Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I think it's pretty funny that some think the appeal of the H&H is based on "history" or "nostalgia";it's appeal is much more practical than any of those esoteric standards......it's popular(and has been) because it just "works",and has worked since it was introduced.

And those shlepping around heavy 375H&H's,thinking that the Ruger makes a lighter rifle,are only just about 30-40 years behind the times...it might have taken the factories all these years to catch up,but guys in the "know" have been building light ,svelte 375's since the 40's and 50's...no secret...it ain't the actions...it's the stocks and barrels......

The 375H&H is also "available",even in out-of-the-way places where big game is hunted...in our lifetimes, no matter how desperately it's fans may wish,the 375 Ruger(notwithstanding all its' virtues)will never over take the great....375H&H. cool

+1, My 375 H&H Sako 85 SS is a light and very accurate gun. It is nice to shoot and carry. This one will never be replaced by a heavier rifle.

Last edited by 300grains; 11/19/09.
GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
If the .375 H&H is too heavy and long, shooters should get that other piece of perfection the 9.3X62. The so-call .370 magnum is ballistically nothing more than a hot loaded 9.3X62. My 20" barreled CZ 9.3 with less than maximum loads is very close to the published .370 SAKO in velocity.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Your 20" tubed 9.3 CZ is a real nice pkg.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
In my books, a marginal velocity increase such as that offered by the .375 Ruger will not make any measurable difference in the real world of hunting.

Rationally, you're probably right. But all these little details add up to confidence in the rifle in your hands when the time to get close to DG and pull the trigger comes.

Trusting the rifle and cartridge as I lined up the scope on a brown bear at 35 yards or a Cape buffalo inside 70 allowed me concentrate on the shot and not worry about the results. Ruger or H&H, shooter's choice IMHO.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I gotta correct an earlier post; my Classic weighs 9 pounds;not 8, with a 3X leup,and Weaver bases and rings.I was correct about my other LW 375;it's 8 pounds.I just misread the scale.Sorry. blush

After I got off deer stand yesterday, I stopped by the gunstore I frequent and weighed two 375Ruger Africans.One went 8.5 pounds with rings and no scope;the other weighed 8 pounds with no rings and no scope(naked).By the time you add scope and rings to the Ruger African, you are over 9 pounds.

But the stock feels so trim,and it's so nicely balanced, it feels lighter.Still one of the best feeling factory 375's I've run into.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I dunno guys. I grew up with an H&H and shot more than my fair share of moose with it. Great caliber. No complaints at all. But now I only own a Ruger 375 and a 375 Wby built on a Dakota action. Neither have been on a hunt yet but it is the Ruger I grab for trips to the range. It is simply a sweet handling rifle, perhaps that is why I enjoy it so much.
Could live with an H&H and not know the difference but if I were buying new would opt for the Ruger.
Make matters worse last two moose were shot with my 9,3 double. Go figure, lol.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Neither have been on a hunt yet but it is the Ruger I grab for trips to the range. It is simply a sweet handling rifle, perhaps that is why I enjoy it so much. Could live with an H&H and not know the difference but if I were buying new would opt for the Ruger.
...............That`s the whole point. It`s not just the 375 Ruger round, it`s the rifle too.

A few (in the minority), prefer the shortened barrels and shorter OALs from the Africans/Alaskans, the better handling, and "without losing" a thing ballistically to the longer H&Hs. That`s exactly what the 375 Ruger does. That was the goal of Hornady and Ruger in the first place.

In my view, why carry around more rifle length, when one can get the same longer H&H ballistics from a rifle 5" and 6" shorter, as is the case with the 20" tubed Alaskan version!!! That`s why I own the Alaskan.

I didn`t get if for Africa. I instead got it specifically for moose, bison, and the big bears on this continent.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I forgot to mention that Sako 85 Kodiak comes with a 21 1/4" barrel in .375 HH it have a laminated stock. I have never shot one, so i don�t know how the velocity is compared to a 24 3/8" barrel. But the weight is quite ok, it is light, but my 85 SS is still lighter (which I prefer).
You can look it up at www.sako.fi

Last edited by 300grains; 11/20/09.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by 300grains
I forgot to mention that Sako 85 Kodiak comes with a 21 1/4" barrel in .375 HH it have a laminated stock. I have never shot one, so i don�t know how the velocity is compared to a 24 3/8" barrel. But the weight is quite ok, it is light, but my 85 SS is still lighter (which I prefer).
You can look it up at www.sako.fi
.............That 375 H&H Sako 85 Kodiak, which I guess is also available in the 370 Sako, is a sweet looking and no doubt a fine handling rig. It won`t quite match a 20" 375 Ruger in velocity, but it`ll still get `er done with no problems at all.

