Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by rattler
Originally Posted by RickyD
Originally Posted by ColeYounger
I'm pretty stewpit. Your are kidding aren't you? I assume sarcasm targeting what the status quo has been saying for years...

There is a shortage of teachers, so I know that teachers are not contributing to the unemployment rate!
Actually I just read today where there are now a glut of teachers.

depends on subject, try finding science or music teachers....its near impossible....
My wife is a music teacher and has been trying to get into the public system in Des Moines. That has been impossible for many years. I suppose different areas are, well, different. wink

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
could be come to Montana, she would be hired damn quick i bet.....do know this year was a bit different as some other states were laying off teachers due to lack of funds while Montana, due to a balanced budget at the state level, wasnt hurting financially and was hiring teachers....the local district had an aweful lot of applicants from Arizona this year, actually this was the first year in over a decade where they had a full staff hired the first day of school with teachers that were qualified to teach the respective classes....most the time they cant find someone to hire....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
On my first search I found 364 Teaching Jobs available right now (November 13). That means that 364 classrooms in Texas are without a full time qualified teacher. That does include administrators as well, so what ever number there are of those then subtract that from the classroom and add it to the "School without a Principal" column.

For the last two years we (GISD) has been paying $8000 sign on bonus over two years for Math and Spanish teachers. (oh yeah, and $2000 stipend over base pay as well).

There was some sarcasm in my post. I suppose I should be more sincere more of the time. I know one High School Administrator who said, "To Hell with this" and went back into the classroom and I know another one who wishes she could (or would) do the same. It would sure make things more pleasant around my house.

Alan

Last edited by Alan_R_McDaniel_Jr; 11/13/09.

Food is at the core of Hunting and Fishing - Rebecca Gray

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I tend to agree. I always thought my parents were tougher on me as it related to learning than my teachers. Although, I did have good teachers who cared. My sister is a teacher and all 3 of her boys are on average 3 classes ahead of the rest. That is 100% to her credit and the time she devotes to making them work and learn overtime as my parents did with the 4 of us. Her oldest just took his SAT and posted a near perfect score. Only missed 6 math questions and a few more critical reading questions. He's retaking the test, which says something in of itself. My other sisters kids both made it through tough colleges with the help of scholastic awards, which led to funding. Yup were it not for my parents not sure where any of us would have wound up.

I am however, in favor of higher pay grades for the teachers who care. My sister receives thank you letters from parents all the time for their kids progress in class and desire to learn more at home. But yet she only takes home about $800 every 2 weeks. And that's with a Masters in Education. There's something wrong with this picture

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Only person responsible for my kid is me. Seems lots of folks bitch about government in their life but expect them to be the ones responsible for teaching my kid and ensuring they are in fact learning.

That falls on the parent, period.

when I pay a large amount of money to the government, to pay for schools, I expect to get some return on investment.
My kids are grown and on their own, I still pay the taxes, and for my money, I get illiterates moving into the work place.
No wonder we can't compete globally anymore. Our workers have no education.

Sam......

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
As an administrator (and conservative) in the "liberal" public school system, here is my $0.02 worth. . .

First of all, if I had 35 hrs/wk to teach students writing, reading, science, math, social studies, and computer skills the job would -- and often does -- get done very effectively. However, much of that 35 hrs/wk is spent by teachers serving as surrogate parents helping many students meet basic needs and learn to overcome the environments their "real" parents have created for them. Nevertheless, I know this is a part of my job, I embrace it, and I spend countless hours trying to understand ways of dealing with it.

There are teacher shortages in many parts of the country -- just as there might be a surplus in many northern states. Regardless, there is a shortage of qualified teachers everywhere. One of the primary reasons for this is that teaching has become a fall-back profession for many. This is not to say that there aren't great teachers who have come from different fields (particularly the military and business worlds). Generally speaking -- and unfortunately -- the teaching profession no longer carries the respect it did many decades ago. Educators of all levels must bear the responsibility for this change. We must also assume the lead in changing this attitude.

As for NCLB, it is the grandest absurdity one could imagine. The premise may be noble, but it is an exercise in futility. I am still waiting for our government to hold every dental clinic, hospital, and medical clinic to the same expectations. Our educational system needs to focus on preparing kids for their individual futures which may include something other than a 4yr college. Maybe many of these kids that are under-performing in college, would have been better served if they had received some real-world vocational training instead?

I will be the first to agree that many improvements are needed in many of our nation's public schools. Some believe that the answer will be found in charter schools (i.e. -- public-funded private schools). My limited experience with charter schools would prove that solution laughable at best. The quickest solution, and one that will never be attempted, is to hold parents jointly accountable with the schools for the successes and failures of students. Tie all types of welfare payments and benefits into student performance for a start. Require diplomas for drivers licenses and sufferage. Make education and community/military service a real requirement for juvenile offenders. . .

