D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by beretzs
I have looked for those 7mm 140 HPBT GK's since you mentioned em DF and they are rare to catch in stock. I'd bet they are dandys on deer. Eventually I'll find some of them.
Yeah, finding them can be a challenge.

I had some on hand, loaded them, was surprised how well they shot.

Took them deer hunting, pleasantly surprised how well they performed.

I generally don't think "Sierra" when considering deer bullets, but these perform pretty well, exceeded my expectations.

Now, for tougher stuff, I'd probably go with tougher bullets. But, these are tough enough for local WT's and hogs.

DF

To the detriment of their BC, this configuration of the Game King is relatively blunt, with a fat ogive. For my use of the .308", 165 grain version this means I can hang more of the full diameter portion of the bullet out in front of the case mouth without exceeding the magazine length limit. My theory is this aids alignment in the chamber throats and better groups follow.

For my uses the lower BC doesn't amount to much.
Interesting observation.

B.C. not a big issue with me, either. I'm not into long range shooting, 2-300 yds, about my limit for most everything.

DF

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I have looked for those 7mm 140 HPBT GK's since you mentioned em DF and they are rare to catch in stock. I'd bet they are dandys on deer. Eventually I'll find some of them.

I generally don't think "Sierra" when considering deer bullets, but these perform pretty well, exceeded my expectations.

Now, for tougher stuff, I'd probably go with tougher bullets. But, these are tough enough for local WT's and hogs.

DF

To the detriment of their BC, this configuration of the Game King is relatively blunt, with a fat ogive. For my use of the .308", 165 grain version this means I can hang more of the full diameter portion of the bullet out in front of the case mouth without exceeding the magazine length limit. My theory is this aids alignment in the chamber throats and better groups follow.

I picked up some 165 HPBT GK's for just that reason to try in my 308 Montana.

Semper Fi
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

DF

I picked up some 165 HPBT GK's for just that reason to try in my 308 Montana.
Look forward to your report.

DF

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
In the early 2000s before Remington component brass went to pot I used to fill it with 165 grain BTHP Game Kings and 46 grains of Varget for very accurate results in several 308 rifles with factory chambers. It knocked the snot out of hogs too.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
139 Interlocks over Varget at 2800 fps shoots .5" - .7" in two Kimbers.
120 TTSXs over Varget shoot almost as well.

On another note, does anyone have any experience with 120 Hammer Hunters or 132 Hammer HHTs? I'm heading to the range Friday, to shoot a ladder of each till I find pressure. Then I'll back off a grain and start to look for accuracy. I'm anxious to see if they're worth all the hype. Anybody have any wisdom to share?

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Not those Hammers specifically, but some Hammers.

Check out the Absolute Hunter. They can be shot a good bit faster than usual. Google them. Pretty neat technology.

Interesting concept.

DF

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Check out the Absolute Hunter. They can be shot a good bit faster than usual. Google them. Pretty neat technology.

Interesting concept.

DF

I have some 172 .284, 130 .284 and 69 .243 AH's on my bench. The 172's, I plan to try in the 7 Mashburn Super, the 130's in my Kimber 7-08 and the 69's in my 243 or 6 Creed.. Pretty excited to give them a try.

Semper Fi
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Interesting concept.

DF

I have some 172 .284, 130 .284 and 69 .243 AH's on my bench. The 172's, I plan to try in the 7 Mashburn Super, the 130's in my Kimber 7-08 and the 69's in my 243 or 6 Creed.. Pretty excited to give them a try.
Interesting.

DF

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Interesting concept.

DF

Interesting.

DF

Nothing but time! We're having a heat wave right now, might as well load and shoot since I can't ride the snowmobile!

