Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Crimson Tide:

I don't have a clue as what your problem is with Hornady dies.

I have 41 die sets, mostly RCBS, with a few Hornady, Lyman, Dillon, Redding, & Forster match dies to fill out the balance. I have been reloading for close to 50 years now, and have turned out thousands, upon thousands of loaded cartridges. I not only load them, I cast the bullets, stamp out my gas checks (if needed), & size & lube bullets to fit my various calibers.

My point is, out of all the dies I�ve owned, (many more than I have on hand now), Hornady has always been at least on par with RCBS, and is a better made die than either Dillon, or Lee (IMHO). Hornady�s customer service line, while not quite as good as RCBS, is very good none the less.

Of course, they are not up to the quality of Forster/Redding Bench rest dies. But then again, they don't sell for near the prices of bench rest dies either. Nor are they marketed as such.

If, or when, I need a new die set, and the set needed is not for a bench rifle, I wouldn�t hesitate to buy a set of Hornady dies.

Richard

Cat, the other white meat!
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I think I know where some more factory ammo is. Check your PMs.

RH

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I like the RCBS and Redding dies are great also. I'm not a lee fan.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Here's the deal Thumper, you gotta stop with all the reasons you can't start up handloading at this time. Just do it. Get a starter kit somewhere, RCBS has a great one, and add a .358 Win die set with a Full Length sizer die and Bullet Seater die. I have Hornady, Redding and RCBS. Bro-in-law puts together jam up ammo with Lee. They all work. Just follow the directions and ask questions. If there's nobody close by that loads just get on here and ask. Scroll down and you'll find the handloading forum.

For way too long I bought factory ammo, (including Weatherby!!) then later depended on my bro-in-law to help me load when we visited them. Finally got an RCBS kit for Father's Day, built a simple bench, read a lot, axed a lot of questions, and bing-bang-boom, now I'm a Perfessional Amateur Handloader (Should we start a PAH Society??) and never run out of ammo I have brass & dies for.

The only thing you'll ever regret is not starting sooner, as long as you don't start trying to find all the money you're supposed to be saving. The only drawback I've found is never having enough dies. Heck, I'd like to try loading for calibers I don't even have a rifle for. Anyway, just do it.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by shootem
Here's the deal Thumper, you gotta stop with all the reasons you can't start up handloading at this time. Just do it. Get a starter kit somewhere, RCBS has a great one, and add a .358 Win die set with a Full Length sizer die and Bullet Seater die. I have Hornady, Redding and RCBS. Bro-in-law puts together jam up ammo with Lee. They all work. Just follow the directions and ask questions. If there's nobody close by that loads just get on here and ask. Scroll down and you'll find the handloading forum.

For way too long I bought factory ammo, (including Weatherby!!) then later depended on my bro-in-law to help me load when we visited them. Finally got an RCBS kit for Father's Day, built a simple bench, read a lot, axed a lot of questions, and bing-bang-boom, now I'm a Perfessional Amateur Handloader (Should we start a PAH Society??) and never run out of ammo I have brass & dies for.

The only thing you'll ever regret is not starting sooner, as long as you don't start trying to find all the money you're supposed to be saving. The only drawback I've found is never having enough dies. Heck, I'd like to try loading for calibers I don't even have a rifle for. Anyway, just do it.

well said...
and something i need to do myself.
i will be taking some of your advice...thanks!

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
FWIW, I used to use Superior Ammo and they always did a good job for me. I handload now, so have not bought a box from them in a couple of years.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Man, I REALLY hate to hear this!

I asked about them here back during the summer, and everyone who responded had nothing but good things to say about Conleys.
I ordered a box of .260 Rem loaded with the 120 Barnes TSX and fell in love with the loads. They were on the "over run" list, and I got them in like 4 days after placing the order.

Reloading is really not a option for me. I don't shoot enough to justify the initial costs, but I can't find a factory load with the Barnes in .260 Rem.

I guess I'll be contacting superior ammo also.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
... but wouldn't buy a set of Hornady dies under any circumstances.