I could go on and on. . .

John 3:36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley
Only person responsible for my kid is me. Seems lots of folks bitch about government in their life but expect them to be the ones responsible for teaching my kid and ensuring they are in fact learning.

That falls on the parent, period.

The above based on your years of parenting, of course...

Not saying you're not partially correct, of course. But in today's world, where both parents tend to be working outside the home, as a necessity there's a reliance on schools to do what they're supposed to do: educate your child.

Scott

P.S. Sam, apparently you and I are in agreement. Is this another case of my not thinking ?? smile

I don't need to suck a crank to tell you I wouldn't like it, perhaps you are different.

Both parents working is just another sham. Sure, if both parents want to drive a new car, 52" color tv yadda yadda. People can blame everyone else if they choose.

Sure you give the state lots of money Sam but I'd make damn sure they were giving it back. It shouldn't be a surprise to a parent if their kids can't read in the 11th grade or do math.

The only one responsible for my family is ME. Apparently lots of conservatives on here expect the government teach their kids everything. Fine, but trust and verify.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

I don't need to suck a crank to tell you I wouldn't like it, perhaps you are different.

Scott, parenting is absolutely like nothing you've ever done, period. I'm not saying you'd be a horrible dad. Actually,in many ways I think quite the opposite would be true.

As for the homoerotic reference - why do you always go there? Are you familiar with the quote "The lady doth protest too much, methinks"?

Both parents working is just another sham. Sure, if both parents want to drive a new car, 52" color tv yadda yadda. People can blame everyone else if they choose.

Or a roof overhead, food on the table, and enough $$ in the bank to not be a burden on society or your kids when you're old. Again, basing your argument solely on your experience is spurious. Not everyone lives life a la Steelhead. To categorize two income families as a sham is insulting a huge chunk of humanity.

Sure you give the state lots of money Sam but I'd make damn sure they were giving it back. It shouldn't be a surprise to a parent if their kids can't read in the 11th grade or do math.

The only one responsible for my family is ME. Apparently lots of conservatives on here expect the government teach their kids everything. Fine, but trust and verify.

Well, here we're in complete agreement. "'Trust' but verify". It's our job to make sure that the educators are doing their job. It is our job to make sure that our kids do their job. It should not be our job to teach calculus, trigonometry, English grammar, chemistry, biology, U.S. history, foreign language, physics and computer science.

Scott

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

My father, who has been a teacher and/or an administrator in the public school system, in the public university system, in the DOD school system overseas, and retired as a headmaster of a private school, and was elected to two terms on our local borad of education while owning a private business, (whew!), says virtually the same thing as you........

Casey

Originally Posted by NC35rem
As an administrator (and conservative) in the "liberal" public school system, here is my $0.02 worth. . .

First of all, if I had 35 hrs/wk to teach students writing, reading, science, math, social studies, and computer skills the job would -- and often does -- get done very effectively. However, much of that 35 hrs/wk is spent by teachers serving as surrogate parents helping many students meet basic needs and learn to overcome the environments their "real" parents have created for them. Nevertheless, I know this is a part of my job, I embrace it, and I spend countless hours trying to understand ways of dealing with it.

There are teacher shortages in many parts of the country -- just as there might be a surplus in many northern states. Regardless, there is a shortage of qualified teachers everywhere. One of the primary reasons for this is that teaching has become a fall-back profession for many. This is not to say that there aren't great teachers who have come from different fields (particularly the military and business worlds). Generally speaking -- and unfortunately -- the teaching profession no longer carries the respect it did many decades ago. Educators of all levels must bear the responsibility for this change. We must also assume the lead in changing this attitude.

As for NCLB, it is the grandest absurdity one could imagine. The premise may be noble, but it is an exercise in futility. I am still waiting for our government to hold every dental clinic, hospital, and medical clinic to the same expectations. Our educational system needs to focus on preparing kids for their individual futures which may include something other than a 4yr college. Maybe many of these kids that are under-performing in college, would have been better served if they had received some real-world vocational training instead?

I will be the first to agree that many improvements are needed in many of our nation's public schools. Some believe that the answer will be found in charter schools (i.e. -- public-funded private schools). My limited experience with charter schools would prove that solution laughable at best. The quickest solution, and one that will never be attempted, is to hold parents jointly accountable with the schools for the successes and failures of students. Tie all types of welfare payments and benefits into student performance for a start. Require diplomas for drivers licenses and sufferage. Make education and community/military service a real requirement for juvenile offenders. . .