If I were wanting another 375, I`d really consider that one.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

But the stock feels so trim,and it's so nicely balanced, it feels lighter.Still one of the best feeling factory 375's I've run into.

And, as you imply, the subjective feel of a rifle often means more than exactly how much it weighs.

I'd like to own a 375 or 416 Ruger. However, as I don't need one and already have adequately heavy calibers and adequately light rifles, I reckon I don't much need either.

BS,

The advantage of a shorter barrel is one of the easiest changes one can make to a rifle. If I should ever wish to shorten the 24" barrel on my H&H to 20" the whole M70 Classic will be 40 3/4" in total length. It's really pretty simple. However, I already have a short action, 20" barreled Ruger chambered for a 375 wildcat which pushes 270 grain bullets at 2400 and 300 grainers at 2300. I might even be able to get more safely but what I get seems to be enough for my uses.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
BS,

The advantage of a shorter barrel is one of the easiest changes one can make to a rifle. If I should ever wish to shorten the 24" barrel on my H&H to 20" the whole M70 Classic will be 40 3/4" in total length. It's really pretty simple. However, I already have a short action, 20" barreled Ruger chambered for a 375 wildcat which pushes 270 grain bullets at 2400 and 300 grainers at 2300. I might even be able to get more safely but what I get seems to be enough for my uses. [/quote]................Yes! I did stipulate and acknowledge earlier, that the 375 H&H barrels could be cut down to 20" with an overall rifle length of around 40.75" or so to match the Alaskan`s length.

But the fact remains, that there are no new 375 H&Hs "off the racks" that come as is from the factories with 20" barrels. The closest is the Sako 85 Kodiak with its 21.5" er. That means the rifle, regardless of the simplicity, will have to altered, if someone wishes a shorter 375 H&H along with some added expense and inconvenience.

From the factory and off the rack as is, the 375 Ruger`s added powder case capacity, allows for more velocity from a 20" barrel than from a 24" H&H barrel, and it will equal and maybe even exceed a small margin the 25" H&H barrel too. Cut the H&H down to a 20" it`ll lag even more behind the Ruger.

From my 20" Alaskan.........2808 fps w/270 gr Horn SP; 87 gr H-4350
3016 fps w/225 gr Horn SP; 79.8 gr RL15

Haven`t loaded or chrony a 300 grainer yet, which I really have no need to do for my use.

Not bad uh?? A shorter barrel, a shorter rifle, with equal or better muscle, as is,,,and right off the racks. No futher modifications required.

375 Ruger - The H&H in a better package. Don't need to go faster as shooting the 338, 375 and 458 win mag is all my 160 pound frame can comfortably stand. I packed on twenty pounds with my cheese and peanut diet over the past twenty five years after leaving the service. To me that is why the 375 and 458 win mag do the bulk of killing in africa. You are not fighting the gun and are able to stay focused on shot placement. There is a hot run for the ultra mags and the Lott. Let'em wipe thier shorts every time they pull the trigger, they will come back to the 375, 470 and the 458 winney after they have the shoulder surgery and hearing aids. Ruger did a smart thing but no one needs to trade in a H&H - you have one of the best tools ever made.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by 458steve
375 Ruger - The H&H in a better package. Don't need to go faster as shooting the 338, 375 and 458 win mag is all my 160 pound frame can comfortably stand. I packed on twenty pounds with my cheese and peanut diet over the past twenty five years after leaving the service. To me that is why the 375 and 458 win mag do the bulk of killing in africa. You are not fighting the gun and are able to stay focused on shot placement. There is a hot run for the ultra mags and the Lott. Let'em wipe thier shorts every time they pull the trigger, they will come back to the 375, 470 and the 458 winney after they have the shoulder surgery and hearing aids. Ruger did a smart thing but no one needs to trade in a H&H - you have one of the best tools ever made.
............................H&H is a better pkg? Other than its longer history,, how so? Just because the H&H had a 95 year head start with alot more history, doesn`t make it better. Instead, the Ruger is simply another design form of a 375 caliber and it is not inferior to the H&H by any means. And the 375 Ruger does not need to be proven either. It already has been! I don`t buy this "needs to be proven business!" Proven at what? Shoots the same bullets and is just as accurate.

