Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
it seems this buck was poached.

I see on the morning news today that the shooter was charged with multiple charges for poaching this and at least 1 other deer.- Should be more info on the evening news.

Never tell your problems to anyone. 20% don't care and 80% are glad you have em.
GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Did this moron really think with a buck that big, no one was going to mention he already shot one? Working with the DNR here sometimes, through hunters safety, they tell some great stories about how dumb some of these guys are.

It's usually x-wifes and girlfriends that do them in. Or jelous hunting partners.

Camp is where you make it.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Too bad he was poached. So many times we read about giant bucks turning out to be poached. I suppose the sight of one is so exciting that it causes a marginally honest person to take the dishonest route.

My brother and I were harrassed by a Colorado game warden who made a U-turn on the highway and held us up for about 45 minutes "checking us" over a real good buck. But the more I learn, I don't mind wardens looking out for the wildlife even if they can be a little overbearing sometimes.
Big bucks are often routinely investigated, I had an Alberta warden call me a couple of months after I had got home one year, just to question things, but that's OK with me.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
The USFS did that to me and my BIL in the Nat. Forest in norther WI. They were looking for something to get us for. Followed us for 8 miles. I stopped to let them go by, and they pulled over behind us. I started to go again, and so did they.

I finally had enough and stopped to walk a trail that we had no intention of hunting. They said they wanted to make sure we didn't pull over to far on the side of the road and kill the vegitation, and to make sure we knew there was no ATV's allowed in that area. Which was BS because we had no atv in the back of the Ford Explorer we were in.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by tzone
The USFS did that to me and my BIL in the Nat. Forest in norther WI. They were looking for something to get us for. Followed us for 8 miles. I stopped to let them go by, and they pulled over behind us. I started to go again, and so did they.

I finally had enough and stopped to walk a trail that we had no intention of hunting. They said they wanted to make sure we didn't pull over to far on the side of the road and kill the vegitation, and to make sure we knew there was no ATV's allowed in that area. Which was BS because we had no atv in the back of the Ford Explorer we were in.

And your explorer may have fit the description of something or someone that was reported.... you just don't know. They have a hard job.
Kinda like my buddy who is our local sergeant in town. I was talking with him the other night when he came to get 2 AR lowers. Asked him what would happen if he pulled me over and I refused a search... well he laughs and says of course nothing with me, but in other instances one just doesn't know. But he says if he pulls one over that has bumper stickers like mine he is going to a threat level due to knowing there has to be a weapon somewhere. Point being you just dont' know what they know.
Of course that opens it all up for any LEO to be a complete [bleep] for no legit reason at all, but you'd never prove it.

I used to mouth off, hearing of folks pulled over, and the wardens dig through all their stuff and pull it out of the vehicle etc... and then say ok, and walk off, not replacing it etc.... I used to would have gotten badge numbers and written nasty letters... nowdays I offer to take anything apart they want to see, but I still am stubborn about vehicle searches for some reason. You want to see in my trunk, fine, I"ll open it for you and take anythign out... but you ain't doing it on your own without a warrant.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Friend of mine who lives in Winona told me about this a few days after the deer was taken, shame some idiot has to screw things up for some legit hunter.

I hope they throw the book at the guy and give him the max fines/penalties (but we all know they won't).

Been a few other very nice deer taken over that way this year and last. Wish our SDGF&Parks would actually start managing our deer herds rather than just declaring genocide on them.

Last edited by cal74; 11/13/09.

Life is just one damned thing after another
C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I'm certainly hoping that his hunting privileges are revoked for life and even his firearms, bows etc, taken away. I'm not sure jail time would be enough for a guy like this..

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The USFS did that to me and my BIL in the Nat. Forest in norther WI. They were looking for something to get us for.

A MN license plate in WI, that is enough isn't it?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

GUILTY!

Have an A1 Day!
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by rost495

And your explorer may have fit the description of something or someone that was reported.... you just don't know. They have a hard job.
Kinda like my buddy who is our local sergeant in town. I was talking with him the other night when he came to get 2 AR lowers. Asked him what would happen if he pulled me over and I refused a search... well he laughs and says of course nothing with me, but in other instances one just doesn't know. But he says if he pulls one over that has bumper stickers like mine he is going to a threat level due to knowing there has to be a weapon somewhere. Point being you just dont' know what they know.
Of course that opens it all up for any LEO to be a complete [bleep] for no legit reason at all, but you'd never prove it.

I used to mouth off, hearing of folks pulled over, and the wardens dig through all their stuff and pull it out of the vehicle etc... and then say ok, and walk off, not replacing it etc.... I used to would have gotten badge numbers and written nasty letters... nowdays I offer to take anything apart they want to see, but I still am stubborn about vehicle searches for some reason. You want to see in my trunk, fine, I"ll open it for you and take anythign out... but you ain't doing it on your own without a warrant.

Jeff

Well, It wasn't my Explorer, it was my BIL's, and he's a cop. We sure wern't doing anything wrong, and didn't have anything to hide. Even he thought it was a bit obnoxious.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Shoulda taken a picture. Unusual to have a USFS employee in the woods anymore. Easier to find them in an office....grin

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by sgt217
Shoulda taken a picture. Unusual to have a USFS employee in the woods anymore. Easier to find them in an office....grin

No doubt. smile

It was a few years ago, near Butternut.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Medium tall thin guy looked kinda scared?

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Yes, actually. I can give you his name if you want.... that wasn't our last run in with him. apparently He is or was out trying to make a name for himself.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
young or older?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This corner of MN is a sleeper when it comes to monster bucks.
Hopefully some day we'll get one in our property. Here's last year's monster from the southeast boot tip. (about 11 miles from my old stompin grounds)

http://www.lake-link.com/images/forumphotos/00lead.jpg

http://www.rivervalleynewspapers.com/articles/2008/10/17/outdoors/lamb.txt

...new laws were most numerous when the commonwealth was most corrupt. ~ Publius Cornelius Tacitus
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Aileinduinn
This corner of MN is a sleeper when it comes to monster bucks.
Hopefully some day we'll get one in our property. Here's last year's monster from the southeast boot tip. (about 11 miles from my old stompin grounds)

http://www.lake-link.com/images/forumphotos/00lead.jpg

http://www.rivervalleynewspapers.com/articles/2008/10/17/outdoors/lamb.txt

I've never gotten shaky aiming a weapon at anything that wasn't able to shoot back, but I think that buck would get my heart rate up to around 200 bpm in an instant.

I think I need to start hunting south instead of north.....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
WOW!!!

30-06 till i die, the greatest round ever!

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!

CEO of a Turdlike People: Turds & Tats Division... (per Ingwe grin )
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
the last 3 ten points I shot in the texas hill country weigh little more than that 310 pound buck. I don't know why northern whitetails are listed in the same record book as smaller southern deer. but even in Texas the size of deer vary greatly region by region.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by goalie

I've never gotten shaky aiming a weapon at anything that wasn't able to shoot back, but I think that buck would get my heart rate up to around 200 bpm in an instant.

I think I need to start hunting south instead of north.....

If you're serious and you hunt muzzle loader, shoot me a PM. I know that its probably during hockey but maybe we can work something out.

...new laws were most numerous when the commonwealth was most corrupt. ~ Publius Cornelius Tacitus
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

200 members (21, 160user, 35, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 21 invisible), 12,275 guests, and 1,101 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,230
Posts18,544,040
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.