Print Thread
Hop To
G
Gobble Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
I bought this rifle a few months ago. Finally got some glass on it and took it to the range. I took some REM 130 grain and some Winchester Supreme elite 130 grain I could not get either one of them to shoot in less than two inch groups. I asked a buddy and he gave me a couple of his hanloads 150 grain pretty hot loads they would not group either. Where do I go from Here?
I can hunt with what I got out of it but I am not happy with that this gun it is supposed to shoot. Should I try the federal fusions? If they dont want to shoot send it back to them?

GB1

zxc Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i have a few sako's as well as friends. they all shoot as advertized, 5 shot 1" group. I don't think its the ammo although some will shoot better than others. i would check all fasteners on rifle and scope mounting system, then the scope its self , check if crown is damaged then the shooter.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
First suspect would be the scope. Make sure everything's tight. Fusion's might be worth a try. They're the most accurate factory ammo I've tried(although I don't shoot many factory loads). But my Sakos tend to shoot most loads about the same. Sako's usually aren't fussy. Try to stay with 140's with the 270wsm. IMO that's the sweet spot.

G
Gobble Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
thank you for your reply i was thinking about taking the scope off and starting all over. I am not real comfortable with the opti lock rings so I will try again. The scope seem to adjust well just would not group. Have maybe one more trip to the range before gun season. Need to nail it down by then. I really like the balance and feel of the rifle. Just have to get it to shoot.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Gobble
I bought this rifle a few months ago. Finally got some glass on it and took it to the range. I took some REM 130 grain and some Winchester Supreme elite 130 grain I could not get either one of them to shoot in less than two inch groups. I asked a buddy and he gave me a couple of his hanloads 150 grain pretty hot loads they would not group either. Where do I go from Here?
I can hunt with what I got out of it but I am not happy with that this gun it is supposed to shoot. Should I try the federal fusions? If they dont want to shoot send it back to them?
...........Scope rings and bases tight? Try some more different factory ammo and if the problem is still there, I`d start with the scope first. There could be a loose reticle. The best way to pinpoint a scope as the problem, is to put another scope on that rifle that you know to be A-OK. If the groups tighten up with the same ammo, then you have a scope issue.

Secondly! Are you allowing enough time between shots for barrel cooling?

Start with the simplest fix-its first.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I have a sako 75 in 270 wsm. The gun is kinda picky about what it will shoot. Mine shot alot of loads in the 1 to 1.5 inch range until I finally loaded some imr 4350 and 130 gr ballistic tip or accubond. It will shoot this load in the .5 to .6 range for three shots at 100 yards. This load is not extremely fast it averages 3206 fps 15 foot in front of the muzzle. Load that same load with H4350 and groups open up to at least a 1.25 inches. Mine also likes RL 25 and a 140 grain bullet but again the load only average around 3200 fps. With 130 grain bullet I have never gotten mine to 3300 fps even though alot of people say they can.
Dink

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Give me a good price and I'll buy it. laugh

Sako's have a good reputation and I haven't had one that wouldn't shoot. Check the scope then check the bedding job.

Last edited by mliang; 11/06/09.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Gobble,
I have a Wby. Vanguard SubMOA in .270 WSM.
It achieved its sub moa-ness with Winchester's 150 gr. PowerPoint ammo.

This is the ONLY factory ammo I have found that will give any decent accuracy with this rifle, and I tried 5 or 6 different brands and bullet weights/types.

With handloads, however, I found some very accurate combinations. Nosler 130 gr. and 150 gr. Partitions, pushed at 3250 fps and 3140 fps respectively, easily stay sub moa.

Keep trying, you will likely find one or two combos that work well in your rifle.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I have a Sako 75 in .270 wsm synthetic stainless I have only shot 2 factory loads one being 150gr winchester power points
and the other being federal supreme 140 gr accubonds. Of the
two the power points shot about 3\4 moa was very loud and a
very sharp pronounced kick. The accubonds was very smooth &
was were not even close to being anywhere near as loud and
shot 1\2 moa or better. The noise & recoil was like shooting
two different guns. I also have two boxes of 140gr accubonds
made by winchester that I have not shot yet. As good as it
shoots I rarely hunt with it as it feels some what heavy to
me after years of hunting with a Weatherby ultralight .280
rem. I used to wish I had bought the finnlight instead of a
synthetic stainless but it shoots so well I should not care.
I also shot the winchester 130gr ballistic silver tip which
also shot one inch moa.

Last edited by BlackRifle; 11/07/09.
J
jmj Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I've got a Finnlight in 270. It shoots sub moa with anything you run thru it. I'm guessing scope problem. I did have another gun (won't mention brands) that wouldn't shoot for crap. Bought a box of Tubb's barrel conditioning bullets. Followed the instructions and believe it or not, she started grouping. Not sub MOA but pretty good for what it is.
I don't remember exactly what you call the bullets, I think I got them from Midway USA

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I just sighted in a Sako 85 in 7 Wsm for a friend. It shot 140 Ballistic Silvertips (commercial Winchester) to 2" at 100 yards. It would not group the Federal Premium 140 Accubonds under 4". It shot Federal Premium 160 Barnes TSX at 1/2". I felt sure that it would have stacked the Barnes 160's under 1" had I kept shooting. But commercial ammo is expensive.

These guns are guaranteed to shoot 1" five shot groups but that doesn't mean it will do so with every brand or type of ammo you run through them. To expect them to do so would be unreasonable. There are exceptions to the rules in every commodity though.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Reloder28
I just sighted in a Sako 85 in 7 Wsm for a friend.

Are you sure it was a 7WSM?
I wasn't aware that Sako chambered the 85 for that cartridge.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (1Longbow, 1234, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 59 invisible), 2,422 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,423
Posts18,470,700
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.