I could go on and on. . .

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rattler
its a small town, it aint window dressing, not to mention they have no committees and its pretty easy to tell if they are making desisions that arent based on what info they get at the meetings.....aint to hard to figure out when the superintendent has his coffee on a daily basis and how much sugar he puts in it if i want....not to mention most the current board aint smart enough to be that sneaky, atleast more than once..

currently the school board has a bunch of idiots on it, mainly cause the smart ppl got tired of the idiots, its getting to the point the wife is thinking bout running for it to up the average IQ.....but push comes to shove our administrators are pretty good, and have done a damn good job....there is only one of them that i dont know that well, the rest are locals or at the very least have been in the area a couple decades...the current superintendent is a long time family friend and was my teacher at one point in high school is he an outstanding administrator? no but he is a good one that truly has the best interests of the school and community in mind......

my girls are quite bright but from what i have seen they aint gonna get half the education i did and its due to changes that were kick started by NCLB....i hate english, but have no problems writing cause i had a damn good teacher, had damn good math teachers, had damn good science teachers....all this on one of the poorest indian reservations....the problem now is that teachers must focus a hell of alot of their time on students that do not want to be in class and who have parents that dont care how their kids do....before the teachers could teach those that wanted an education and give those that were interested in one a damn fine one....now they spend most there time focusing on those that aint gonna ever see the inside of a college classroom and the bright kids are left hanging in the wind....

As to the first two paragraphs. Great. But that is not my experience and I can almost guarantee that I am way more experienced than you from the top to the bottom where the public schools are concerned.

As to the third, what is the answer then? Separating the children when they are in kindergarten like the Japs do? I am competitive and so are my kids. I did very well in grad school. Still, I can't be that hard, and I don't think that's a bad thing. Most of the impetus for NCLB came from the attitude that we are actually behind other countries. Other countries cheat on the testing and misreport their results. IMO, our country seems to be more honest, after a fashion. I would have to go into greater detail than I want to here to explain my thoughts on this. My own kids are way ahead of where I was at their age, with about the same level of intellectual ability. This is the norm for Kansas.

http://www.uschamber.com/icw/reportcard/default

I don't really understand what you're complaining about. If your kids are being educated commensurately with the rest of your state, it looks like Montana is doing pretty well. The return on your investment ain't so hot though. I'd talk to some of your buddies about that. Administrators tend to be very slick and very good at self-promotion.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kids are really easy to teach if you make it fun for them. And it doesn't require much time, either.

Had my daughter doing plenty more than just basic math before she started school. She could count change better at 5 years old than any of the local convience shop clerks can. I tested one a couple days ago. Love doing this to them, maybe I'm just being mean:) Total was 5.37, I gave her a 10 spot. I deliberately waited until she punched it in and the change due was on the screen, then handed her 2 quarters and 2 pennies. Instant tail spin. IMO anyone with a HS diploma should immediatley know the answer without even having to think. She looked at the screen, then at the 52 cents, then at the ten dollar bill then back at me, then looked at each again. She had to reach for a calculator. Even after punching in the numbers and hitting = I could tell it didn't soak in. She didn't have a clue. Not even the first clue. Pathetic. My daughter knew the answer to that before even starting school and this girl graduated 2 years ago, 3 years older than my daughter. I know her dad, he's a bright man. I know all her teachers, they're bright people. We're out in the boonies, small school where kids get plenty of individual attention. What's wrong? She's not stupid. Her parents are far from stupid. What's wrong?

My daughter is prepping for college to become a nurse. That girl will spend her life behind that counter and never understand why. Probably never even occur to her to think about the question let alone ask, let alone again seek the answer. Pathetic.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Archerhunter
Kids are really easy to teach if you make it fun for them. And it doesn't require much time, either.

Had my daughter doing plenty more than just basic math before she started school. She could count change better at 5 years old than any of the local convience shop clerks can. I tested one a couple days ago. Love doing this to them, maybe I'm just being mean:) Total was 5.37, I gave her a 10 spot. I deliberately waited until she punched it in and the change due was on the screen, then handed her 2 quarters and 2 pennies. Instant tail spin. IMO anyone with a HS diploma should immediatley know the answer without even having to think. She looked at the screen, then at the 52 cents, then at the ten dollar bill then back at me, then looked at each again. She had to reach for a calculator. Even after punching in the numbers and hitting = I could tell it didn't soak in. She didn't have a clue. Not even the first clue. Pathetic. My daughter knew the answer to that before even starting school and this girl graduated 2 years ago, 3 years older than my daughter. I know her dad, he's a bright man. I know all her teachers, they're bright people. We're out in the boonies, small school where kids get plenty of individual attention. What's wrong? She's not stupid. Her parents are far from stupid. What's wrong?

