Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
jmj Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Local shop has one, dark wood, 7-08. I've got the hots for it. Opinions???
And don't say buy a Rem 700, have two of those and love them..
I like variety in women and guns...:)

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If you got the hots for it buy it. Do not let what we think stop you.lol. Buy it and then let us know what you think of the rifle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
JMJ,

I bought one (7WSM) and have been really pleased with it. It has shot everything I have thrown in very well.

My favorite thing about the rifle is the stock design, I really like the fit.

I put an Ernie the Gunsmith trigger spring in and have a 2 lb, trigger pull.

They are good rifles.

JM.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
On previous threads, there have been some mixed opinions posted about the X Bolts.

As with Tikkas also, I`m not a big fan of detachable magazines and loading from the bottom. Prefer the `ol fashioned way from the top. Secondly, there have reports of past feeding problems with their "S" curve feeding system. Other than those two things, everything else looks very good.

Their satin wood/matte barrel finish, makes for a very good looking rifle. They have a different but functionally designed stock in the fore-end and as usual the nice 60 degree bolt lift.

Give it a try!

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

J
jmj Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I think I'm going to get it Saturday. I'm going to fondle it one more time. He's got a good deal on a stainless A bolt 243 WSSM.
It feels good too. Maybe a package deal, who knows..

IC B2

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The X-Bolt is a good rifle, well designed and manufactured, but it is not for me. I like Model 70's, but that's my problem for which I am getting treated.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have only shot one X-Bolt, a .308 which shot VERY well with Winchester factory loads. I liked the rifle. It functioned perfectly, including loading from on top, and was light but very well balanced. The trigger was good too.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I've been very happy with mine in 270win. It's lighter, smaller, and shoots better than my Sako 85. The magazine system is excellent, lightweight, and feeds single stack super smooth. Trigger is excellent and I turned mine down to 3lbs. I like the slender fluted forearm and small buttstock. Recoil pad is possibly the best I've ever seen. Great rifle. I'll probably get another.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
in my experience, nothing that has a Buckmark on it has been junk.

i have been VERY happy with all brownings i have shot.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
JMJ,

I bought one (7WSM) and have been really pleased with it. It has shot everything I have thrown in very well.

My favorite thing about the rifle is the stock design, I really like the fit.

I put an Ernie the Gunsmith trigger spring in and have a 2 lb, trigger pull.

They are good rifles.

JM.

I couldn't agree more. I have a 30-06 X-Bolt and it fits me like a glove. I need to load for it, but it is real close to MOA with factory loads.

IC B3

J
jmj Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Thanks all. Good info. I'll have to say I'm a Browning fan. Got several A-bolts, and for me, they can't be beat. To each his own, but I love them. Now what kind of glass to put on it.......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
JT,

Have you tried Win. Supreme 180 Accubonds or 150 Win. XP3's?

A friend bough the same rifle you have and it consistently shot groups in the high.6's to mid .7's with both of these.

I shoot 160 gr. Accubonds out of mine and stay in the .6's all day long (3-shot groups when it wasn't a 100 deg. outside)

The most accurate were the BT's, but neither of us hunt with those.

Best,

JM

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
JMJ,

As far as the scope is concerned, don't do what I did.

I bought a Nikon Monarch X 2.5x10x44 with a 30MM tube. Great scope and I really like it.

I mounted it in a Deadnutz game reaper 1 piece low mount. Everything was great until I went to eject a round.

The large windage knob made contact with the spent case as it was coming out of the chamber and would knock it right back into the chamber blush

I moved the scope a little forward hoping to correct the problem, but it didn't help. So, I decided I would have to get higher mounts. In the mean time, I kept shooting it and learned how to sling the shell free with a quick flip of both wrists while pulling the bolt back.

This idiot decided to leave it as is, since it shot so well, and was so comfortable in the original set up, I hated to change it.

Just make sure if you buy a scope with turrets and mount it really low that you have the clearance to eject spent shells. Bring an empty with you when fitting your scope.

[Linked Image]

Best,

JM

J
jmj Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Thanks.. Good advice. I was leaning the Nikon route. Had my eye on the 4-16x42 Monarch
The older I get, I find I like the higher power. I hunt alot of clear cuts and planted pines. You can literally see a mile in every direction.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The scope I put on this rifle is my highest power yet. I usually lean towards fixed 6's and 4's and have a couple of 3x9's, but like you me old eyes is getting tired so I wanted some help.

I had my mind made up on the Monarch X 4x16, but when it came down to it, I just couldn't make myself get it, so I bought the 2x10.

I am slowly learning and changing from my old ways, but I must take small steps.... wink

J
jmj Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J

Well, I ended up with the x-bolt in 7mm-08. Also did something I haven't done in ages....bought a Weaver scope.
It went something like this:
Saleskid: can i interest you in a scope?
Me: Naw, i have one at home.
saleskid: we have a great special on this Weaver. They make a great scope.
Me: son, I was hunting with Weavers before you were a spark in your Daddy's eyes....

At any rate, I put a 4-16x42 Weaver on it. The optics look pretty good here in the yard. Now what to do this afternoon, bow hunt, or shoot the new weapon...
Thanks for all the advise, I'll let you know. I've got some Federal 140's with Barnes xxx.

[/quote]

Last edited by jmj; 11/07/09.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Bought a stainless stalker version over the summer and mounted a Zeiss Conquest 3x9 in factory Browning X-lock mounts (Talley) and it turned out to be a great package. 7-08 too! It will shoot Nosler BT's into the .7's and .8's. Gun is a little picky about how it rides the front rest for the best accuracy. Probably because of the lightweight and slender forearm. But I echo all the great comments others have posted. You won't be sorry!

A man's got to know his limitations!
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
JT,

Have you tried Win. Supreme 180 Accubonds or 150 Win. XP3's?

A friend bough the same rifle you have and it consistently shot groups in the high.6's to mid .7's with both of these.

I shoot 160 gr. Accubonds out of mine and stay in the .6's all day long (3-shot groups when it wasn't a 100 deg. outside)

The most accurate were the BT's, but neither of us hunt with those.

Best,

JM

I will have to give those a try. I just purchased some 165 SST's and Fusions to try for my WV deer hunting trip.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
This was the Hornday 165 SST's at hundred yards. I am very pleased with the accuracy of the X-Bolt. I might have to get another...........

Attached Images
1112091458.jpg (55.24 KB, 114 downloads)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good group there JTD,

Was the loner your 3rd shot? Reason I ask is that I can shoot the first 2 touching, but the 3rd would wander a little.

If I let my barrel cool after my second shot for about 5-10 minutes, I could put them all together.

Best,

JM

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 50 invisible), 2,278 guests, and 1,134 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,643
Posts18,493,327
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.