Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I know it's been labeled a sub-par gun, but there are Remington 770 scoped packages running for $319 after rebate.

Last edited by TDMax; 11/19/09.
HR IC

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
$300 limit on a new gun? Marlin or Stevens.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
The Marlin XL or XS 7s have gotten consistently strong reviews from actual owners/users. They're not stone ugly, they shoot very accurately out of the box and they're within the budget you are have. Also, they are available in a respectable variety of calibers. The Howas usually are priced higher as are the Vanguards. They are the same rifle with a different roll stamp. The Marlin is more rifle than the Stevens. I'm thinking about picking the Marlin in 25-06 as a matter of principle. Rooster

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 43 2N
$300 limit on a new gun? Marlin or Stevens.

I'd take the Marlin over the Stevens. You get more for your money. Better pad and trigger to start.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I don't have any experience with the marlins. I own three savages and they all three shoot lights out with my reloads. One of them in 22-250 a stevens will shoot fatory 55 grain remmy psp at .75 moa all day long. I'd go with the 7mm-08 I seen quite a few of our Pa whitetail take a big smackdown with that round. My father-in-law has been crumbling them with it for years.

Nothing like a fine shotgun and a good bird dog.
Franchi Veloce O/U, 7Rm and Orvis rod.
IC B2

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Just plain avoid the Mossberg. Mossberg has a history of short production runs on models, and no support for them when they quite making them. Marlin, not so sure, they make some forever, some not. The Stevens / Savage has been around forever and will definitely have aftermarket support forever.

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Cabela's and Bass Pro Shop have offered the very excellent Marlin XL-7 and XS-7 for around $280 a couple different times during 2009.

NOMB, but with so little public land in TX, where is the kid going to hunt?

Jeff

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My buddy just bought the Marlin in 308. It is alot of gun for the money and very accurate right out of the box. I wish they made the youth in a lefty version as I would buy my son one in a second. My vote is for a Marlin in 7mm-08 or 270.

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I have a vanguard/howa and a marlin xl-7. The howa's are pretty heavy compared to the marlins. I'd go with the marlin for your purpose.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by fburgtx

The Mossbergs are just cheap guns. Also, avoid the Remington 710/770's (the 700 is fine).

I know nothing of the newer 770, but I can vouch for the accuracy and quality of the 710 considering its price.

I have a 710 in .270 that I bought from a coworker last year. It had only been run through about 100 rounds total between the range and hunting. The guy had a album of pictures showing the things he had killed with that rifle. Everything from coyotes to hogs to deer.

I bought that gun from him and never took it too the range, going on his current sight in of 150 yards. Last year I dropped 2 deer in their tracks with 2 shots. Both shots hit exactly where I was aiming. I sat for 2 hours in freezing rain with the rifle and never had a problem with it when I shot one of those 2 deer.

This year, I took a small button buck at 80 yards with a neck shot. Dead center neck, right where I was aiming.

I know alot of people talk trash about this gun; but I have to step in and defend it from my own personal point of view. I've hunted with a Rem 700 for years up until it was stolen and I think, for the price, the 710 is comparable.

As long as it shoots, and shoots accurately, it should be a fine starter rifle.

Once again, I cannot comment on the 770 and thus I have no idea of the differences between the 2.

This is my 710 .270 that I custom painted:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by CraigCollier; 11/19/09. Reason: Added caliber and pics.

Craig R. Collier
~Grizzly Custom Knives~
IC B3

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

For $300 you can get a very reliable rifle - new. I bought my son-in-law a Savage .30-06 for that price as a wedding present. The Stevens are even less (basiclally a Savage without much attention to cosmetics) and the Marlin X-7s are quite nice. I expect any of them will last a lifetime and then some.

Oh I'm certain one could, just in my weird little mind I think of the saying "You get what you pay for", you pay $300 don't expect more than $300 worth out of it. Stupid I know as I have zero experience with Marlin or Stevens, just the way I have to justify the nicer things I guess.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've owned a 710 in 30-06 that was a good shooter, but having owned a Marlin XS-7 and shot a couple of Marlin XL-7s, I can tell you from persona experience that the Marlin is a much better rifle than the Remington 710 series. Better than or equal to in every catagory that you could judge or grade.

