guard is legal. But I have seen folk let the straight trigger guard swing loose.

Last edited by ChrisF; 10/12/09.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
okey dokey - I stand corrected

smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks Chris. Since trigger was mentioned, and I do not wish to start a trigger war. I do have the 2 stage RRA trigger in both my AR15 rifles.

Reason one is cost. Reason two is I tune them (springs and disconnector) for 3 1/2# 1st stage, 1 1/8# second stage. I'll probably never be measured where I shoot for now, but I like being a scootch over the 4 1/2# minimum.

For me, I don't notice the first stage take-up pressure.

GOA
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks Chris, great post.

You are correct. I have the mid length upper with 1:9 twist and it's not a NM barrel. The plan is to have fun with what I have now and go for the keeper barrel later. Kinda like when I was young and single. Date now, marry later. grin

I have already decided I will go for the trigger upgrade first. I'll be taking it out to the range Thursday but I can already tell I do NOT like the standard trigger. Oh well, I was tired of waiting for RRA to deliver my rifle so I took what was available. Now to continue trigger shopping.

I'm going to stick with RRA parts as much as possible but I think I might be able to find a trigger out there for less than the $120 average price I've found so far. Since I have done little to no hands on maintenance to any of my weapons, how difficult will it be for a novice to drop a NM trigger in? Is it easier to just take it to a smith and let him install, adjust trigger pull, etc?

I have the one 30 round mag you saw in the picture and I also have one 20 round mag right now that's legal for competition. I need more though, lot's more. (I was warned this was gonna get expensive).

Thanks guys, great info here.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
AFE, these are the mags I use and have had zero issues with. http://www.44mag.com/prodinfo.asp?number=NH20 NHMTG straight body 20 round. Good price too.

Installing a RRA trigger is fairly painless, but I do have a bit of skill and experience tinkering with firearms. There is plenty of illustrated "how to" info on the net for trigger installs if you wish to learn this skill. You may be best off having the work done otherwise.

A nice handload is 53gr fbhp Hornady or Sierra Mk & 23.5 gr H322, 2.25" aol. accurate in a 1-9 bbl.

GOA
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

69 members (6MMWASP, 257_X_50, 907brass, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, AKislander, 8 invisible), 1,465 guests, and 753 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,538
Posts18,531,077
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.