Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
A little legth but I had to leave out details at it is. Hope you enjoy.

Opening morning my wife and I get to our spot we had selected after numerous days of scouting and seeing elk everyday in this area we selected. We hunt the area and glass the clearcuts but don't see any elk in the area for the first time in about 3 months. humm what happened it was like they dissapeared. We hunted the rest of the day and seen some elk in different areas but nothing legal.

Next day we decided to go with our plan B spot as well as take my younger brother along who has never killed an elk, and at first light the fog lifted for about 10 minutes and what do you know my wife spots a lone elk about 650yards away in some reprod. I got my spoting scope on it to make sure it was legal and it was a nice little 5x5. I thought about shooting him from there but wanting my brother to finally close the deal on an elk I told him to go through the timber and circle around with the wind in his face to get a closer shot. He gets down there and a few shots ring out. He then radios back to me that he got it. The excitement in his voice made the trip I think I could see the smile on his face from the landing where I was watching the elk from without my binos!

Here is a pic of My little bro and me probably don't need to tell you that he is the one with the huge smile on his face. He obvously is not thinking of the work that lies ahead I am!!

[Linked Image]

While we were skinning out the elk and hanging it up my brother sticks a knife in his hand and the cut requires stitches. Bummer just lost my hunting parter and my other hunting parther (my wife) has to go back to work. I ended up hooking up with one of the older guys that hunts with us for the next day.

So the next day we get out in the morning and are seeing lots of elk but no legal bulls just spikes and cows. We stopped seeing elk at about noon so we decided to transfer my brothers elk into the cooler. After that the older guy I was hunting with was getting tired and needed a break so he told me he was done for the day. I thought about it and said alright as I was pretty worn out at this point as well. I went back to the house and tried to get some sleep but I had the wierdest felling that I should be out hunting. After about an hour of trying to sleep with no avail I gave him a call and said we need to be hunting. He came over and we headed back out.

We checked a few spots and saw a few elk but again nothing legal. Then decided to go up and glass a huge drainage we had seen some elk in the previous 2 days. I spotted a lone elk at about 2000 yards away got my spotting scope on it and sure enough it was legal. So we made our plan and went after it, but a 100' vertical cliff put an end to that. We had closed the distance some but I was still going to have to make the shot of my life.

There was zero wind or rain for the first time all week so I decided that it was a makeable shot and I have practiced at this range enough to know that with the conditions I am capable of doing this. I ranged the elk and dialed in my turrets. With my partner watching through the spotting scope and me shooting prone off of my bipod I took aim and let one fly. My partner says you hit him behind the front shoulder. He was running now and I let 2 more shots go but nothing met its target. He then stopped and I shot again and his front half dropped to the ground, through the front shoulder my partener said. The elk got back up and turned broadside I shot again with the same result. the elk then starts a slow run trying to go up hill and I shot again and missed. He then starts a slow walk broadside I lead him a little and shoot one last time and the elk drops in its tracks. Now the work starts.

Here is a pic of the elk back at the house

[Linked Image]

We got him out at around midnight and had to quarter him and pack him out about 3 miles in the dark according to the GPS.

Here is one of the bullets that was recovered from the elk.

[Linked Image]

180grn .308cal accubond shot from a Kimber Montana M8400 300wm3140fps

Any guesses on how far the shot was based on bullet expansion.

Last edited by heavywalker; 11/13/09.

GB1

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Nice hunt!

750ish? for about 1900fps impact?

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Congrats on your bulls.

I am going to guess right about 575-600yds with about 2000fps at that point.

Last edited by realwood1; 11/13/09.
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
No and No when someone gets within 25yards I will spill the beans

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Roughly what elevation were you hunting at?

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
1500' out here on the washington coast.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Nice hunt. 880yds?
Roosevelt's have different colored antlers?

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Not 880

Rosies have dark antlers usually a dark redish brown at least they do around hear. they sure look nice don't they.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by heavywalker

Rosies have dark antlers usually a dark redish brown at least they do around hear. they sure look nice don't they.

They sure do! 925?

What scope? What range finder are you using? I have an old bushnell, it's ok I guess. I'm thinking of upgrading.

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Scope was a leupold mark 4 4.5-14x40 with target style turrets

and it wasn't 925

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
rangefinder was a Swarovski

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Congrat's....a nice couple of bulls!

I'm thinkin' that this is a 3pt. or better area in St. Helen's?

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
No it is near the pacific/lewis county lines fall river unit 672.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I am going to say 750 yards. Either way good shot.

Whatever a 7x57 can do a 270 can do better.

True fair chase is you in the woods buttnaked with nothing but your finger nails and teeth.

If you'e fixin' to put a hole in something, make it a hole to remember.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm guessing the elk crk/doty area. Nice area and alot of elk at times. 810 yards

[Linked Image]
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Jimmy you would be right about the area but not the range.

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
OK since I am about to head out hunting for the weekend and nobody has guessed it yet here it goes.

Swarovski rangefinder ranged the bull 3 times at 1031 yards

One shot beind the front shoulder, 1 shot through each front shoulder and one shot in the neck just in front of front shoulder. 4 out of 7 shots hit there mark with the 3 misses being when the elk was moving. I checked the ballistics and the bullet flight time was 1.41 sec. So I am sure I must not have led him enough.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wow long shot! Congrats on the elk

JOC was right. The 270 Winchester on a Model 70 is a great combination as is the 30/06 and 375 H&H

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Sorry, but I have to disagree with your decision to engage that elk at 1000+ yards. I really like shooting at extended ranges because it makes those 400 yard shots seem close. But shooting at any live game at that distance is a mistake. You are lucky to have recovered the bull. Four hits out of seven is good but you had marginal expansion at best. The bull easily could have walked off in the forest not allowing for another shot and no blood trail.
I hope you learned a valuable lesson here - the correct one - to get closer or pass up the shot. If not, you will undoubtedly leave wounded game in the field.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Can somebody please show me the rear shoulders of an elk???

Junior dopers!!!

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 12344mag, 160user, 06hunter59, 54 invisible), 2,473 guests, and 625 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,443
Posts18,507,795
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.