My daughter is prepping for college to become a nurse. That girl will spend her life behind that counter and never understand why. Probably never even occur to her to think about the question let alone ask, let alone again seek the answer. Pathetic.

Again, what's wrong is big business and the administration. It rankles big business persons to put ANY money in something they aren't getting a return on. I'm not sure our system of education being taxpayer funded is a good thing, but its what we've got. Most politicians are either bought and paid for by the big boys are are the big boys themselves. They HATE paying for our kids' education in the form of the public schools. Kansas, for instance, spends very little, relatively, on education, yet we are consistently one of the top-ranking states in achievement. What does our legislature do? Stay the course? Do what is working? Hell no, they make education pay for nearly all the cuts to make up for the shortfalls due to the recession.

Almost any time you have budget cuts, administration will cut teaching positions. Time and again educational research has shown that there is a direct correlation between class size and student achievement. There is simply no time for individual assistance if the class size gets too big. And I don't care what administrators say, paraprofessionals aren't teachers.

Last edited by ColeYounger; 11/17/09.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
and then we can get into exactly WHAT kids are being taught: Political correctness, liberal world view, marxist economic theory, animal rights, twisted and distorted American and world History........
and what they are NOT being taught: Math, English grammer, English literature, why America became the greatest Country in the history of mankind...........

Sam......

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You can't have everything. With the intensive emphasis on Reading, Writing and Arithmetic, things get shoved to the wayside. There are only so many hours in the day and emphasizing the aforementioned gets Joe Biden no air time. On the other side of the coin, preparing future communists that know not to pray in school, tote guns, slaughter bambi and make fun of [bleep], takes a lot of time too. No future engineers in the latter group. Only crazed Muslim Psychiatrists or people raised by villages of idiots. shocked

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep, Cole. I believe ya.

We decided before our little boy was born he'll be home schooled for at least the first few years. Even if we start him in school in the 4th or so, we'll have him through the home school cirriculum 6th grade level. He already counts well and is learning the alphabet, coming along nicely for not even 3 yet. His grandma keeps saying he's too smart for his own good. He's too smart for HER own good, I can agree with that smile She's the least bright of his 4 grandparents. His vocabulary in the last 2 or 3 months has really taken off. Surprising even me! I think he'll do well. And I'll be doing my best to see to it.

He understands his countiing well enough to know who won the ball game wink (a little jab for JeffO from the huckin' fippy thread)

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cole, i know other school boards can be a PITA as far as doing something in secret....one of the school boards north of me for awhile was doing board meetings on a school bus driving around town and keeping parents out of the meetings cause the law just stated that board meetings had to be held on school property.....didnt say they had to be held in a school building....that law has now changed...i have just been speaking bout the one local school board, not school boards in general...

and yes i believe you should separate the kids.....advance the smart kids as fast as they can handle, and do more one on one time with the kids that are having problems getting the stuff in a different setting(this kinda thing my school was doing before NCLB)....i aint saying kick them to the curb but there isnt any reason to hold back the kids that can handle it....hell due to a disagreement with an english teacher and the need to rearrange my class schedule i completely skipped pre-calc and dove right into calc with no problems and i am far from the sharpest tack in the drawer...

from what i have seen NCLB has actually hurt our district.....given the school is bout 80% indian there have always been challenges just due to various social-economic issues and even cultural issues....the school administration was constantly looking for ways to improve things before NCLB....now they have to spend a whole hell of alot of money on various testing and even had to hire an administrator JUST to deal with the paperwork....money woulda been better spent on other things...

the biggest reason NCLB will never even half way work here is because a significant portion of the student body has parents that could give a chit if their student is even attending school and because of that our school has yet to actually meet AYP goals....due to some loopholes given some schools our district has met some lowered benchmarks and been safe from the more severe problems other schools that have not met AYP for several years in a row but pretty soon that loophole will be gone too and the district is gonna get penalized for chit they cant really do anything about...

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I didn't realize it at the time, but the little elementary school and the middle school that I attended provided an excellent basic education,..the high school, not so much.

Looking back, it's a damn shame that the kids who received such a good education through the first 8 grades there had to be saddled with that sorry high school.

It's not much of an exagerration to say that there was nothing being taught past the 8th grade. Fortunately, by then you had enough to function pretty well if you had worked at it.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

271 members (257 mag, 12344mag, 2500HD, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 160user, 29 invisible), 1,726 guests, and 1,084 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,630
Posts18,492,987
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.