-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What was the ambient temp when these loads were used?
Bill

If you're not having fun; you're not doing it right!
GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
It was about 40F.

The ammo was warmer though, I just stepped out of a 70F house, and kept the rounds in my pocket to keep them from cooling off much.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by djpaintless
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
So, what you're saying is that you guess.

If your brass is more capacious than the listed brass, then you have less fill density, and less pressure.

If you have a longer COAL, then you have more capacity and less fill density, and less pressure.

If you run moly, then you have less friction, and less pressure.

Yet, you're convinced that if you have all three of those variables in your favor to reduce pressure, you need to stop at or near the maximum load for something that's no longer equivalent?

That's completely illogical.

You go through all those machinations, guessing against the facts, and then think that a program designed to compensate for all those variables is less accurate?

Damn.............................

You might want to go back do a search and read some of JB's posts on how little long seating bullets and the small increase in capacity makes on velocity potential.

Moly doesn't increase velocity potential without increasing pressure nearly as much as some people assume.

I think you might be exaggerating the effects of small differences in case capacity and seating depth, but don't take my word for it read what JB has put in print about it, he's a better writer than I and has hung around some ballistic labs. Maybe he might comment on this for himself which would be better yet.

The thing is that I'm not guessing about anything. I usually have data that has been actually pressure tested and shot not just calculated. I have velocities that I actually measure in my gun. If you don't exceed the books maximum listed loads and don't exceed their max listed velocities at their COAL with the same components you can be pretty sure you aren't exceeding max listed pressures (this per Ken Oehler on the earlier thread).

Simply put I agree with Brad. If I want 200gr bullets going faster than the listed velocities of the 308 or 30-06 I'll buy a 300 Mag (well, I have several). I don't beleive that it's smart to push a caliber beyond it's limits. I also hope that RL-17 turns out to be a great powder for the 308, I have a bunch of them. I just don't think it's smart to go so far beyond published limits to squeeze the last Nth out of a round................................................DJ

My only complaint is that the Remington Small Pistol primers I bought were actually Small Pistol Magnum primers (marked 5 1/2). So be carefull about what you actually buy.
Also they are noticably thicker than WW and Federal, you can't fit quite as many in the primer filler tubes for my Dillon.
Anyway I got 10,000 of them cheap, so I'll adjust my loads down to where they are safe and then shoot em up.

They work just fine but be sure about which they are i.e. std or magnum and load accordingly................

Sorry dj grin How do you know they are safe?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
DJ, "a man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still."

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Just wondering how he safely subs Mag primers for std. with no listed loads or pressures with same.

Chrony? Extrapolation?

In a handgun...

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by HawkI
Just wondering how he safely subs Mag primers for std. with no listed loads or pressures with same.

Chrony? Extrapolation?

In a handgun...

I'll load them 150-200fps or maybe a little bit more less than normal velocity. Without actual pressure testing them you won't really know for sure but I feel comfortable with loads at very moderate velocity being within pressure limits if both the velocities and powder charges are well below those acheived with std primers...........dj

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Sounds awfully risky.... grin I'd stick only to using components with tested data, right? I didn't think subbing anything even entered into the equation whistle

Ya know, a lot of what you just said Shane has said before regarding his own loads.

And you haven't even tried yours yet.

Oh, and beware of sticking jacketed bullets if you go too far back the other way in finding safety.

Enough of me being snooty.

Just saying....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hawk1, I realize that you are trying to defend you freind Shane, which is fine but he's perfectly capable of doing it himself. I have to say mostly in a pretty nice way. He seems like a pretty good guy even though I think he's making some mistakes in his reloading assumptions. I guess you can try petty insults if you want but it's really more interesting if you bring something more useful to the discussion, your freind has.

You might want to reread some of the things I've posted and you should see that I'm not totally tied to manual specifics but think that you need to deviate from them carefully, such as the 270 Winchester - 280 Remington comparisons.

