Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B

I have done some light reading on these rifles and I was wondering what the general opinion of these rifles are by some owners? I have always liked old school rifles, as I have primarily have hunted with a vintage savage 99 for several years.

Recently I have thought about a pre 64, but I do not have any experience with them. Thoughts? Suggestions and further websites with more detailed information regarding these rifles would be appreicated. thank you

Memento mori ( remember you must die) enjoy every day for tomorrow you may not wake

You can always borrow and pay the money back but you can never get the time back

Everyone hunter should own a fine rifle, life is short.
GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I think they're the best production rifle ever made. Especially if you like "old school" rifles. Stick to guns made 1952 and earlier for the best examples IME.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I know where there are a couple NICE m70. PM if interested.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Boxerdog

I have done some light reading on these rifles and I was wondering what the general opinion of these rifles are by some owners?
Generally considered some of the best hunting rifles ever..
Recently I have thought about a pre 64, but I do not have any experience with them. Thoughts? Suggestions and further websites with more detailed information regarding these rifles would be appreicated. thank you
If you can find a book called "The Rifleman's Rifle" by Roger Rule, (maybe a larger library??) and do some intense reading, it'll tell you all you need to know..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My attitude is that I think it would be hard for you to go wrong. My pr-64, Mod. 70, .270 Win. shoots 3/4" groups all day with a 150 Partition. My NEW (about 2 years old) KIMBER Montana thinks it's a shotgun with those bullets. I oughta have more pre-64's and [bleep] the KIMBER.
Bear in Fairbanks

Last edited by Bear_in_Fairbanks; 11/09/09.

"Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes."
Amazingly, I've lived long enough to see a President who is worse than Carter.
And finally,
Gun control means using two hands.

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I can't get excited about them, although I love the M70 Classic. Concerned about how they handle primer/case failures and such. And they are built a little light for the HH case.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by RyanScott
I can't get excited about them, although I love the M70 Classic. Concerned about how they handle primer/case failures and such. And they are built a little light for the HH case.

I can't get excited about the Kimbers either. It's fun to search for, collect and use M70's though. They're great rifles with an aura surrounding them. There's lots of information out there about them. Good luck in your search.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
All those comments from experience?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have two of them in .270 and .375 H&H.....best shooting rifles I own.

"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." Ten Bears
NRA Benefactor LIfe Member
USCG Veteran
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by RyanScott

.........huh...............? confused

What's the "such"...??? .................too light for what H&H?

Last edited by BobinNH; 11/09/09.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Bear_in_Fairbanks
...... I oughta have more pre-64's and [bleep] the KIMBER.
Bear in Fairbanks

Jolly good idea.... cool grin

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Boxerdog,

I cant give a higher recommendation for them. Very, very high quality. Blue steel and wood done right.

RAS

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They are a wonderful rifle IMO. I own a couple dozen of them, and have enjoyed reading Jack O'Connor, Roger Rule, Dean Whitaker and others regarding the Model 70. I love to collect, shoot, and hunt with these fine rifles.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I started with a classic, liked the rifle very much. Was thinking about trying the original when my local shop put a 1950 STD 30-06 up for sale. It was pretty beat up so I refinished the stock, re-checkered, etc. Took it out for load development, H4350 & 180 Interlock, mulitple charges shot 3/4" for 5-shot groups. Thats it, load development was done! Took it out deer hunting last year, and ending up taking a nice brownie with it. I would klike to get another 30-06, this time an early fwt, I am keeping my eyes peeled. Great rifle imo.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
M
Mak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have owned 2 pre-64 model 70's, both in 30-06. In both cases, the guns were completely reliable. The Mauser style action never failed to chamber each and every round, or to eject even unfired cartridges. I liked the drop of the stock, which made it possible to actually use the iron sights, something I had to do more than once.
Problem with both was worn barrels. My pre-WW2 example also developed headspace issues, and my 1950's version always left the head of the cartridge brass with a disturbing ring, most likely due to an interesting chamber shape. Probably because of this, neither shot all that well, minute of Elk was about all they could muster.
After a while, I got to thinking that if I had to pack a large scoped cannon around, I wanted one that would shoot!
I thought over my options, and since I'm more a shooter than a collector, I brought them to my old time ffl. and put the funds into a new weapon. The result was a brand new Supergrade model 70 in of course, 30-06. One of the last ones to come from the New Haven plant.
No, it does not have the old one piece bolt, nor the barrel screw, nor iron sights. It does not stir the soul with visions of red plaid and Jack O'Connor. What it does do is shoot, and shoot accurately. I have really threaded the needle with this gun, taking a shot through brush that I would never have attempted with either of my pre-'64s. The Supergrade handles about as well as the old one's, all three have the rather ponderous feel of a large and substantial gun-but then, I am used to fast handling leverguns.
It may be that if my old pre-64s had been in better condition I might have had different experience, but the truth, without a lot of poetry or emotion is that the Supergrade is the better gun.
I think if you like to pursue the pre-64's, you are getting an excellent rifle, but there is a reason why they make new guns as well.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I wouldn't use any thing else on a serious hunt. Imho they are simply the finest production bolt action HUNTING rifles ever made. I have a few now, but of course not as many as I would like.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Those that don't like 'm...you're free to go now,your bus is waiting outside....

I have done myself wrong on these rifles over the years,I must confess that I have talked about them too much and now I do not own as many as I would like....

Tips from the gray area..buy condition,condition,condition. Leave the Bubba guns for projects....

Warning to "newbies",they DO NOT contain plastic or any component's similar to a Bic lighter...

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great rifles, have owned several over the years, down to two now. Like Mak reports above, I had one with a bad factory chamber, a .30-06 SPRG FW made in 1963. Instead of selling it off I ordered a Douglas Premium barrel - they still catalog the pre-64 FW barrels. Now mine is a MOA .270 WIN pre-64 M70FW. As long as there are new barrels my pre-64's should continue to hunt.

[Linked Image]

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Pre 64 Model 70's are over rated, and over priced.
I never bought one, and probably never will, due to their over inflated prices. Nostalgia is the only reason they command the high prices they get for them.
There are far better rifles avaialble, for far less money.
I think that some Post 64's are a better made rifle.
I personally think that the older Browning Safari Grades with the Mauser actions FAR out classed any pre 64 Model 70, and BRNO Model 21's left the pre 64's in the dust, as far as QUALITY is concerned.
The parts interchangeability of Pre 64 Model 70's was terrible, from a production point of view. Most Pre 64's had to have parts hand fitted to get them out the factory door, which indicates a VERY POOR basic design.
My Rem 722's were a FAR better designed rifle, although not embelished like the Pre 64's, and accuracy from a 722 trumped Pre 64's to the point that Winchester had to terminate production of the Pre 64's.
I'll take a Model 54 over a Pre 64 Model 70 any day, for a whole lot less money.

This ought to start a major forest fire.. grin

Don

Edit to add: I'll take my new FN Model 70 over any Pre 74 Model 70 any day, for a WHOLE lot less money. Nostalgia ain't worth much to me.

Last edited by DMB; 11/10/09.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I guess I should get a trash can...
[Linked Image]

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

187 members (12344mag, 270cowboy, 1lesfox, 44mc, 35, 10Glocks, 18 invisible), 1,093 guests, and 944 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,846
Posts18,517,426
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.