So as you say! "Because you packed on 20 lbs over the years with a cheese and peanut butter diet, that is why the "375 and 458 Win Mag" do the bulk of the killing in Africa"???? OOOOOH!...OOOOOKAAAY! If you say so!!!

And BTW! I stay very focused when using the Ruger, with excellent shot placement and without fighting the gun. However at your present 160 lbs, (140 lbs in the service?), you may have a problem in that area??? And if or when I wipe my shorts, laugh need shoulder surgery laugh or a hearing aid, laugh go back to the 375 H&H, the 470??? (now that`s funny) laugh laugh :D, or get a 458 Winney, you`ll be the first to know!

Grab yourself another beer! You haven`t had enough yet tonight!...... laugh laugh laugh laugh

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
More difference between Ginger and Mary Anne, but either would be OK. Take your pick and enjoy.

[Linked Image]
375 Ruger on left, 375 H&H on right, 30-40 Krag in center for comparison

Last edited by 86thecat; 11/21/09.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
So,seems to me what has been established by this thread is:

1)The 375 Ruger in the African and the Alaskan are a pretty nice blend of a great cartridge and rugged,reliable rifles in an "over the counter" package at a price point most everyone can afford.(Although IMHO the synthetic stock on the Alaskan absolutely sucks,necessitating the cost of replacing it with a "real" stock.)

2) What one cartridge will do, the other will do,fractional differences in velocity notwithstanding.

3)Setting aside cost for a moment,the "advantages" of "lighter/shorter" for the 375 Ruger are a myth.

4)You can take a 375 Ruger to Africa if you don't mind not being able to get ammo (yet).You are probably OK in Alaska.I dunno.....

5)The 375 Ruger may unseat the 375H&H at some point in time,but it's doubtful it's gonna happen anytime soon.

6) Squeeze seems to be the only one who really cares about 20" barreled 375's and 2800 fps with a 270 gr bullet grin

Personally,when custom smiths like D'Arcy Echols start chambering for the Ruger as a regular item,and I can get ammo anywhere I go, I'll start paying attention......till then.....the H&H still reigns supreme! wink laugh

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bob, IMO you pretty covered and ended this discussion. Well said my friend.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I would pick 375 H&H for the sole reason that you could buy ammo all over the world.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
So,seems to me what has been established by this thread is:

1)The 375 Ruger in the African and the Alaskan are a pretty nice blend of a great cartridge and rugged,reliable rifles in an "over the counter" package at a price point most everyone can afford.(Although IMHO the synthetic stock on the Alaskan absolutely sucks,necessitating the cost of replacing it with a "real" stock.)

2) What one cartridge will do, the other will do,fractional differences in velocity notwithstanding.

3)Setting aside cost for a moment,the "advantages" of "lighter/shorter" for the 375 Ruger are a myth.

4)You can take a 375 Ruger to Africa if you don't mind not being able to get ammo (yet).You are probably OK in Alaska.I dunno.....

5)The 375 Ruger may unseat the 375H&H at some point in time,but it's doubtful it's gonna happen anytime soon.

6) Squeeze seems to be the only one who really cares about 20" barreled 375's and 2800 fps with a 270 gr bullet grin

Personally,when custom smiths like D'Arcy Echols start chambering for the Ruger as a regular item,and I can get ammo anywhere I go, I'll start paying attention......till then.....the H&H still reigns supreme! wink laugh