Semper Fi
R
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
R
The 7-08 is one of my favorite cartridges. I have several Remingtons including a custom, a Sako, and have just added a Tikka compact which appears to shoot wonderfully. I usually stay with 140 grain or lighter bullets. I have just come in to a box of Sierra 150 boattails and a box of Hornady 162 SST’s. Thinking about trying both a bit on targets. I usually use Varget or IMR 4064 and have used IMR 4350 with good results. I also have Reloder 15 in good supply. I’m thinking I might try the 4350 first. What are your collective thoughts?
Thanks, and take care!
Rick

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by RickinTN
The 7-08 is one of my favorite cartridges. I have several Remingtons including a custom, a Sako, and have just added a Tikka compact which appears to shoot wonderfully. I usually stay with 140 grain or lighter bullets. I have just come in to a box of Sierra 150 boattails and a box of Hornady 162 SST’s. Thinking about trying both a bit on targets. I usually use Varget or IMR 4064 and have used IMR 4350 with good results. I also have Reloder 15 in good supply. I’m thinking I might try the 4350 first. What are your collective thoughts?
Thanks, and take care!
Rick
As much as I like Varget, don’t forget about BG. Pharmseller has posted a good bit of info on BG in the 7-08.

Check out his posts.

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This has been a very helpful thread for me over the last few years as I've started playing with the 7-08. Thought I'd give back a little bit and share three loads that are working well for me in a rather picky 7-08.

120 gr TTSX/50.0 gr Big Game/WLR primer/Alpha brass seated at 2.805" COAL. I'm getting 2970 fps from a 20" barrel. I could probably step this one up a bit but I'm happy with the accuracy at this level. Nosler data shows the 120 Ballistic Tip and a max load of 52.0 gr of Big Game for 3267 fps from a 26" barrel.

130 gr Speer Boat Tail/48.0 gr StaBALL6.5/WLR primer/PPU brass seated at 2.805" COAL. This one gives 2849 fps from the 20" barrel. Not close to a max load. Mild load for practice but I'm sure it would work fine for deer. Hodgdon data goes clear up to 51.2 gr of StaBALL6.5 with the Sierra 130 gr bullet.

160 gr Speer Hot Cor/46.0 StaBALL6.5/WLR primer/Alpha brass seated at 2.866". Velocity is about 2662 fps from the same 20" barrel. This load is as hot as I care to go with my components in my rifle. Kinda reminiscent of an old fashioned 7x57 load. The Hodgdon site shows that they were able to go clear up to 47.7 gr of StaBALL6.5 and push a Speer 160 Boat Tail 2825 fps from a 24" barrel. I started getting a bit of sticky bolt lift at much above my 46 grains.

General observations: These three loads share almost identical point of impact at 100 yds but, of course, spread out a good bit beyond that. StaBALL6.5 seems to be the velocity king in the 7-08 but I find the numbers on the Hodgdon website to be optimistic in terms of charge weights (in my rifle at least). Contrary to the experience of many others (whom I appreciate and respect), I get slightly better accuracy with NON-magnum primers with Big Game. Varget is accurate but slow. PPU brass is good stuff. Alpha brass is VERY good stuff. I really wanted to shoot 150 gr ELDX's but I couldn't get decent accuracy with 'em outta this rifle - we're talking some groups of 4" for 5 at 100 yds. Best groups with that bullet at around 2". The Hornady 154 gr IL wasn't a whole lot better. It shoots 140 TSX's and 139 IL's decent but shows a marked preference for the Speers. I'm normally ambivalent about Speer bullets but I guess we have to let the rifle decide.

Thanks to all that have contributed!

ttpoz

in silvam ne ligna feras
(don't carry logs into the forest)
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by duckster
I have some 120 grain BT and lots of RL15. Sounds like 44-45 grain works well with that bullet? Rifle is a Sako M75

You'll kick some asss with that load and rifle.

Ended up at 44 gr. with the 120 grain BT. 5 shot groups right at 1 inch consistently. Need to shoot it through the new Garmin chronograph just to see where they are

Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

646 members (16gage, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 12344mag, 160user, 73 invisible), 3,288 guests, and 1,385 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,751
Posts18,476,196
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.