Jeff

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by LNF150
Originally Posted by srwshooter
another option , nef handi rifle. i've seen lots of kids started out on these rifles and they are very inexpensive.

Not trying to jack this thread, but has anyone heard of any bad things with a handi rifle (besides having a club for a stock)??? Because this would be an option for this 16 year old with no more $$$ involved, then as he gets older and has his own money, he can buy any gun he wants. One CF member not long ago said he sighted in his BIL's 270 handi and was impressed with the accuracy. I've got a friend who's 14 yr old dot kills KS whitetails with her 243 handi (has yet to miss a deer anyway). I have zero experience with those rifles, but if they are really accurate, then a young hunter isn't going to complain or at least I wouldn't have if it was given to me.

I can't compain about the accuracy, I picked up a very roughly treated 223 handrifle (couldn't pass it up for $70), cut a new crown on it, filed off the dings, steel wooled off the rust and put on some iron sights (the originals were broken off). It'll print 3 shots into 1" at 100 yds, with relatively crude iron sights!

I don't like the ergonomics of the gun, and the stock design causes the rifle to produce more recoil than guns with better stock designs. My biggest complaint is the ejector has very little leverage. If you have a load that is slightly on the hot side, the gun won't eject the case, and you'll need a cleaning rod to get the case out. Loads that function fine, with no pressure signs, in a rem 700 and an ar-15 will stick on occasion in the handi rifle. Also when you scope a handi rifle it is difficult to cock the rifle, and I don't like the hammer extensions.

To the op, I'd try and convince the mom to let you find him a nice used rifle.

Lou_270 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for all the input so far. I looked over the marlin, mossberg, & vangaurd over lunch. It will probably be the marlin everything considered.

Somebody asked where the kid is going to hunt. I have a lease and will try and pull some strings there. Typically no guests, but the guys like kids and may be willing for an exception so long as what he shoots counts toward my limit. I also have a couple of other connections with some property that I never asked for myself, but will try with the kid. If that doesn't work will look the public land route though may have to wait for next year for that one.

Thanks Again,

Lou

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
$300 limit on a new gun?

She knows she's going to need a scope too, right?

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Lou_270 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
$300 limit on a new gun?

She knows she's going to need a scope too, right?

Yes. I will probably donate one.

Lou

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I've owned a 710 in 30-06 that was a good shooter, but having owned a Marlin XS-7 and shot a couple of Marlin XL-7s, I can tell you from persona experience that the Marlin is a much better rifle than the Remington 710 series. Better than or equal to in every catagory that you could judge or grade.

Jeff

If someone gave me a 710 or 770 it would get traded very quickly. Not my cup of tea, and I've looked at them both.

The best deals I've found are used rifles. My M700BDL in .308 Win is a tack driver and cost me $350 used. Looks like new.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 11/19/09.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mossberg: Have heard some pretty bad things. Normally that wouldn't phase me, but the absence of any glowing reviews is a concern.

Savage/Stevens: Ugly rifles that shoot lights-out straight out of the box.

Howa: Gonna be harder to find one within budget unless it is on sale.

Marlin: XL-7 gets some good reviews and a few bad. I have never owned a Marlin that wasn't fun to shoot. And by that I mean, they have always been as accurate as I am offhand.

Handi-rifle: I like em. Drawback, single shot. Bonus, You could put a pretty fair set of glasses on it and stay under budget.

Remington SP1 International: Another single shot, but a stylistic one that comes with irons attached. (if that's worth anything)

...new laws were most numerous when the commonwealth was most corrupt. ~ Publius Cornelius Tacitus
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
i just bought the 399 weatherby in 257 wby mag i love it cant beat it 4 the money

You can shear a sheep many times.But you can only skin him once!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Start the boy off right with a quality rifle. She has 300.00, she only needs another 250.00 for a new Hawkeye in say, 7mm-08 or 308 Win. I'd suggest a 257 Roberts, but factory ammunition is mostly crap.

25 people kick in $10 a piece and we'll make a boy a man in a hurry. At least get him headed in the right direction. I'll kick in $20.00

Retired and Loving It!!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (Akhutr, 358wsm, 2500HD, 1_deuce, 12 invisible), 1,507 guests, and 812 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,924
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.