That is an interesting comment. Obviously many people like them. While they aren't my favorite in every way, the Pacific and Hornady, Durachrome and New Dimension dies I use produce very good ammo. I can't think of any hunting I do where Redding or other "better" brands would matter. There is one company's whose dies I prefer not to buy based on a personal experience. However, that was probably simply an isolated deal so I won't name them.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the prodding Shootem. I don't doubt that once I start I will regret not having started sooner. Honestly though in the past I may have put it off for other reasons, but the only thing holding me back now is lack of funds + hunting season and the holidays knocking at the door. I actually had this rifle built to force me into reloading. I was just gonna buy loaded ammo to get me through this season. Nobody I know reloads so I have to rely solely on the internet for advice.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Just funnin' you a little. Believe me I understand "funds" better than most. There's some things I've done regularly up till now that I'm leaving off too. Shame you don't live around Mooresville, I believe we could work something out. Good luck anyway.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
In all fairness I am reporting that I did get my refund after getting my bank involved in this mess. This is a huge lesson...don't ever pay for anything by check or moneyorder if you can possibly avoid it. Without my bank I would have had no way to get this money back. Thanks to all for the positive support.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good post about not looking for all the money you will save. I just got set up for 270 win with dies bullets etc as she bought one and wanted to shoot. Here in Canada dies are about 40 bucks for RCBS and 30 for Lee so I went RCBS. My cost with buying brass, bullets powder and primers within the last month with Barnes TSX initial cost 36 bucks a box, 24 a box reloading the brass. Using Hornady or Sierra is 24 first time and 12.50 after that. I have not bought factory for quite a few years but even 36 for custom fitted and loaded ammo for the first box does not seem cheap. I am a picker up of brass, so only buy brass for a new calibre. This year has been a tough one on me as I have started new with 257 bob, 270 win and 30-06. It turns out I had a set of 06 dies I had forgotten about so felt a little silly when my wife went to the counter and pulled them out when I showed her my brand new set...OH well

Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Be glad you did not get the ammo. A couple of years ago I was really short on time and ordered from him. I usually roll my own. When I received them, several would not chamber. I honestly believe he simply primed, charged and seated the bullet. Shot a few over the chronograph, supposed to be 2400 FPS, how about 5 shots average of 2058. He had all the excuses when I called him. Bottom line is he will never get any money from me again.

NRA Patron Member.
B
B
boy I wish I would have seen this post along time ago. I ordered from Conley precision a year ago in April. finally had to demand my money back as they never would send me the ammo I ordered and when I finally get them to refund my money,after a year, they kept a third of it. Now I am hoping mad, and have sent them emails and telephone calls and there is no response from them at all. (imagine that) Any advice? A company like this shouldn't be allowed to do business.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
funny, I bought one time from them several years ago for an odd pistol cartridge because their loaded price was not much higher than the price of the properly head stamped brass. Guy was nice, and helpful and I got my order in no time. Ammo was great. In fact, I may have some lyin' around still. Guess when the economy gets bad it brings out the true nature of some of these companies.

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Sorry that happened the first time. The second not so much.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
A wise person once told me that if you want to be disappointed, put your faith in other people.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
C
C
I purchased over $300.00 dollars of ammo from this company in Nov./Dec. 2008 and never received it so in August 2009 I canceled the order. They never refunded my money so in October 2009 I sent them an impolite email and they responded that I was in a lawsuit and to never contact them again. It's now November and I still haven't received my refund.

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
This kind of stuff makes a person nuts. I don't know the situation in your respective states but we do actually have an advocate here and they get results. Our state's attorney general is a serious character. Gotta love him. His office will go to bat for ordinary people and take on companies that operate like this, large or small. I've used their good offices several times for business related situations and a couple of times for personal stuff. We have a lot of bottom feeders show up in WV. You may have the same kind of resources available or you may already have checked that out. FWIW. Rooster

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
FWIW Double Tap Ammo was very good to deal with when I needed some 10mm Auto rounds recently. Almost ordered some of their .358 loads. They have three different varieties and all were in stock, I just decided to shoot some older Silvertips I found at a local gun store this season.

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (219DW, 160user, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 219 Wasp, 12344mag, 60 invisible), 11,896 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,250
Posts18,544,406
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.