If you want to discuss you might try bringing facts and logic to the discussion and join in. For me this discussion has been interesting though I hope nobody's toes have gotten stepped on too hard..........................DJ

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Book loads for the 30-06 are watered down for reasons that make sense.

When you look at case volume comparisons between the 30-06 and 300 SAUM it becomes objectively apparent that the 30-06 can be loaded, by a savvy handloader, to darn near the same performance.

My 30-06 brass holds 72 gr water, measured. (72.5 for the Norma)
Your 300 SAUM holds 75 gr water, measured.

I'm loading a 208 AMax to 3.45" OAL. This kisses lands in my heavy 30-06. My useable case volume is 61.72 gr.
A 300 SAUM (75gr wetcap) with a 208 loaded to 2.825" (mag limit on the 700), results in a useable capacity of 62.18 gr.

The difference in usable volume is a whopping 0.46 gr, in favor of the SAUM. Less that 1/2 grain.

This is where the naysayers raise the fact that the SAUM runs at 65K lbs-psi. So can the 30-06. Just like the 25-06, 270, and 338-06 do. No difference whatsoever in a Rem 700, or similar modern arm.

Considering my loads are below SAUM performance, it becomes obvious that my loads are actually below 65K somewhere.

I've always held that my loads are in the 60-62K range, and this analysis supports that.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

This is where the naysayers raise the fact that the SAUM runs at 65K lbs-psi. So can the 30-06. Just like the 25-06, 270, and 338-06 do. No difference whatsoever in a Rem 700, or similar modern arm.

Then why are the SAUM and WSM cases made so much heavier and stronger?...................DJ

IC B3

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Nothing petty at all, besides a difference of opinion and Shane can argue his points fine.

Let's say I have a revolver chambered for a certain cartridge, lets make it a popular one, since obscure wildcats are verboten; (since I have never ran RL-17 in a 30/06 and I'd be guessing, though I could sit back and pick on loads of someone who has).

My bullets and my gun are designed to seat bullets flush with the cylinder face (large throat), the chambers are large, much larger than cut in a pressure barrel.

Magically my powder capacity, OAL and published data is now going to allow me to never get close to a book MAX speed, pressure, and I'm certain to get the maximum powder charge in the case, despite finding a fuel on the slower end.

What you were saying in the thread was that should I work up my loads and go beyond MAX data I have now subjugated all to heresay and guessing and my data for my gun is not safe, correct?

Oh yeah, there is only two companies who list pressure tested data and their COL are much shorter, chambers tighter as well as throats....useless? No.
What if I have QL or something like it on top of that? That's not useless either, if I'm working up carefully. What if this load was fired 100 times; a thousand with no signs or issues? If I just punched the numbers and poured in the Max, well, I'd reap what I sowed.

Could my max speed and powder charge be more than anything listed, or is it confined to manual data? For you it may be where you would not tread. Fine.

I guess the best comparison for flawed manual data comes in Speer #13 where the 222 Rem. meets or beats the 223 once crusher loads were fired in actual guns, despite a supposed 6,000 CUP pressure difference; I recall the 308 and 30/06 being too close for comfort as well. You know the flaw in the testing, yet there it is.

I appreciate the fact you want no one to get hurt; I don't think you like the posters face more than he does.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Considering my loads are below SAUM performance, it becomes obvious that my loads are actually below 65K somewhere. - Shane

Not necessarily.

Peak pressure is just an indicator of muzzle velocity and vice versa. There is not a direct correlation, especially at high pressures. MV is the result of the average pressure exerted on the bullet over the period of time it was in the bore.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nothing petty at all, besides a difference of opinion and Shane can argue his points fine.

Let's say I have a revolver chambered for a certain cartridge, lets make it a popular one, since obscure wildcats are verboten; (since I have never ran RL-17 in a 30/06 and I'd be guessing, though I could sit back and pick on loads of someone who has). - I have shot RL-17 in 3 other rifles BTW, it wasn't so magic in them.

