Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 340boy
Originally Posted by Brad
I sold them, never wanted to use one. Heavy. Don't compress well. Temp ratings overly optimistic. I wouldn't give Jerry Wigutow a dime of my money as he's an abrasive sort of a higher order..

Apart from that they're perfectly fine for car camping or the military.

Agree.
Though I haven't used one, I have seen plenty of Wiggy's attitude as well as Taylor's attitude on this forum.
I wouldn't ever do business with them, I don't care how good the bags were.
Let me ask you an honest question. Do you know Marc Taylor? Have you ever talked to him on the phone or in person? Ever met him face to face? Or do you always judge folks by how the act on the internet? There's a few posters in this very thread that come across as an a$$hole 99% of the time but I bet their great guys in person. Folks commenting on something they have never used seems to be a common thing when Wiggys bags are brought up.

As for the Wiggys bags, I use an Ultra-Light 20 degree bag and it's the only bag I use on all my hunts, unless i'm sleeping in a big wall tent with a wood stove. I sleep in poly pro johns and have never been cold or got wet in it. I've worn wet clothes in my bag and got up the next morning to find that they were bone dry, though the outside of my bag did have some condensation on it. I'm not posting this to try and drum up business for Wiggy or Taylor, they do fine on their own and don't need any help from me or anyone else. If you want to use a WM bag or a Kifaru then my all means, go for it but don't make comments on something you know nothing about.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I know plenty about how Wiggy and Taylor act on here-since folks on the internet are also potential customers, their behavior doesn't speak well to me,not at all.
I don't do business with people like that,end of story.

If you know them personally and like their products, I have no problem with that.
But I stick with my statement, and if you don't like it, that is your right, also.

Last edited by 340boy; 11/12/09. Reason: change end of post.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 340boy
I know plenty about how Wiggy and Taylor act on here-since folks on the internet are also potential customers, their behavior doesn't speak well to me,not at all.
I don't do business with people like that,end of story.

If you know them personally and like their products, I have no problem with that.
But I stick with my statement, and if you don't like it, that is your right, also.
Like I said, I'm not trying to drudge business for either so I don't care where or what you buy. Bad mouthing someone you don't know doesn't help your cause in trying to sway folks into not doing business with them. All i'm saying is before folks jump on the bandwagon and bash someone they don't know, they should at least talk to them and find out for themselves if their a-holes or not. Apparently YMMV.

Steelhead

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Also,Ak;
When I joined this forum about 3 years ago, I was looking into replacing 2 or 3 of my old bags.
I did a search on Wiggy's as they did sound like a good product, even if somewhat heavy- and stumbled across the man's notes or whatever, on his site.
I was not favorable impressed, to say the least.
I kept up with these sleeping bag threads on here and noticed Taylor's behavior.
I came to the conclusion that I wanted nothing to do with Wiggy's and over the last 2 1/2 years have spent 1500 dollars or so on other makers bags, which I am very satisfied with.
So, long story made short, I do judge people by their behavior on the internet, especially business people.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Wasn't either wiggy or taylor who prompted our purchase, in fact they almost both made the deal unworkable. But we did and its worked out.

As far as [bleep], well I never thought that was a good way to run a business, but a few here and there still work out even with their arrogant know it all attitudes and such is life.

I know if I ran a business like they did I"d be broke from lack of customers though.

While both may be just fine, I suspect Mark is better than Jerry actually and Mark is probably a super fine person but seems to have learned his sales tactics from jerry.... just saying....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Beanman, I never owned one and am far from a subject matter expert. But a guy does get a hefty walk-through-the-door discount if you buy one in person. Not sure how much that might play into the mix.

C
CCH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
5... nice.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Art stated that Taylor was an OK guy, so I believe it.

But that's because I know Artsy-boy, and I find him to be a straight shooter, not because of the impression Mark gives here.

If I was trying to entice folks into my store, I might be nicer than I am online. In person, I'm a peach. crazy

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Still not interested in a Wiggy bag though.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have a Superlight for sale if anyone is interested in a heavy brick that severely lacks in loft, six inches my azz... Let me know, might make a good dog bed if one didnt like ones dog very much.

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Dont have much experience here, but am surprised to see that Taylor has such a bad rap on this site.

Seems cordial on the other site I'm on and in person, NOTHING but helpful and nice....Just my take...

Last edited by hunt_ak; 11/12/09.
C
CCH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by wyoelk
I have a Superlight for sale if anyone is interested in a heavy brick that severely lacks in loft, six inches my azz... Let me know, might make a good dog bed if one didnt like ones dog very much.

True story, I bought two of the Wiggy's dog beds. My dogs would not sleep on them. Ended up just giving them away. I think this was more a reflection of the design of the beds which made them sort of "tippy" than as to my dogs' refined sense of taste.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wyoelk
I'll give you $20 shipped for that piece of [bleep] sleeping bag.

Steelhead

B
BeanMan Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
SuperDave,

The local through the door price for locals has been the only thing that kept one of these bags under consideration. I could walk out of the store with a bag for around $165.00.

My apologies to all in the forum, It was not my intention to start a 6 page long rant, I had no idea that feelings ran so strong.

Bean

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bean
No need to apologize!
You could not have known the situation here concerning Wiggy's.
If anything, I owe you an apology for helping to get this thread off track!!

James Elroy Flecker

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Only one mention of Big Agnes bags so far. I have a BA Farwell 0 degree bag given as a gift this spring that I haven't used yet. Seems to be a nice synthetic bag but definitely doesn't stuff as small as my Western Mtneering down bag.

Does anyone using Big Agnes bags have any comments about temperature rating or any comparisons with Kifaru, or Wiggys bags? Thx.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
BLM bought a bunch of those Wiggys for their firefighters...POS sleeping bag! I used mine once and went back to my personal Serria Designs downfill.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by ducttape
Only one mention of Big Agnes bags so far.

Been wondering the same. I've used their packable blow-up mats and they are WAY nice. Kinda like the idea of the slide-in mat....hate rollin' off...

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Funny how some are fine in the "POS" bags and others are not.

I suspect it has a lot to do with HOW you sleep in a bag. And how cold natured or hot natured you are naturally and how your body is fueled at the time.

Can't say that we've abused the bags like the firefighters probably would though. I'd think military would be the same way and a true showing of how hearty the bag is. Fact is we don't use our bags more than 2 or 3 weeks a year at max, sometimes less, we might get more mileage out of them.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
My experience with BA bags is temp ratings are off 15 deg about. I have four of them and love the comfort/roominess. I have a 50 deg, 35, and two 15s, the lost ranger(down) and a syn. The biggest issue for me is the pad. I have the regular insulated rated at 15 deg, it starts letting cold up from the bottom at 30 deg, wouldn't matter if it was a -40 deg bag. In Az it's not an issue until Dec/Jan bowhunts. If I was in colder weather more often I would get a down mat or add a closed cell like I do here. I also take the 35 deg and put it in the 15 if I need to, adds 1 1/2 lbs. The pad sleeve and the huge shoulder girth, even though I'm a small guy, are the winners for me.

With a 0 deg bag you need to match the pad to it and it will be good to 10 degs at least.

Best sleep I've ever had in the backcountry.

The montbell SS bags look like a heck of a bag, syn or down.

Slick bag also.

The Wiggy's specs just seem too, slumberjack, to me. I could be wrong but I don't see much difference.

Kent

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

516 members (222Sako, 10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 21, 1minute, 1OntarioJim, 49 invisible), 2,372 guests, and 1,191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,432
Posts18,489,294
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.