Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Yes, but Jorge you don't have to listen to my clients scream bloody murder when they get a bill from Africa, British Airlines, Fish and Game, or a screwed up mount, or the wrong head or at least one they believe to be the wrong head, etc., etc....

That is why, when asked about a taxidermist, a gunsmith, or a travel agency by a clients, I make it very clear that I will not be held responsible for what other folks do, and that will be in writing.. if it goes sour I get blamed for it and I just cannot be responsible for anything other than my business, I have no control over that...

I hear horror stories about failed taxidermy all the time from prospective clients telling me about their last years taxidermy problems, and they want my opine on the subject and I just tell them to have it done in the USA, where they have access to the taxidermist and lawyers..I learned all this the hard way.

I personally got a buffalo and Hartebeest shoulder mount back from Tanzania a couple of years ago, that had been done in RSA by a RSA Taxidermist, both were rotted and the skins ruined by the time they got to me..Fortunatly I had a extra Buffalo cape and didn't care about the Hartebeest..It would have been better if I had used a USA taxidermist, but I did not because a good friend had the work done for me as a gift, it just didn't turn out...

All I can say is do as you wish, and that you have all been forewarned..

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Why are you listening to the scream if you have it in writing you have nothing to do with taxidermy? Bad Taxidermy?
What, there are NO bad taxidermsts in the US? A good friend of mine lost a bunch of good mounts to a domestic taxidermist who disappeared never to be heard from again. Bad gunsmith? I'm out almost seven grand to a US Smith whom I've sued, won a judgment and even have an arrest warrant out on him and I still can't gt my money back.

My original point was regarding your original statement of "By the time you are done it costs the same." But I guess I just lucked out. I saved LOTS of money, have good trophies and will do so again. Do your homework, get references and make a well-reasoned decision coupled with some risk mitigation and save money. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
The first time I went to Africa, I had my trophies mounted by a local U.S.A. taxidermist who has won many competitions. From the time he got my trophies until I had them it was almost 3 years.

The second time I went to Africa, I used Life-Form Taxidermy. From the time they got my trophies until they were on my doorstep only 1 year and 2 months had elapsed and, in my opinion, the trophies look better than the ones I had done in the U.S.A. and they were done and shipped for less money. There is no doubt that if Life-Form Taxidermy is an option on my next trip that I'll use them.

I think some of the taxidermists in Africa do substandard work and I would never use a particular one without some type of references from satisfied clients. It's pretty common for outfitters to try to push you to use "their" taxidermist; probably because they get some kind of kickback from the deal. It would make things go more smoothly if you can arrive at some understanding as to what taxidermist you'll use before you go.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
While I've not used Lifeform for taxidermy, I did have them tan all my capes/backskins, before shipping them to the US. They did it fast(about 9 months), and did a great job. I've also seen muledeers trophies in person, and the company that did his, did a very nice job IMO. I'd consider having Lifeform do a mount or two, next time.

Jeff

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have had two trips to Africa, hunting the Eastern Cape with Africa Bushveld Safaris both times. The first trip I took seven good animals, and based on the recommendation of the operator, had the taxidermy done by Karl Human taxidermy in RSA. The cost, including shipping was significantly less than if I had used a taxidermist over here.

Based on the outcome of that experience, I again used Karl Human to do the six animals I took in 2008. Once again, I was/am well satisfied with the taxidermy work and it arrived at my door within a year at the previously agreed on price.

When I go back, I will have the taxidermy done over there, as it has worked for me.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
sharpsguy,

The shipping is what made me shy away from having the mounts done in Africa. I was afraid the volume of the crate needed for mounts, would be so huge, the freight would eat up the savings. Then, I happened to visit muledeer not long after his stuff arrived, and he still had the crate. It proved conclusively, that you can indeed fit 10 gallons of $hit in a 5 gallon bucket! grin How they got all that stuff in a crate of that size, is amazing. I'm giving the Africans a try, next trip.

Jeff

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I hear you. It's almost like they melt the trophies and pour them into the crate. But everything was there and in good order both times.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Jorge,
Aside from the comments, all I am saying is that its easier to solve issues in ones own country, if you disagree then that is your decision and I have no problem with it..

Last edited by atkinson; 11/30/09.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Absolutely is somewhat easier to solve problems locally, no doubt about that, and I didn't disagree with that Ray. I just took exception to your comments that there are no savings to be had if you have your taxidermy done in Africa when clearly there are. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Jorge
I don't doubt you saved if you say so..but today with excessive shipping costs, I get all sorts of complaints in the way of conversation from returning clients..and although I no longer make recommendations on many things I still enjoy being their pounding board! smile smile smile

Maybe it applies to having shoulder mounts done and inasmuch as they charge by the size of the crate and weight it has become more expensive..

I was going by what clients have told me as I only have the skulls shipped home these days and ocassionally a cape or skin. I do have all skins tanned in RSA as they do such a beautiful job and we don't tan so well over here. I am told it is because of OSHA's regulations.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not OSHA, but the Environmental agency. RSA can use chemicals that have been banned here for 20 years now.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (1lessdog, 22250rem, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 1badf350, 68 invisible), 2,462 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,949
Posts18,519,247
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.