My bullets and my gun are designed to seat bullets flush with the cylinder face (large throat), the chambers are large, much larger than cut in a pressure barrel.

Magically my powder capacity, OAL and published data is now going to allow me to never get close to a book MAX speed, pressure, and I'm certain to get the maximum powder charge in the case, despite finding a fuel on the slower end.

What you were saying in the thread was that should I work up my loads and go beyond MAX data I have now subjugated all to heresay and guessing and my data for my gun is not safe, correct? If you start going beyond the max load data for your gun you are probably also going beyond max pressures. Your fat chambered gun likely will not acheive normal max velocities without going over max pressures.

Oh yeah, there is only two companies who list pressure tested data and their COL are much shorter, chambers tighter as well as throats....useless? No.
What if I have QL or something like it on top of that? That's not useless either, if I'm working up carefully. What if this load was fired 100 times; a thousand with no signs or issues? If I just punched the numbers and poured in the Max, well, I'd reap what I sowed.

Could my max speed and powder charge be more than anything listed, or is it confined to manual data? For you it may be where you would not tread. Fine. And of course loading your fat chambered gun to std max velocity to one thing, loading it to 200fps faster is another thing yet.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H

Let's say I have a revolver chambered for a certain cartridge, lets make it a popular one, since obscure wildcats are verboten; (since I have never ran RL-17 in a 30/06 and I'd be guessing, though I could sit back and pick on loads of someone who has). - I have shot RL-17 in 3 other rifles BTW, it wasn't so magic in them. Was one of these guns Shanes?

What you were saying in the thread was that should I work up my loads and go beyond MAX data I have now subjugated all to heresay and guessing and my data for my gun is not safe, correct? If you start going beyond the max load data for your gun you are probably also going beyond max pressures. Your fat chambered gun likely will not acheive normal max velocities without going over max pressures. What is MAX load data for MY gun? It produces less pressure with book loads and can by design; "normal" for what, the chamber used isn't my chamber? Its like short throating a Weatherby compared to a Weatherby throat [/b]

Could my max speed and powder charge be more than anything listed, or is it confined to manual data? For you it may be where you would not tread. Fine. And of course loading your fat chambered gun to std max velocity to one thing, loading it to 200fps faster is another thing yet. Now your saying a 222 Mag chamber has no more potential than a 223, all else equal, which they aren't. You can buy greater capacity, and you know what capacity allows: more speed at the same pressure, with horror, more powder

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't just take my word on things. Here are a few quotes from earlier posts by someone who knows a bit about pressure and velocity:

Originally Posted by KenOehler

Loading to get the book velocities is no guarantee regarding pressures. Getting the book velocities might tend to imply that you had close to book pressures, but there is no guarantee. You must have enough pressure to get the velocity, but getting the expected velocity does not mean the pressures behaved. On the other hand, exceeding book velocities is a guarantee that you exceeded book pressures.
KenO

My opinion is that pressures in the 70 -75 Kpsi range can be generated either operating within published loads with a very "tight" barrel, or operating slightly outside published loads with a "normal" barrel. We've fitted strain gages to many barrels in which the user has already worked up loads with the conservative method of increasing charge until he sees "pressure signs" and then backing off a little bit. These load/gun combos usually indicate in the 70-75K psi range or approximately midway beetween "max average pressure" and "proof pressure".
We've seen sufficient variation between individual barrels to realize that just staying within loading manual ranges is not an absolute guarantee of modest pressure.

Operating in the 70-75Kpsi range may be relatively safe, but you must recognize that you've removed a significant part of the safety margin put into place by the manufacturer. A minor change of components could easily bump the pressure well into the proof range.

KenO

I'll just throw out the following:

1. Most loads that I've seen developed to "just below obvious pressure signs" have shown 70K - 75K psi when tested.
KenO

Having had the opportunity to examine many cases after firing in instrumented guns and barrels (copper, conformal, and strain gage), I have totally lost confidence in my being able to reliably estimate even maximum pressure by feel or examining fired cases. .............................................