...............#1)....."I like" the Hogue stock! It`s fine for me and very good for my large hands!....#2) Yes The velocity doesn`t matter that much in the field, as I`ve always stated.....#3)Advantages of lighter/shorter barrel a myth?....Absolute Horse-Puckey when it comes to the 375 Ruger!!....The myths are?.....In ballistic performance? Nope that can`t be right. Cut any H&H barrel down to 20", the 20" 375 Ruger will smoke the H&H by a good 120 fps if not more.....Another myth? 5" to 6" shorter rifles don`t handle better? BUNK! So that can`t be right!.......What exactly are these shorter and lighter myths?.....#4)Didn`t get the 375 Ruger to go to Africa, so I won`t have an ammo issue.......#5) The Ruger round as Hornady says; "wasn`t developed to un-seat the H&H!......#6)Even though the Ruger has better velocity capablities which is trivial, nevertheless, it`s still a fact........#7) Don`t care about any custom "gunsmiths", let alone D`Arcy Echols, as to whether or not they would choose to build or own a 375 Ruger or not. Gunsmiths and their opinions, have absolutely no influence or bearing on any decision as to which cartridge I own or may own...............Maybe for you though!

Though the H&H, does reign supreme in "ONLY" two categories. Factory ammo availability in many parts of the world (but nevermind its 95 year head start over the Ruger). But, I haven`t read or heard of anyone yet, who has been unable to use their 375 Ruger while in Africa, nor read about any 375 Ruger owners who could not get their brass or factory ammo. Maybe in some small, distant and secluded town somewhere it could be an issue, but that won`t apply to most owners and certainly not to me.....In the second category of course, it does "reign supreme" in the minds of those, who "emotionally" feel they need some history, some nostalgia, or some other type of historical or classic significance built in to a rifle cartridge.

Stating as a former H&H owner. Other than those two above categories alone which are more justified, the H&H has no advantage over the Ruger in any other category!,,,,,Zip,,,,Zero,,,,Nada.........

Oh yeah! I forgot one! The H&H does have the capacity for one more round in the magazine and chamber, but with a 3+1 that the Ruger has, I really don`t consider that a dis-advantage for any N/A big game. If one needs five rounds to get `er done in N/A, that`s not saying too much for the one needing the five.

Can`t speak for anywhere else, but interestingly my dealer (the owner), tells me that new 375 Rugers are outselling all new 375 H&Hs combined in both his stores by a 3 to 1 margin. Some are even trading in their older H&Hs for the Ruger.

I guess all that history and nostalgia is kinda wearing off a little.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I will stick with my old H&H, but I don't believe its one bit better then the 375 Ruger and certainly has nothing at all to offer over the Ruger, quit the contrary as a matter of fact...

What I really think is folks who own a rifle and like it just get upset when something better comes along and they all get their shorts in a wad..:) smile

I accept the .375 H&H for what it is and the new kid on the block for what it is and that is one damn fine caliber. I will keep my old outdated, nostalgic, poorly designed case, well used .375 H&H because it has served me so well over the years and I have about 3000 rounds of ammo for it, dies and whatever. I don't need to improve on it..and yes, I am such a gun whore that I might even sell it and if I do I will make another as I have so much ammo, but if someone bought it and the ammo then I would go with the new kid on the block, the 375 Ruger..its a dandy.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by atkinson
I will stick with my old H&H, but I don't believe its one bit better then the 375 Ruger and certainly has nothing at all to offer over the Ruger, quit the contrary as a matter of fact...

What I really think is folks who own a rifle and like it just get upset when something better comes along and they all get their shorts in a wad..:) smile

I accept the .375 H&H for what it is and the new kid on the block for what it is and that is one damn fine caliber. I will keep my old outdated, nostalgic, poorly designed case, well used .375 H&H because it has served me so well over the years and I have about 3000 rounds of ammo for it, dies and whatever. I don't need to improve on it..and yes, I am such a gun whore that I might even sell it and if I do I will make another as I have so much ammo, but if someone bought it and the ammo then I would go with the new kid on the block, the 375 Ruger..its a dandy.
..............Yep! If one has an H&H, is happy with it, and is buried in H&H ammo, H&H dies and so on, I wouldn`t trade for a 375 Ruger either.

But it does seem as though, that the 375 Ruger is kinda like the Sarah Palin to many die-hard H&H owners who "may" and more than likely, have some built-in resentment for the new round.....In that, this new round (3 years old now), has gained more popularity in such a short period of time, than any other cartridge in history; (a Boddington paraphrase; not mine).

The 375 Ruger primarily targets new 375 buyers, and those who may wish to trade-in their H&Hs.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1234, 12344mag, 58 invisible), 2,266 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,392
Posts18,488,767
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.