Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Levers

Not to hijack the thread but, the Post Office around here won't cash postal money orders unless they're for very small amounts. Does most everybody take their postal money orders to the PO to cash? I've tried several times and finally given up.....

Local PO will cash "IF" they have the money - which they usually don't. And when they do, they don't seem happy. Rather have a MO from Wally World.

It's not that Liberals are unwilling to listen to another point of view, they are just simply amazed that another one exists.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
PO is required to cash them. Call ahead and tell them you will have a MO for X dollars and please have cash ready. They will comply if they are anything like the ones around here. Their rules state they must do so...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I do not agree that the rifle should be sent to the FFl w/o talking or speaking to him first.

I had a similar situation 2 years ago and sent the rifle to the FFL. He had no idea who the rifle was for and he thought it was some kind of "set up" to get him burned by BATF. He immediatly called BATF and complained. BATF a actually came to my house while I was out of town. Put the fear of God into my wife. It took about three months to get it all straightened out. I don't know if the original person that bought the gun ever even picked up even though he paid for it. Emails to him were unanswered.
I have no idea what the final outcome was, but I had to produce the original bill of sale from when I initially purchased the firearm. I never again heard from the dealer, the BATF, or the buyer, and I cashed his MO.

From that point on in addition to the FFL holder I also require name, address,and phone number of purchaser or I don't sell.

BTW the PO anywhere I have been usually will not cash MO if they are much over $50.00

LC

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think Art is right on. The fellow sent the M.O., the FFL, send him his gun. It has to go to the FFL anyway so you don't need the purchaser's adress.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
lefty
"...but I had to produce the original bill of sale from when I initially purchased the firearm..."

Why? NOTHING says you have to keep ANY records. Three months to straighten out what? You sent gun to FFL... DONE DEAL! If buyer did not get permission from FFL first he might have an issue. If FFL forgot about buyer, he might have an issue. You, on the other hand, got your money and moved your gun... END of story.

Nothing says you have to maintain records, period.
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ship it, the FFL is probably expecting it and knows who the guy is.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
make him wait for it.If hes reading your emails,and not responding,Id make him wait for it.Likewise with the FFL.He doesnt have a phone? How does he call in transfers?

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
And just why would you delay shipping on somebody else's gun?

Why would you assume he has no phone? Simply because the seller could not find one does not mean he does not have one... Could just be the phone is unlisted, under a different name, or the seller screwed up on the search.

If it were my gun and some idiot was holding up shipping for the reasons stated I would be none too happy... There are lots of reasons why the buyer might not be answering emails... None of which have a bloody thing to do with getting the good faith purchaser that which he paid for more than a week ago...
art

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Levers
Not to hijack the thread but, the Post Office around here won't cash postal money orders unless they're for very small amounts. Does most everybody take their postal money orders to the PO to cash? I've tried several times and finally given up.....

I've just generally cashed postal money orders at the bank, never had any issues.

Back on topic, I wouldn't send the rifle to the FFL without any info with whom it truely belongs to. But I would also try to contact the FFL and see if they know who the transfer was for and if they know take down their name and any info you can for your own records if there is any other problems.

If you find out any info from the FFL and do indeed send it, I'd still send a PM with whatever info you have along with the tracking info.

Life is just one damned thing after another
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by Colorado1135

I agree. Insure it, get the $3 delivery confirmation. Once the gun gets there who cares? Your end is covered. Keep the receipts.

When I am expecting a gun at my ffl's I call them daily or every two days. That is my job as a buyer. If he never piks it up....so what?

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Please just SHIP THE DARN THING before art blows a gasket. Besides, it's the right thing to do

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You received payment in good faith. Why haven't you shipped the gun?

g

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by GeoW
You received payment in good faith. Why haven't you shipped the gun?

g

Cuz in good conscience, he doesn't want to send the rifle to the FFL without the buyer's name on it. The FFL might be a small outfit or a big one and if it is big, he doesn't want the firearm to be lost in the crowd. He attempted to contact the FFL to check but is unable. This one reason I always get a cell phone to call if I have any questions. I also provide my own.

Art, just so you don't complete blow a gasket, I completly agree with you on the lack of record keeping for private sales.

RH

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If the FFL was a big outfit they would have a listed phone number, no? The guy has been holding the gun for over a week and were it me I would be mighty pissed. I may not be in that position, but realize it is the seller's fault 100% that he failed to keep the buyer's name and address.

Buyer completed his end, FFL info and a postal money order. As stated earlier there is a reason PMOs are prefered... Shipping should be immediate as seller can get his money instantly without fear of fraud.

Buyer also provided all of the details seller is holding out for, but failed to keep... The whole deal is a very poor show IMO on the part of seller. Continuing to be a dick about it compounds the lack of basic business courtesy.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
just to put wrench into works,what if buyer is felon scooped ffl number [what does ffl stand for] is seller in trouble if felon ends up with gun///////.norm confused

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That is one of many reasons why BATFE no longer wants FFL copies sent or exchanged. They want the shipper to check the FFL eZcheck website and verify the FFL is current and the shipping address posted is the only one the seller may ship to.

The FFL receives the gun and does the background check.

When people insist on a hard copy of the FFL it is not to be trusted and does them no good.

Nonlicensed sellers are under no obligation to screen their buyers.
art

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Remind me not to buy anything from pike3. --- Mel

The only thing I'm an expert at is my own opinion, and I have plenty of those!
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
By law the FFL is supposed to reject any firearm shipped to them without a clear understanding of who the gun goes to. So if you mail the rifle and the FFl gets it and it doesn't have a name on it he's supposed to send it back.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
In my opinion...ship the gun posthaste to the FFL Attn'ing it to the buyer. Make sure you include a copy of your drivers license info so the FFL can enter it into his boundbook. Get tracking info/insurance on the item and if it arrives to the FFL in good condition,you've completed your obligation...end of story.

This is traditionally how it's done, if you expected different you should have stated that from the beginning.

edited to add: If the signed-in-ink FFL was with the payment, it's the buyer/FFL's responsibility to coordinate it.

Last edited by falcon007; 11/10/09.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Colorado1135

Ditto...Also your bank can call the P.O. & verify the numbers & amount for usps M.O.'s
Send the gun. But do a verification of the ez check with the atf.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

322 members (264mag, 17CalFan, 2500HD, 160user, 257 mag, 1shotnokilz, 28 invisible), 16,983 guests, and 1,000 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,881
Posts18,538,369
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
Yesterday at 04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.