KenO

At least now you can know I'm not just making up my opinions out of thin air. When Dr. Oehler talks about pressure and ballistics I try and listen. If someone with his level of experience can't guage maximum pressures by looking at fired cases it makes me wonder how I possibly could...........................................DJ

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

Then why are the SAUM and WSM cases made so much heavier and stronger?...................DJ

That is irrelevant. A guess would be that the web diameter is larger and thus has a larger area exposed to the pressure.

25-06, 270Win, 338-06 are 65K rounds too. If the 30-06 brass was not up to it, it would be failing. It isn't.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Other interesting quotes:

Originally Posted by h_broemel

Bullet manufacturers will sell their bullets. They almost do not know what is in the powder canister they used for testing. Is the powder used for creating a load for the loading manual on the fast side or slow side of the tolerance band?

That is something a powder manufacturer is knowing and therefore I would trust loading data from powder manufacturers.
But things have changed. Some manuals even publish loads touching the maximum average pressure set by SAAMI or CIP.

This will not work in real world. Because the statistics will show if you put that max. load in a sample of 20 cartridges a great amount of them violates safe conditions.

Hartmut

..................DJ

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I can't speak for Dr. Oehler or Shane, but a 38 loaded with the OAL of a 357 (There are 38's you can do this with) is going to have more velocity potential with more powder than a std 38 load fired in a 38, at the same pressure.

When housed in 357s they can be worked up to similar levels as, well, a 357.....and exceed book velocities of a 38, with more powder and pressure and be totally safe. Your basically using speed and pressure data for essentially the same volume of space.

Capacity allows increases in speed.

Wadcutter loads are lighter than SWC loads at the same pressure, for a reason, a 222 Mag will shoot faster than a 223, for a reason.

Get a strain gauge or quit reloading? Fine. I won't beat you over the head with it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can't speak for Dr. Oehler or Shane, but a 38 loaded with the OAL of a 357 (There are 38's you can do this with) is going to have more velocity potential with more powder than a std 38 load fired in a 38, at the same pressure. But why not just use 357 mag brass if you are loading them to that OAL? Is 357 mag brass built to withstand higher pressure than 38 specials? (I don't know but it seems like it would be)

When housed in 357s they can be worked up to similar levels as, well, a 357.....and exceed book velocities of a 38, with more powder and pressure and be totally safe. Your basically using speed and pressure data for essentially the same volume of space.

Wadcutter loads are lighter than SWC loads at the same pressure, for a reason, a 222 Mag will shoot faster than a 223, for a reason.

Get a strain gauge or quit reloading? Fine. I won't beat you over the head with it. I absolutely never said any such thing. I've said that same thing all along - that I think exceeding the Powder companies load data by 4-6 grains and getting velocities 200fps faster isn't good safe reloading practice.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I can't speak for Dr. Oehler or Shane, but a 38 loaded with the OAL of a 357 (There are 38's you can do this with) is going to have more velocity potential with more powder than a std 38 load fired in a 38, at the same pressure. But why not just use 357 mag brass if you are loading them to that OAL? Is 357 mag brass built to withstand higher pressure than 38 specials? (I don't know but it seems like it would be)
357 cases don't fit most 38's, that I'm aware of. Lessining bullet jump can also be advantageous, so people do it. As far as brass goes, it depends, but can be ascertained without guessing.

Get a strain gauge or quit reloading? Fine. I won't beat you over the head with it. I absolutely never said any such thing. I've said that same thing all along - that I think exceeding the Powder companies load data by 4-6 grains and getting velocities 200fps faster isn't good safe reloading practice. Neither are switching primers, in some folk's opinion (not mine)

Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

639 members (160user, 10ring1, 12344mag, 117LBS, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 72 invisible), 2,688 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,737
Posts18,495,026
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.